Scura at Laguna Seca

wsholar

A couple of photos from my recent track day at Laguna Seca:

nice !

i love that Laguna Circuit, i spend two great days there with the Keith Code Superbike School there, back in 2003. It's a very special place, got a real vibe to it.

nice !

i love that Laguna Circuit, i spend two great days there with the Keith Code Superbike School there, back in 2003. It's a very special place, got a real vibe to it.

Here are a couple more:

MF1A8546.JPGMF1A7421.jpg

I bet ppl couldn't believe you brought a tractor to a race track? :lol:

no but seriously how was it out there? :notworthy:

Actually, I met with no negative comments or "looks." The only feedback I received was positive-- an out-of-the-blue thumbs up at the beginning of one of the last couple of sessions by one of the instructors, also a few "that bike is so cool" comments by a couple of other riders. Passed two SVs and a 675 Triumph, riding in the "B" group. "C" group were first-timers, "A" group were "studs." Most of the bikes in the B group were liter bikes-- the interesting ones included a couple of Triumphs, a Tuono Racing, a couple of Ducs, and that's about it. The bikes were almost solely Japanese inline 4 liter bikes and 600's. You can see the breakdown of the field here:

Red Shift Track Day at Laguna Seca

The Scura held its own in a very fast crowd on a very fast track. It was kind of cool to be riding on the track where just a few months ago the best riders in the world were competing. I noticed that the crowd that showed up for Laguna was a much more serious crowd than the one I rode with at Buttonwillow in April. I was passed many times, but only lapped once (at the end of a 15-lap session), by a pair of very competent riders.

The Scura held its own in a very fast crowd on a very fast track. It was kind of cool to be riding on the track where just a few months ago the best riders in the world were competing. I noticed that the crowd that showed up for Laguna was a much more serious crowd than the one I rode with at Buttonwillow in April. I was passed many times, but only lapped once (at the end of a 15-lap session), by a pair of very competent riders.

I felt the same way a couple years ago when I rode my Sport 1100 at Barber's in Birmingham.

I'd like to make a trackday at Laguna one of these days!

26243970-M.jpg

I felt the same way a couple years ago when I rode my Sport 1100 at Barber's in Birmingham.

I'd like to make a trackday at Laguna one of these days!

Barber is probably a better track, but Laguna has a pretty long history-- makes riding there kind of "spiritual."

I highly recommend Red Shift as a track day organization-- they're a bit more expensive than most, but it's kind of like real estate; they price the riff-raff out. You get a safer track as a result. The instructors are excellent (Todd Eagan of SoCal MGNOC is a regular instructor there), the food's pretty good, and the track monitoring is excellent. We only had two guys fall all day, and both got up immediately after their falls (although one guy got has bell rung pretty badly-- didn't know what day it was). One of the falls was due to riding behind the camera bike, probably thinking about how he looked rather than what to do. He clipped the camera bike going into Turn 5 too hot.

Red Shift's '07 schedule isn't posted yet, but you can monitor their schedule here:

http://rideredshift.com

100 and 84 have no style. Knees and elbows in, lean out and hold the bike down. That's that way to do it. George Dance would have been proud of you. 8-))

Thanks-- frankly, I need to get used to hanging off. I'll carry more speed through the turns by not scraping my cans and boots. Nice thing about the V11 Sports is that in stock form, you never have to worry about low siding (unless of course you slam it down so hard that you end up sliding out on your exhaust). The knee draggers on the race bikes have a vested interest in feeling where the ground is-- they'll lowside before scraping anything.

Red Shift's '07 schedule isn't posted yet, but you can monitor their schedule here:http://rideredshift.com

Thanks for the comments Wallis. FWIW,

2007 Red Shift Schedule;

Laguna Seca – Sunday, February 18 - $300

Buttonwillow – Monday March 5 - $180

Infineon – Tuesday, March 13 - $300

Laguna Seca – Monday, April 2 - $300

Infineon – Thursday, May 3 - $300

Buttonwillow – Monday, May 14 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, June 4 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, September 24 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, October 22 - $180

Laguna Seca - TBA

Laguna Seca - TBA

:bier::thumbsup: only ever seen Laguna Seca on TV, looks scary: I remember in WSB, years back, Kocinski (I think) all crossed up flying past Fogarty on the outside into that long first turn...I did a couple of trackdays on the Scura & loved it. They do go well for "an old tractor"! KB :sun:

Ty_Croes___COPY____REDUCED_SIZE___CROP.jpg

Thanks for the comments Wallis. FWIW,

2007 Red Shift Schedule;

Laguna Seca – Sunday, February 18 - $300

Buttonwillow – Monday March 5 - $180

Infineon – Tuesday, March 13 - $300

Laguna Seca – Monday, April 2 - $300

Infineon – Thursday, May 3 - $300

Buttonwillow – Monday, May 14 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, June 4 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, September 24 - $180

Buttonwillow – Monday, October 22 - $180

Laguna Seca - TBA

Laguna Seca - TBA

Groovy. Sunday, 2/18 looks good for Seca. Then Buttonwillow in May, June, and September. Wrap up the year again at Seca, and we'll call that a year. Would like to do Infineon, but the dates just don't really work for us LA working folk. Thanks, Todd!