Chassis balance

Guest ratchethack

Guest Gary Cheek

And in the case of the torque - I am. If not, well then I better quit the job I've had for the last 12 years as I'm certainly not qualified for it. The longer the extension and the farther from straight, the greater the error in the torque measurement. That I will stand by. :nerd:

Rj

And I will back you up on the torque aspect.

After 38 years I hope to retire, not quit.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of getting some scales to check and compare the weight bias of my V10, V11, V12 and Ducati Monster but so far I havn't found a suitable scale. I am very curious to see the difference between the V11 and the Centauro and I want to include the Ducati just to broaden the spectrum. I'll be posting the results when I find some scales.

PS First it's Hatchetrack vs Danglaing and now BMG vs Cheeks. Can the fearless Captain Nemo save us from it all??

PSPS Ryan. Do you think his avatar redeems him? Gary. Nothing is north of Canada.

Dave, the tank was half full, as noted.

Now Gary, leave us not poke fun here. This is serious stuff. ;) As we all know from observing the depth of knowledge and wisdom demonstrated on this Forum, certain Ducatisti hereabouts are of necessity quite accomplished mathematicians, as well as consummate readers of most extraordinarily prodigious comprehension, not to mention True Masters of cleverness. -_-

Way to nail me :thumbsup:

Now if you could only admit your own mistakes... :whistle:

Nothing is north of Canada.

Except for part of Denmark(Greenland) or Russia or frozen international artic ocean.

But we need to know how to read or do calculus or something other than being nationalistic zealots in order to determine such things. :drink:

Guest ratchethack

Now Gary, leave us not poke fun here. This is serious stuff. ;) As we all know from observing the depth of knowledge and wisdom demonstrated on this Forum, certain Ducatisti hereabouts are of necessity quite accomplished mathematicians, as well as consummate readers of most extraordinarily prodigious comprehension, not to mention True Masters of cleverness. -_-

Way to nail me :thumbsup:

Er, Dave.......Have you been stretching out with y'er FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLIIINNNNGGGGSSSSS again? :huh2:

Have you become a Ducatisti? Is y'er paranoia index running a little higher than usual lately?

Please trust me on this one -- You won't ever have to dream it up when I nail you. You've made sure this Forum is a semi-regular target-rich environment for trophy BIG GAME with some o y'er most spectacularly egregious whoppers. Would I carry a Weatherby Mk V .300 Magnum into a Tanzania Masailand swail loaded for cape buffalo and waste those Magnum loads on meerkat? :huh2: 'Twouldn't be very sporting of me, now, would it? ;) My trophy hall now sports quite an extensive collection of Big Five Gold Medal trophy heads, of which I'm most proud. Why, if you'd never broken cover, Dave, I'd never have got off some o' my very best single-shot kills. :thumbsup:

Mah fellow Americans, it is with a heavy heart - that I counter-balance my Guzzi to the left!

Are we talking balance here or weight distribution? I'll guarantee you that when I'm balancing on my bike it's not because there is a danger of it winding up on just the front or rear wheel. :2c:

Guest ratchethack

Fore-aft balance, Carl. Some call it weight distribution. Some calls it a Kaiser blade, some calls it a sling blade. . . . . . ;)

Guest Gary Cheek

I was thinking of getting some scales to check and compare the weight bias of my V10, V11, V12 and Ducati Monster but so far I havn't found a suitable scale. I am very curious to see the difference between the V11 and the Centauro and I want to include the Ducati just to broaden the spectrum. I'll be posting the results when I find some scales.

PS First it's Hatchetrack vs Danglaing and now BMG vs Cheeks. Can the fearless Captain Nemo save us from it all??

PSPS Ryan. Do you think his avatar redeems him? Gary. Nothing is north of Canada.

Thank you! Not north of Canada entirely but... Truth is if I leave home and drive due south about 20 miles,cross the bridge or use the tunnel I am in Canada. If I go 20 miles east , (boat part way). I am again in Canada.

When I was riding the bike in the Avatar it was not a well known bike , People used to say Doo-cat-ee? who makes them?

Thank you! Not north of Canada entirely but... Truth is if I leave home and drive due south about 20 miles,cross the bridge or use the tunnel I am in Canada. If I go 20 miles east , (boat part way). I am again in Canada.

Ahh yes! If you go to Point Pelee in Canada just east of where you live (and a little bit south) then go due west many, many miles you arrive in California! Not many people realise that Canada reaches that far south!

Cheers.

Jim

But we need to know how to read or do calculus or something other than being nationalistic zealots in order to determine such things. :drink:

Don't get them started Dave! We'll be trudging through this thread forever!

Ahh yes! If you go to Point Pelee in Canada just east of where you live (and a little bit south) then go due west many, many miles you arrive in California! Not many people realise that Canada reaches that far south!

Cheers.

Jim

The beautiful California weather, compared to that of Southern Ontario, kind of distorts people's impressions of this trivial fact :sun:

According to my calculations the weight bias can be shifted favorably, improving bike only bias by 59.23373970945032937478973832696367673746786 percent if the battery is slung in front of the alternator.

These calculations involve moving the hawker battery, fabricating a 3lb bracket, while assuming that you won't add more tools under the seat nor mess with trifling matters like whether or not the fuel tank is half empty or half full. However if the oil is filled to Greg Field's suggested level vs. Moto Guzzi's we have a conundrum and my calculations fall into shambles....but atleast the bias will have improved.

Guest ratchethack

According to my calculations the weight bias can be shifted favorably, improving bike only bias by 59.23373970945032937478973832696367673746786 percent if the battery is slung in front of the alternator.

These calculations involve moving the hawker battery, fabricating a 3lb bracket, while assuming that you won't add more tools under the seat nor mess with trifling matters like whether or not the fuel tank is half empty or half full. However if the oil is filled to Greg Field's suggested level vs. Moto Guzzi's we have a conundrum and my calculations fall into shambles....but atleast the bias will have improved.

. . . . . . [sigh] . . . . . . . Well, this sure ain't no trophy, but I just gotta bring it down outta mercy. It's obviously mortally wounded and in considerable pain. :whistle:

Best re-word this, and/or re-do y'er calculations, Dave. Think about it. Moving the battery as you proposed "improves" unladen weight bias (that is, moves it forward) by 59%?!?!??!?!? :whistle:

Now there are some potential semantic challenges inherent to this problem based on the way one considers percent change to a given percentage bias. To illustrate, consider what it would take to achieve a 100% forward weight bias shift. Would this mean the F/R bias would then be 100/0? Semantically, I believe this is correct.

Leave us consider: A roughly 60% forward bias from stock (less than a percent from what you've suggested) is what y'er proposing for moving the battery in front of the alternator. This would mean a weight bias shift of 60% of the change between 47/53 and 100/0. Would you calculate that to be a forward shift of an additional ~ 32/68 bias (.6 x 53 = ~32), for a resulting unladen forward shift with forward mounted battery of 79/21?!?!?!?! I'm thinking y'er particular Hawker battery must be a whopping great beast made of depleted uranium??? :huh2:

Now this is just me, but when I've on occasion carried a certain 125 lb. redhead pillion, I reckon she doesn't shift the weight bias rearward nearly as much as 59%, but then I don't imagine many besides dedicated 2-up riders have done such weighing, let alone actual bias shift calculations. . . . . but if you insist. . . . . .yes, I imagine it could be easily enough done. -_-

After a re-think, if you still insist on the 59% forward weight bias shift for a front o' alternator battery relocation, would you be kind enough to show y'er work, and/or explain? ;)

Rapt in fascination, enquiring minds 'r just a-dyin' to have a gander!

Best re-word this, and/or re-do y'er calculations, Dave. Think about it. Moving the battery as you proposed "improves" unladen weight bias (that is, moves it forward) by 59%?!?!??!?!? :whistle:

Now there are some potential semantic challenges inherent to this problem based on percentage bias. To illustrate, consider what it would take to achieve a 100% forward weight bias shift. :huh2: Would this mean the F/R bias would then be 100/0? Semantically, I believe this is correct. To achieve this, of course, you'd need to be doing a stationary stoppie on the scale long enough to get a read.

Leave us consider: A roughly 60% forward bias from stock (less than a percent from what you've suggested) is what y'er proposing for moving the battery in front of the alternator. This would mean a weight bias shift of 60% of the change between 47/53 and 100/0. Would you calculate that to be a forward shift of an additional ~ 32/68 bias (.6 x 53 = ~32), for a resulting unladen forward shift with forward mounted battery of 79/21?!?!?!?! I'm thinking of y'er battery must be a whopping great piece o' work made of depleted uranium??? :huh2:

Now this is just me, but when I carry a certain 125 lb. redhead pillion, I reckon she doesn't shift the weight bias rearward nearly as much as 59%, but then I don't imagine too many besides dedicated 2-up riders have done such weighing, let alone actual bias shift calculations. . . . . but if you insist. . . . . . .yes, I imagine it could be easily enough done. -_-

After a re-think, if you still insist on the 59% forward weight bias shift for a front o' alternator battery relocation, would you be kind enough to show y'er work, and/or explain? ;)

Rapt in fascination, enquiring minds 'r just a-dyin' to have a gander!

I did not say to move the bias 59.XXXXXXX%, I said to improve it 59.xxxxxxxxxx%. There is a difference.

FWIW 59.XXXxxxxxxx% is meant as a joke. I could easily be off by more than 10%, but FWIW here is my crude math:

534# divided by two axles divided by 100 percents, means that every one percent shift in bias is equal to moving 2.17# from one axle to the other. So a hundred percent shift in bias would move it 100x2.17# or 217lbs from one axle to the other. I was in no mood to measure where the battery is and where I would move it too, but since it weighs about 12lbs(according to my recollection of shipping invoice), if we moved that weight from the one axle to the other we would theoretically change the bias about 5%. But since I don't know calculus, nor the measurements, I guestimated the effect to be about a third as much as the 5% over the axle, so we take a third of 5% or one and two thirds percent. Since we want to shift the weight 3%, assuming 50/50 is ideal, I determined that the 1.66666667 is roughly 55% of the three percent, but for dramatic effect, and because I think the shift would be more than a third and the bracket would add some weight, I set the number to 59.xxxxxxxxxx% :cheese:

YMMV

Some calls it a Kaiser blade, some calls it a sling blade. . . . . . ;)

& still others call it what it is, ie, a scythe.

G0d-D@MN but that was a tedious movie! I finally broke down & watched it after all these years, & the only thing I got out of it was a huge "Huh?" over how in heck Billy Bob Thornton ever got to be a celebrity based on that? :huh2: Dwight Yoakam, OTOH, needed killin'. Why is it again BB's character ended up back in the nuthouse? :grin:

Also got forced to sit thru some dreadful waste of time called Changing Times with Gerard Depardieu & Cat Deneuve by my Francophile gf this week. Two, count'em, two absolute loser movies [that I'm sure were both critically acclaimed; I know for sure on Sling Blade, but not the other] in one week!

What did I ever do to deserve this? ;)

Alright, let's skip the movie drivel, & get back to bikes!

:mg: