00 - V11 Sport - Stalling???

jsciullo

After having intermittent problems with the bike stalling - I switched gas to Sunoco 94 and it stalled like crazy. I put BP 93 in for the past several fill ups and have not had any problems with stalls or hiccups or anything. The outside temps have been about the same so maybe its a gas or octaine issue with the bike. Any comments??

Jim

Hi Jim,

In Holland i had the same problem with 95 octane, so i swithed over to 98 octane problems solved after that.. after some experiments (95 octane is a bit cheaper) i couldn't find a relation between temperature stalling and octane so i''ll just stick with high octane..

i am surprised at the low ocatane levels in the usa any idea's why that is?

Jap :cheese::nl::lol:

Guest Jaap

Those big V8's aren't exactly high revving engines and quite old fashioned gas guzzlers... No hi-octane needed. :rolleyes:

I only use 98 too. :drink:

Guest toutizes

I think I heard that the octane degree is computed differently in the US and in Europe.

Matthieu

Jim,

I wouldn't say it is an octane issue. It is most likely from the different additives the fuel companys use. Last year Chevron worked the best for me and if I chose a different brand, my bike would idle poorly.

Mike

Guest Le Man

I have a hard time beliving that this is a fuel octane problem at all.

Now perhaps the 94 was contaminated or something..but imagine saying to an engineer "design me an engine that will stall if you try and idle on 94 octane but will be fine on 93 octane".

Mike

My sport was very sensitive to brands of fuel until I richened the TPS. No pinging or stalling but fuel economy went from 37.5 mpg to 34.5 mpg.

You could make your own octane booster-

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/engine-...ctaneboost.html

I've no idea what kind of damage this might do to one's engine.

FWIW, I use almost any brand of premium (92-94 octane). I haven't noticed a difference, but I get lousy gas mileage, so my TPS is probably set a bit rich. Since the bike has been under warranty, I haven't done any maintainance to it so I don't know for sure. I'll check the plugs sometime. It does run well, though. I'll give it that.

Cheers,

Jason

I've no idea what kind of damage this might do to one's engine.  

..no kidding, several of those are pretty stout solvents, some of which could make short work of some plastic bits and hoses. I would be cautious in regards to concentrations.

As an example, a looooong time ago, I was working on my old FJ. I was trying to "clean out" the fueling system with that "B-12 Chemtool" stuff by adding it to the tank. I believe it is Toluene based.

Anyway, something happened where I wasn't able to complete my project, and the bike sat for about a week with this stuff in the tank and fuel lines. It eventually ate the fuel lines, and unbeknownst to me... flooded my garage(well, 4 gallons of flooding) with the solvent/gas mixture. It actually melted a plastic trash can it ran up against.

I didn't find it until the next day or two, and was very very fortunate I didn't hit the garage door opener, or the flourescent lights while the fumes were the most concentrated..... BOOM... bad stuff.

Anyway, this case was obviously "user error" on my part, but indicative of how dangerous this stuff can be if not careful. I am much more circumspect now when working with these solvents.

...in the end, all was fine though. I got very lucky that it didn't eat off the paint, or gum-up the carbs.... or the worst, blow up my garage!

al

Guest jeremy

accually I think the Idle is going lean depending on how many additives and such are in the fuel I.E. 94 in the usa usually had a fair amount of alchohol in it leaning out the idle mixture to much if it was allready lean with all petro gas. I guess you could check it with a co meter.

cheers