Trip to Normandy - May 2007

V11UK

Jane and I are thinking of organising a trip :bike: to Normandy over the May Day weekend - probably Thursday 3rd to Tuesday 8th or Wednesday 9th May 2007. The trip would include tours of the D-Day beaches etc.

We just wondered what level of interest there would be from V11 riders...

Hi Chris

Can't make the tour but I am sure you will have a great time. I stayed in Port En Bessin for a couple days this summer whilst touring Europe on my V11, and there is plenty to see, as well as lots of nice food and drink. I can particularly recommend the local cider, and of course the Calvados.

Worth visiting the Omaha beach memorial- really erie but moving place. There is an airborne museum at St Mere Eglise which is also good. There is the famous village square there which has a nice cafe too.

Did not make it to Arromanches this time but have been there before- you can see the remains of the Mulberry harbour and there is another museum near the beach.

Have fun

Guy :helmet:

Guest goosesport

I've been thinking about a Normandy trip then as well. I'll be starting from Portsmouth with my 12 year old son. And I'll probably take the KLR650 instead of the V11 but it would be nice to meet up.

Larry in Hampshire

After various discussions we've decided to change the proposed trip to the May Day weekend. The dates would be Thursday 3rd to Tuesday 8th or Wednesday 9th May 2007. Our ferry route will be Portsmouth to Cean.

I'll post details in the next week or so regarding accommodation etc.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is it, our cunning plan :)

Hotel is the Au Site Normand, 1, rue des Châtelets. 14570 Clecy.

Location details: www.ausitenormand-clecy.com/sitenorm/index.htm

plan2.jpg

The trip is based on 4 nights, Friday 4th to Monday 7th May inclusive. Departing on Tuesday 8th May.

You can take advantage of special rates by booking early. We've paid 71 EUR per night for a double room inc. breakfasts. This equates to approx. £24 B&B per person.

You can book a room using the secure Logis de France web site: www.logis-de-france.fr/uk/recherch/index-ca.htm

Within their web site:

Click on Basse Normandie

Click on Calvados

Click on the Clecy logis logo which is south of Caen on the map

Click on Book

The whole weekend will be on an informal basis. For those interested, there'll be organised runs to all the main D-Day sites.

• 2 weeks later...

We've now booked our ferry sailings as shown below, using the Portsmouth to Caen route.

Outward: Friday 4th May @ 08.45 - arriving @ 15.30 CET.

Inward: Tuesday 8th May @ 09.00 - arriving @ 13.45 BST.

With the kind help of 'Digger' on the UK Buell forum we've managed to obtain discounts of up to 50% when using Brittany Ferries.

If you decide to come on this Normandy trip please let me know your name and booking reference number via private message and I'll have it processed with the discount. Brittany Ferries web site contains all the routes and on-line booking information.

• 4 weeks later...

With the kind help of 'Digger' on the UK Buell forum we've managed to obtain discounts of up to 50% when using Brittany Ferries.

If you decide to come on this Normandy trip please let me know your name and booking reference number via private message and I'll have it processed with the discount. Brittany Ferries web site contains all the routes and on-line booking information.

Our discount has now come through for this sailing and the price is £56 for 1 person/1 bike return, instead of the £109 it would have cost.