Muffler choices

Guest Guest_dlaing

Well, I went by the shop today, and checked out the issue. Here's what i suspect is up.

As all of us with 2002+ bikes know, the right passenger peg/muffler bracket(ladder shaped, attaches to frame) is "kicked out" about a 1/2 inch further than the left bracket to clear the bevel box, etc... due to the wider rear rim on 2002+ bikes. However, I am quite certain that the Stucci does not take this into account, as when one orders it you don't specify the year of the V11.

So, for the Leo's to fit and align properly, the aluminum bushing for the right side bracket must be about 1/2" shorter than the left, otherwise the muffler won't fit properly. This is exactly the situation I found when I visited the shop, that the right bushing is not correspondingly shorter.

Mounted up with the hardware from Leo Vince, the right can is kinked and twisted in on the bottom because the bushing is too long, pushing the whole mounting point out at the top about 1/2" too far... messing up the alignment... thus also making the fit down at the brake lever worse.

So here's my question for all 2002+ bikes with Leo Vinces(that fit correctly)... can you measure the silver aluminum bushing/spacer(that the mounting bolt goes through) for the left and right sides of your bike, and see if the right bushing is in fact shorter? For this to work, the right bushing needs to be a tad shorter, and mine as delivered from Leo are equal length.

This is kinda important as we need to follow up with Leo Vince and let them know. So if you can let me know in the next day or two, that would be great.

thx!

al

P.S.

Regarding the Guzzi Ti pipes... yeah they look nice, but they seem pricey. That of course is no doubt because of the new ECU, but I don't need a new ECU sooooo :rolleyes: I also like the oval cross-section pipes versus round. But yep, the color is great :)

• 2 months later...
I really like the look of that Ti "rack"... I wonder how they sound.

...well, it's hard to describe, but I suspect it's not a lot different from any of the other exhausts from FBF, Mistral, etc. It's quite low, "burbling", and a bit louder than I expected, but not offensive. I think it sounds very good.

...although in combination with the pods, my GF asked yesterday, "I thought you didn't like loud bikes?? :blink: "

:rolleyes:

I tell ya though, when it was on the dyno and the guy was revving it up, standing behind it certainly got one's attention :thumbsup:

al

Guest John Y

I had Staintune polished stainless steel mufflers fitted to my new V11 LeMans (I've had it for 1 week today!). They cost AUD$980 and come with neat removable 'inserts' in the outlet pipes - with the restrictors in place they are no louder than stock, but with them removed there is a *very* pleasant fruity note which is deep but not loud at all, and very inoffensive. Also the fit is perfect.

John Y

Guest PAULSMART

Its hard to believe theres so much choice on the market today!!!

2 years ago when I changed my exhausts, only mistrals seemed available - but they were not high level pipes, which was the look I was after.

My solution was to have short connection pipes made up, by a custom exhaust maker (their about 300mm long), this allowed me to choose any of the carbon fibre cans on the market. So after a visit to a large bike show where I could compare as many cans as possible I was able to choose a pair of oval carbon cans (form the Carbon can co' - here in the UK) that matched my requirements for quality.

This all worked out a liitle cheaper, but not for the effort involved.

Paul - uk

• 3 weeks later...

...so here's and updated, update ^_^

Attached is a photo from a '00 Sport that was on eBay. From the rear shot, one can clearly see that the right exhaust hangar is "kicked out" just as it is on my '02 as I've reported.

Now, from the photo it is impossible to tell how far the hangar on the '00 is "kicked out" over the left, or if it's equivalent or much less than the '02+ bikes with the 5.5-inch wheel.

But it's just interesting to note, that in true Guzzi style, these things can apparently vary from bike to bike.

Perhaps some pre-02 bikes do indeed also have unevenly spaced exhausts/hangars as delivered from the factory as well.

Just something to consider when mounting aftermarket exhausts, and trying to "even them up".

BTW, my Stucci x-over is very apparently "uneven" from the factory, so my pipes don't quite sit level. I'll bend it, but it's a bit annoying that they got such a simple thing wrong.

al

uneven.jpg

Guest geezerx

Al, my 00 V11S has that same offset. Using the tire edge as a point of reference there is approximately 1/2" more offset to the hanger on the right side than on the left. But then the right side muffler is closer to the swing arm than the left. Perhaps a little Kentucky windage trying to produce a harmonious appearance? :blink:

Looks on the bike in your post that in addition to the extra offset @ the right hanger, the back end of the right muffler might be jacked out a little thus emphasizing the difference.

• 5 months later...

i have a couple questions...

i had heard the dnds fall apart. and a guy i know has one on his honda and it is LOUD.

i looked at the staintunes, but i want a full exhaust kit if i buy them. i thought they offered a full exhaust, can anyone confirm this?

i STILL want that ghezzi and brian can. has anybody heard anything on the cracking welds issue?

I had Staintune polished stainless steel mufflers fitted to my new V11 LeMans (I've had it for 1 week today!). They cost AUD$980 and come with neat removable 'inserts' in the outlet pipes - with the restrictors in place they are no louder than stock, but with them removed there is a *very* pleasant fruity note which is deep but not loud at all, and very inoffensive. Also the fit is perfect.

John Y

John,

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with Staintunes on my V11. I don't have enough time with them to give a real report but looks and first ride impression are very good. I think they fit the bike well, you might think they were stock except for the slightly louder and "fruitier" exhaust note. I plan to keep the touring restrictors in place, I love the improved sounds but I also like the reasonable noise level with the touring parts in place.

I wish I had access to a dyno, for what (little) seat of the pants is worth the bike runs much better. The combination of a properly mapped PCIII (I still haven't been to see Todd, maybe this spring) open air box, a Stucchi X-pipe and freer flowing mufflers has really made the bike seem faster in the mid-range and on top end. More important, it seems "happier". It is smoother, runs up the tach faster, the 2.5 to 3K stutter seems to be gone, the flat spot at 4.5K is gone and is generally an even more enjoyable ride. I doubt this specific to the Staintunes, I'd bet any good quality after market mufflers would have the same effect.

One interesting point, the mufflers seem to be designed for the newer (wider) V11s. My right muffler mounts to the inside of the foot peg hanger like the stock part but the left one mounts to the outside, about the one inch wider. That sounds like the offset Al R. talks about. Other than that the parts went on just about perfectly, they appear to be very well made.

In short, I'd recommend the Staintunes for folks looking for a more finished product than the usual race can. The option of running the touring restrictor Vs. the more open configuration is also, to me, a plus. Mine were US $700.

Cheers,

Lex

....just to add.. I don't think anyone makes a "full exhaust" for the V11 Sport/LeMans. Since the stock headers are quite simple, and already stainless, I doubt that there would be much benefit in an aftermarket "full" system.

That said, the "other half" of the system, consisting of cross-over and cans now have several options these day, uunlike just as recently as less than 2 years ago where options were pretty limited.

The closest option to a "full exhaust" from a single vendor that I am aware of would be Mistral or FBF who both make cans and cross-overs. Again, I don't think anyone makes a complete end-to-end system(other than OEM of course), as I don't think there would be any real benefit.

al

P.S.

Regarding D&D exhausts, although I have never personally owned their product, my observations on others' bikes concurs with those mentioned above. D&D fit/finish is below par, and they are very very loud. Of course, this really isn't a surprise given their target market, Ricky-race-replica and the HD crowd. And as an aside, in my humble opinion CF for street applications, especially exhausts, is a poor choice for long term durability. Heat, water, and Sun will deteriorate the resin over a surprisingly quick amount of time, making for some unattractive fuzzy grey cans :rolleyes: