Failure!!

staedtler

Guest StevePorscheS2

OK Guys, I think I have figured out how to reply to issues posted here! Over a year ago I had a bottom end failure on a very low mileage "Nero Corsa" V11. The failure sounded like a half dozen rocks flying around in the crankcase without a IFR flight plan. The bike had to be trailered to San Francisco, from Sacramento, as nthe local dealer terminated buisiness with Moto Guzzi. (Read on for the reason) As of this December 12th 2006, my beloved machine will have been in the shop for 12 months. NO that is NOT a Typo. It seems as if funds (read: large sums) were being held back from dealers (according to the dealers) during the Piaggio buy-out, to such an extent that some dealers could not in good faith keep turning out warranty work. Dealerships are not lending institutions for motorcycle factories. Then the U.S. parts warehouse was relocated and that caused a disruption in parts flow. Plus, it is common for dealers to first service their "own customers", before deealing with out of town repair issues. Anyway, I hope this doesn't scare you too much! Things seem to have improved, as my parts have arrived. Bottom end failures DO happen, and I hope your situation goes smooth. If anyone at the factory would like a word with me: Steven Bradshaw (916) 871-0777. I would LOVE to talk with them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gary Cheek

Sorry Gary, I don't swing that way. I don't care how cute you are or how many times you drop your drawers for me - not interested.

Rj

Don't be sorry, I'm quite happy to hear it. Likely a misinterpretation of your emoticon. Couldn't quite decipher the graphics.

Let's get back to the thread topic now please and let go of the "who's right and who's wrong" argument. I'm not posting again on this. This was only meant as a little rib...

OK Guys, I think I have figured out how to reply to issues posted here! Over a year ago I had a bottom end failure on a very low mileage "Nero Corsa" V11. The failure sounded like a half dozen rocks flying around in the crankcase without a IFR flight plan. The bike had to be trailered to San Francisco, from Sacramento, as nthe local dealer terminated buisiness with Moto Guzzi. (Read on for the reason) As of this December 12th 2006, my beloved machine will have been in the shop for 12 months. NO that is NOT a Typo. It seems as if funds (read: large sums) were being held back from dealers (according to the dealers) during the Piaggio buy-out, to such an extent that some dealers could not in good faith keep turning out warranty work. Dealerships are not lending institutions for motorcycle factories. Then the U.S. parts warehouse was relocated and that caused a disruption in parts flow. Plus, it is common for dealers to first service their "own customers", before deealing with out of town repair issues. Anyway, I hope this doesn't scare you too much! Things seem to have improved, as my parts have arrived. Bottom end failures DO happen, and I hope your situation goes smooth. If anyone at the factory would like a word with me: Steven Bradshaw (916) 871-0777. I would LOVE to talk with them.

Is your bike at Monroe Motors?

post-980-1164420118.gif

post-980-1164420165.gif

Steven,

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty.

I don't know any particulars on the parts needed for your bike.

Glad to hear you finally have the parts available.

I also don't know details of the warranty situation between the SF dealer and Piaggio, but

I have handled over 120 waranty claims in 2006, and never had to wait

for payment more than 60 days.

Similar timeframe for slightly fewer claims in 2005.

Warranty payment was one of the few things Piaggio was actually pretty good about, even during the

warehouse/changeover nightmare.

I have no special ties or buddy-buddy relationship at Piaggio.

Yes, most dealers will take care of their own customer bikes first.

If waiting for parts for several months, this becomes almost a moot point.

Warranty has been extended by Piaggio USA in similar cases.

It doesn't give you a bike to ride, but it makes up for some of the wait time.

Am I missing something here or have you lost your mechanic?

I thought we were going to actually hear what was wrong with the bike?

Or, did you take the Ducati with the dry clutch by mistake??? That surely sounds like a bucket of nuts. :P:P

Guest Gary Cheek

Just another "event" in the Guzzi bottom end syndrome. It may have all been a figment of his imagination. Induced no doubt by hysteria from reading reports V11 LeMans.com!

Shame on us.

Just another "event" in the Guzzi bottom end syndrome. It may have all been a figment of his imagination. Induced no doubt by hysteria from reading reports V11 LeMans.com!

Shame on us.

:lol:

The worst part is our morbid curiousity, 23 hundred views and growing :cheese:

I read every post, looking for the answer as to what went wrong... and yet, no resolution! Dude, C'MON- even if it was bad news you must have drowned it in the adult beverage of your choice by now, so let us in on the cause of your problem.

It is not just morbid curiosity, you know... some of us want to make sure we don't suffer a similar fate.

Guest Gary Cheek

I read every post, looking for the answer as to what went wrong... and yet, no resolution! Dude, C'MON- even if it was bad news you must have drowned it in the adult beverage of your choice by now, so let us in on the cause of your problem.

It is not just morbid curiosity, you know... some of us want to make sure we don't suffer a similar fate.

Only way to be sure is to overfill your crankcase, use other than an UFI filter, use a 50-50 blend of Motul and Sperm Whale oil, hose clamp on filter, safety wire on hose clamp, sloppage tray, wear bare arse chaps and never-ever start your engine.

OR........ Don't worry- be happy!

I tried at the local supplier, but is "Sperm Whale Oil" the same thing as "Whale Sperm Oil?'

As a rule I stay away from anything to do with sperm. :glare:

Guest Gary Cheek

This would be the oil from the Sperm gland of the Sperm Whale . Don't get caught for whatever reason!

Whale sperm oil could come from ANY whale, Sperm whale oil is actually Sperm Whale sperm oil?

No doubt sperm oil could be rendered from some of the whales that inhabit the bars around here. Not the sand bars......

I don't understand the huge fuss about the oil of an endangered species. Dinosaurs are extinct! And they went that way before anyone USED oil!

$2,000 PENALTY ASSESSED FOR ILLEGAL ATTEMPTED SALE OF SPERM WHALE OIL

OVER INTERNET

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration charged a resident of Lincroft, N.J., with four counts of selling or attempting to sell sperm whale oil over eBay’s online auction site, in violation of the Endangered Species Act. NOAA is an agency of the U.S. Commerce Department.

NOAA’s Office of General Counsel for Enforcement and Litigation assessed a $2,000 penalty against Alan Troshane for the infraction, which took place between March and April 2000. Troshane found the sperm whale oil in the basement of the school where he worked and advertised the whale oil for sale on the Internet-based auction site for $40 per ounce.

During the course of an investigation by NOAA’s Office for Law Enforcement, Troshane admitted the violation and subsequently paid the penalty.

Sperm whales are listed under the Endangered Species Act. The act governs the taking, possession, transportation, sale, purchase, barter, exportation, importation of, and other requirements pertaining to wildlife and plants determined to be threatened or endangered.

NOAA is one of the federal agencies enforcing the regulations under the ESA that make selling or offering to sell endangered species parts or products illegal.

NOAA Fisheries is dedicated to protecting and preserving our nation’s living marine resources and their habitat through scientific research, management and enforcement. NOAA Fisheries provides effective stewardship of these resources for the benefit of the nation, to support coastal communities that depend upon them, and to help to provide safe and healthy seafood to consumers and recreational opportunities for the American public. To learn more about NOAA Fisheries, please visit: http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov.

NOAA is dedicated to enhancing economic security and national safety through the prediction and research of weather and climate-related events and providing environmental stewardship of our nation’s coastal and marine resources. For more information about NOAA visit: http://www.noaa.gov.