New guy, and New Dealership!

Guest teethandnails

Guest teethandnails

Hi all, my name is David Mack, and work sales for the brand new Vespa of Baton Rouge. We also carry the full line of Moto Guzzi, and Aprilia. I am here mainly for product knowledge, but also I am considering a guzzi sometime soon so I would like to find out for my self what sort of tips and tricks there are for the guzzi's.

Now, I know how much I like group buys and hot deals on merch and parts, so hopefully we will be running some group buys and special deals on after market and oem Moto Guzzi parts. Feel free to let me know what sort of parts would be good for something like that!

Also, if you are in Southern Louisiana, and would like to come see and perhaps ride a Guzzi or Aprilia, just give us a call, or drop in mon-sat 8:30-7...address is listed in the sig.

Thanks guys.

-David Mack

If you are new to Guzzi and genuinely want to learn about the marque the FIRST thing you need to do is to wtite to Moto International in Seattle and buy a copy of the owners superb tome 'Guzziology'. Not only is it ridiculously cheap for all the information it contains but it is continuously upgraded.

As a new dealer you will probably not be interested that much in the older models but as long as you have knowledgeable mechanics who are interested in Guzzis you will find that there is good money to be made servicing and repairing older models as well. In real terms there are very few differences between the V7 of 1967 and the Breva/Griso and Norge of today, really, I kid you not! I've said it before, I'll believe that Guzzi have a truly *New* engine when the part number for the rear main bearing changes, it's been the same since '67 :grin:

They are delightfully simple and very, very strong. No they are not fast and yes they are heavy but they are superb 'Road' as opposed to 'Track' motorbikes. The secret to success with Guzzi lies in making the customer's happy. This it seems is a big ask, especially in the USA, if you depend on the importer. I suggest you become friendly with Peter Bradley and Alis Agostini at Agostini's in Italy, they are just over the lake from the factory and usually have most of the stuff that others seem to think is 'Unobtainium'. There are a number of other sources in Europe as well, some of whom speak English, some don't, Ago's is a good starting point as both Peter, (Who's and Aussie.) and Alis, (The boss's daughter.) speak fluent English and are nice people to boot. The respond well to e-mail too.

The forums can be helpful too, I pick up useful tips on them the whole time and I've been working on Guzzis for 25 years! It all depends whether one's pride allows one to ask and take advice or simply go at it like a bull in a china shop :grin: . I find the former more useful and always less costly which leaves more money for important stuff like :bier: !

Certainly If I can offer any help or advice please don't hesitate to email me, (I'm a bit far away for a phone call :grin: ) motomoda_at_optusnet.com.au

Pete

For the historical perspective I would suggest Moto Guzzi Big Twins By Greg Field. He works for Moto Int. as well and his book is very well written and enjoyable.

Guzzisti are very well informed and are often disappointed by dealers who can't be bothered to read up or fire up the computer.

DW

Guest teethandnails

I am not here just to sell or be a dealer....I am an individual who works for a shop just opened looking to grow business and interest for guzzi's in our area. I have been reading alot of articles. reviews, as well as some books on motorcycle history from Barnes and Noble. I have never really paid a whole lot of attention to the Guzzi's...but now I am I am really enjoying them...especially riding the Breva 750 demo we have...its a real gem.

-David

I am not here just to sell or be a dealer....I am an individual who works for a shop just opened looking to grow business and interest for guzzi's in our area. I have been reading alot of articles. reviews, as well as some books on motorcycle history from Barnes and Noble. I have never really paid a whole lot of attention to the Guzzi's...but now I am I am really enjoying them...especially riding the Breva 750 demo we have...its a real gem.

-David

Well, you came to the right place for info on the big block models; I'd also suggest the wildguzzi.com/forum for additional educational material, where the focus leans considerably more toward the classic Tonti framed bikes and the more recent Cali/cruiser models rather than the spine frame models favored here.

In exchange, you might want to post info about good rides/eats/camps around Baton Rouge for those Guzzisti unfamiliar with the area who may be interested in passing thru or coming to visit someday; don't forget, v11LM has readers quite literally from all over the world, and more than one have been known to come visit Stateside...

;)

Ride on!

:mg:

PS: Why is it called Red Stick?

Well hello Louisiana,

My wife and I flew down to New Orleans in April of 2004 to purchase my '03 Rosso Corsa from the Materene's of Vespa New Orleans. If I understand correctly, that shop was wiped out by Katrina, and they have relocated to mid town and Baton Rouge? If they are the shop owners, please say hello from Andrew and Terry DiMizio from Santa Barbara. My LeMans is running beautifully, and we still remember the hospitality and good times we had during the deal.

louisana4.04_020.jpg

Guest teethandnails

Well hello Louisiana,

My wife and I flew down to New Orleans in April of 2004 to purchase my '03 Rosso Corsa from the Materene's of Vespa New Orleans. If I understand correctly, that shop was wiped out by Katrina, and they have relocated to mid town and Baton Rouge? If they are the shop owners, please say hello from Andrew and Terry DiMizio from Santa Barbara. My LeMans is running beautifully, and we still remember the hospitality and good times we had during the deal.

We are completely separate from Vespa of New Orleans. I am glad for a warm welcome. Can't say the same for the Aprilia Forum....thought I was going to be head hunted. Thanks yall.

-David.

PS...blame the Cajuns for red stick...lol

We are completely separate from Vespa of New Orleans. I am glad for a warm welcome. Can't say the same for the Aprilia Forum....thought I was going to be head hunted. Thanks yall.

-David.

That's cool....it's all good. It always amazes me how small this planet can really be nowadays. Damn internet!

Thanks for supporting the Guzzisti!

-David.

What's red stick?

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a warmer welcome on the Aprilia forum. We have a number of forum regulars who work with Guzzi's in one way or another. I'm glad they're here- they add value to discussions.

Guest teethandnails

What's red stick?

I'm sorry to hear you didn't get a warmer welcome on the Aprilia forum. We have a number of forum regulars who work with Guzzi's in one way or another. I'm glad they're here- they add value to discussions.

Baton Rouge = Red Stick

Yeah....hopefully I will learn and be able to add to other's posts. I also intend to write some reviews on bikes once I get my hands on them :race: .

David,

Feel free to call with questions/concerns.

It is good to hear a real dealer is stepping up in La.

Vespa of NO seemed lacking, and then had other troubles.

Welcome to "the Guzzi way"

I am of no help re the other bikes,

but will happy to assist/guide as I am able with Guzzi matters.

May cost you a bowl of Gumbo at next year's Swamp Scooters Rally :D

Todd Haven

Parts Manager,

MPH Cycles

Houston Tx

281-647-6557

todd-@-mphcycles.com

:homer::homer::homer: I shoulda' known that after all the French I took in college.

/beats head on wall

you might want this... headbang.gif

this one might be good for dave or rachet soapbox.gif

I have had mixed feelings on the aprilia forum they seem for the most part a little hoighty-toighty

I kinda like that breva 750 as well, if I was at a larger college campus or was looking for a scooter, I'd get the breva 750 first b4 I cosign myself to a scooter. :grin:

Guzzi people are like none other. (overall) good? bad? I guess that depends on how you look at it. :whistle: