Muffler choices

Guest Guest_dlaing

Greg,

Thats good stuff! Thanks for the input and opinions. When you say the Mistral pipe "bows out" I take it they end up sticking out further than the stock pipes. Also I bought a very nice set of Teckno bags from MI recently and probably have to stay with the low "stock" pipe height to work with the Tecknos. correct? I really like the looks of the stock black cans but need more V twin sound! Do you stock any of these cans at MI? Where do I find the Gianellis?

waspp

For high mounting, use the brackets that come wiht the Guzzi titanium system.

For low mounting, use the stock brackets. The inlet pipes on the Guzzi ti systelm are separate from the mufflers, so you can rotate them to get the mufflers at the right angle either way. It's a really nice system.

At Moto Intl., we've mounted maybe a dozen Guzzi ti systems with FBF crossovers.

I ordered a set for stock today. If you want a set, I can get them, as can Todd at MPH or any other dealer.

Hi greg,

Thanks for the info.What should I be expecting to pay for Tis and Xover?

Thanks,

Michael

Combo response here:

I won't be sure of stock and prices until I return to work tomorrow (I'm playing hooky to piece together a long-overdue V50). We were getting pretty low on stock of V11 stuff, purposely, because we are down to two new Ballabios and one Cafe Sport for sale. After that, we are outta the V11 series, and a great era will end. We started the year with maybe 30 V11s. I wish we had 30 more to sell.

Crossovers are in the $250-380 range, depending on which ones.

Aluminum Gianellis are in the $550 range if I remember right.

The Guzzi Ti pipes now list for over $1,500. List on them in the past has ranged form just over $1,000 to $1,200 or so, depending on phase of the moon and whatever else determines Guzzi pricing. I was gonna order a set for stock but probably won't at this price.

I do not know if Tekno bags will work with the high pipes.

The Mistral cans do not mount farther to the side than others. In fact, the cans tuck in nicely and look and work just great. It is the inlet pipes to the cans that bow out wider than on the other muffler options. It looks to me like they will be the first thing to touch down, but I haven't touched anything down yet on Billy Bob.

Combo response here:

I won't be sure of stock and prices until I return to work tomorrow (I'm playing hooky to piece together a long-overdue V50). We were getting pretty low on stock of V11 stuff, purposely, because we are down to two new Ballabios and one Cafe Sport for sale. After that, we are outta the V11 series, and a great era will end. We started the year with maybe 30 V11s. I wish we had 30 more to sell.

Crossovers are in the $250-380 range, depending on which ones.

Aluminum Gianellis are in the $550 range if I remember right.

The Guzzi Ti pipes now list for over $1,500. List on them in the past has ranged form just over $1,000 to $1,200 or so, depending on phase of the moon and whatever else determines Guzzi pricing. I was gonna order a set for stock but probably won't at this price.

I do not know if Tekno bags will work with the high pipes.

The Mistral cans do not mount farther to the side than others. In fact, the cans tuck in nicely and look and work just great. It is the inlet pipes to the cans that bow out wider than on the other muffler options. It looks to me like they will be the first thing to touch down, but I haven't touched anything down yet on Billy Bob.

Hi Greg,

!500.00 Gulp!That makes the FBF's look like a bargain.Och Babe!I'll see if I can find a bargain with our EUro bros.

Thanks MZ

Guest golden goose

Interesting!!!!

I bought my LeMans in '02. Just 2 months later I fitted a set of Mistral Ti cans and a Stucchi x-over. Now, I understand, the Stucchi needs to have its end pipes trimmed so that the Mistrals can mount INSIDE of the hangers. For the past 4 years or so, mine have been mounted on the outside as that seemed right 4 years ago. I could not fit the hanger for the x-over as it just would'nt fit, so for 20k miles, the x-over and cans were hung from just the engine and can bolts.

No worries.

On a tip I got here a few months ago, I headed out to the garage and finally, after 4 years and 20k miles, fitted the hanger to the Stucchi. I loosened up everything and tightened it all down slowly.

In two weeks, I had a 4 inch split on the left side Ti can. It can't be welded.

Can anybody provide some advice on obtaining a leftside Mistral Ti can?

I feel if I had not messed with it, this wouldn't have happened. Granted, I had mine mounted outside the hangers not inside, as they should have been. But here you have proof of the old addage "If it anin't broke, don't fix it".

GG

P.S. Do I have to buy a new set? If so, who and where is the best place to do this?

Mistral is the right choice for a Guzzi. :2c: Personally I have fitted Mistral cans together with the Mistral crossover and fitted perfectly alltogether

Don't know if or how to repair your can.

Mistral is made from people that worked for years with Lafranconi so there is the know how of the Guzzi sound and performance applied there I believe.

Anyways I guess you will have to ask at Agostini since they are also on Mandelo most possible to find something, but AFAIK now closed for summer 'till 21 Aug.

or if emailing direct to MISTRAL

Perhaps a mistral crossover would be also a good thing to have in combination with the pipes, they fit perfect.

Guest Gary Cheek

Neptunes sure are sharp looking. Thanks for the heads up on those .

The Scura still had it's CF wannabe cans installed when I sold it. Didn't really care for thm, still too heavyand not real good sounding. Of course the silly, too fat rear tire and the neck rake on the Scura gave me even more cause to get rid of it but that is another story.

I have CF oval Mistrals on my 2001 V11 and so far they are fine with me. The main thing for me was the weight plus the fact I can ride hard all day and the mufllers still are not hot enough to cause a burn. They are a bit louder than I wanted but still acceptable. I have two sets of the stock cans in the storage shed and I doubt they will ever find their way unto another Guzzi.

The Guzzi Ti pipes now list for over $1,500. List on them in the past has ranged form just over $1,000 to $1,200 or so, depending

This is the kit that contains alltogether en extra ECU programmed for these Ti exausts right?

Carbon: The hardest to scratch or dent noticably. Look good. Does not stand up to UV exposure very well. The nicest low ones I have sold are FBF. Todd Haven prefers the M4 mufflers. I trust his opinion, but have never personally seen a pair of them. Mistral makes the only high versions that I know of, and also a low version. One thing I do not like about the Mistrals is that the attached inlet pipe for the mufflers bows out much farther to the side than do the pipes for all the other options.

I have a set of Mistrals on a 2000 V11s with St-Xover. Mine are mounted outside the hangar with no apparent problems. I seemed to rember trying to fit them inside with the stock x-over and they seemed to bind. I might try inside now with the Stuchhi.

With respect to the mistrals and the M4's. I would really consider the m4's. I visited the factory here in Dallas with my Mistral in hand looking for a replacement ss band. After comparing the 2 side by side the M4 is a better product. We took the mistral apart to fix the band. Inside the m4 uses a heavy duty matting and the way it is applied looks like it would be less likely to blow out or at least last longer stay quieter etc...

The carbon fiber wrap is also thicker and more glossy better looking IMHO. All around a better product if you ask me.

From what iv'e seen the round cans look sleeker and less bulky than the ovals, does M4 make a round can? I like the Gianellis but they won't work with the teckno bags. I'm leaning toward round cans so that might limit my choice?

waspp

From what iv'e seen the round cans look sleeker and less bulky than the ovals, does M4 make a round can? I like the Gianellis but they won't work with the teckno bags. I'm leaning toward round cans so that might limit my choice?

waspp

I believe they do, check with the guys at mph cycles, I usually talk to Todd. One more thing on the M4. They have a big M4 emblem on the side of the can. I would not want this on mine.

later

• 2 months later...
Guest golden goose

Well,

Part of the problem with my left Ti Mistral can that is breaking in half was solved just a few moments ago. The Federal Express guy dropped off a package from Mistral which contained the shell of the muffler for the left side.

How wonderful. Now all I have to do is drill through the rivets holding the old can together, take its guts out, and transfer them to the new shell! Oh, and of course, rivet the whole mess back together again.....

I was so pleased by this development, that I took both Mistral Ti cans off the bike, put them together with the new Ti shell just arrived from Mistral and placed them all in the bin.

I will now find some Staintunes for the bike.