Staedler's V11

pete roper

OK, so lets get this bike up and running again. But lets do a bit of learning too, that means all of us.

Gary is going to do all the stuff with the measuring sticks and sort out what's what. But S. has got to get the motor out of the frame and get it to him. Now while this is NOT going to be a huge issue for lots of blokes on this list for many others it probably seems like a major task. Yes?

OK, so lets all do some learning here, me included. I've never actually had to do the bottom end on a V11 or any spiney so I've never actually pulled an engine, you can do EVERYRHING apart from pulling the crank with the engine in the frame. So lets start off by helping the boy get it out, (as it were.).

Now whenever I've had to get at a clutch I've always 'Crabbed' the frame, not because it's easier but simply because I come from a long history of working on Tonti's and that seemed logical to me. Spiney experienced people seem to think that simply pulling the donk off the front of the gearbox is a far easier option. So lets get a run-down on that from someone who has actually done it rather than from me who hasn't.

My first recommendation though would be to disconnect the battery and remove it. That way you don't risk frying anything by mistake. Then start disconnecting anything that looks like a wire :grin:

OK, go to it!

Pete

Well, I would agree that the best way to remove the short engine is from the front.

That is the way I pulled mine apart after receiving similar advice & I found it worked very well.

Nige. B)

OK, so lets get this bike up and running again. But lets do a bit of learning too, that means all of us.

Gary is going to do all the stuff with the measuring sticks and sort out what's what. But S. has got to get the motor out of the frame and get it to him. Now while this is NOT going to be a huge issue for lots of blokes on this list for many others it probably seems like a major task. Yes?

OK, so lets all do some learning here, me included. I've never actually had to do the bottom end on a V11 or any spiney so I've never actually pulled an engine, you can do EVERYRHING apart from pulling the crank with the engine in the frame. So lets start off by helping the boy get it out, (as it were.).

OK, go to it!

Pete

I just read Jaap's post about the 5th anniversary of the forum and I have an idea! How about an online rebuild of this motor and have it all culminate with start up of the motor for the 5th birthday of the forum!

I don't have much to contribute but I know of some pistons available after a swap to high comp pistons so I'll try and contribute whatever I can.

What say?

Guest Gary Cheek

You can almost do it more quickly than I can type it.

Since I am a bit rushed I'll be breif.

Support the bike upright with a pair of jack stands aft or a pit stand -aft.

Like Pete said the battery first always. Next the tank comes off. Make sure to plug the open hoses and unplug ALL of the electrics, even the low fuel sender under the tank. The air boxes come off then I usually leave the throttle bodies intact and on the bike. So pull the clamps off the rubbers on the engine side. Wrestle that stuff off and support it to the bike. The vent hoses oil cooler hoses and misc elec connectors wil all be quite obvious. Once you have all of the umbilicals loose you now place some blocks and shims under the pan to pretty much just bear the weight of the engine. Pull off the front sub frame and if you are ambitous the front wheel (you don't really HAVE to but it does give more wiggle room. Next the starter and the tranny bolts. At this point a bit of bumping should have the motor break away from the trans. Slide it forward on the block you put in to bear the weight until it is free. If you still have the back of a thirty year old you can pick the engine up and set it on your bench. Otherwise have the wife do it.

I may have misses a bolt or two but once you get into it the other parts will be obvious.

You might want to practice this during the winter if you become bored. It will also give you a chance to inpect and maintain your clutch.

Really it take about 2 hours if you are trying to get it done but why rush? It's a lot of fun.

How about an online rebuild of this motor and have it all culminate with start up of the motor for the 5th birthday of the forum!

Hey Jim preciate it, belive me, i need a loot of help...

:D ...i'll start taking thr engine out, by I i mean me and two other buddies....mechanically inclined

Gary...i just printed your intructions, i'll need them...:grin:

i post pics for y'all....

so, i just brought the guzzi back from the mechanic's. I'm out of town till monday, so i think i'll start about tuesday or wed....

i know there's going to be a bit of questions while trying to get this thing out and crated..

i'll keep y'all posted *be back on tue*

:thumbsup:

btw...do you recomend having beer while performing these tasks?

bike on paddock stand

support the engine - jack, soap box, oversized beer swilling neighbor, whatever

yank the tank

unbolt intake hardware

remove exhaust headers

remove starter

remove speedometer cable - prior to hosing it

remove engine mount sub-frame at front (if you're not going to crab it)

unbolt everything on the rest of the engine holding it in frame, pull it forward and remove it

That's close to what it takes although I haven't actually done it that way. There's bound to be a bit more to it than that. My experience has been removing the transmission on a V11 Sport which entails most of these steps because you have to crab the frame. Removing the transmission takes about 1.5 hours for a klutz like me.

Taking bigbikerricks B11 Sport (B for burned), was pretty much as above but a lot of stuff was already removed or just plain burned away. For that one, the engine remained positioned on a box or stand (don't recall) and the frame was unbolted and lifted off of the engine and transmission in pieces.