Idea to lower battery load when starting up in Winter

Bbennett

.....The series connection saves a MINIMUM of 10watts, energy savings are added up a little here and a little there.....

Combine it with an additional relay that controls the rear light and you can save even more, this time without any safety losses.

BTW, in Germany head lights ON is mandatory for bikes, nevertheless nearly all bikes have the above switch. How is it done in the USA, is the light on also when the engine is off?

Why do you switch the light off in urban areas? Is this a synonym for Stop'n Go? Especially there between all those cars, pedestrians, buses, neon signs etc. a bike is nearly invisible, the more when it moves quicker than the rest of the traffic.

Hubert

I ride very defensively and would rather rely on the other person being blind . The fact is they DO see you and in most cases choose to ignore you.

I believe they often DO NOT see you, true some just ignore me, but I am more scared of the ones that do not see me.

What do you mean about relying on the other person being blind?

I rely on the other person being sighted, otherwise I would not be out there. But when I see someone in a position to cut me off, I assume there is good chance they won't see me.

Guest Gary Cheek

"............ . when I see someone in a position to cut me off, I assume there is good chance they won't see me."

If you assume they won't see you , your response is about tha same as it would be with a blind person?

The open road is a different animal and the headlight becomes more useful. The engine RPM are up the alternator has good output. It is a matter of trade off. Life is full of calculated risks. Anyone can be 100% sure they will never suffer an injury on a motorcycle. They make a calculated risk when they ride. Choosing to ride more "quickly" through heavy traffic may expose you to problems far more than turning off your headlight in daytime.

I'll weigh my trade offs my way. Weigh yours however you like and rest assured I won't call on you to defend them.

That is the way I have ridden since 1964. YRMV, I do what has worked for me. Others have to do what works for them.

Have you ever driven an emergency vehicle? They will pull out in front of a 40,000 pound bright red American LaFrance fire truck. Headlights flashing, 24 Whelan strobes at 200 watt/seconds each, siren whooping and airhorns blaring. Out they come............" I didn't see it"

See you? Often? Never? Who cares? It doesn't matter if they saw you or did not. If they are where you will be, before they are not, you are in trouble.

Why in the world would someone be "more scared" of someone who doesn't see them than a person who sees them and pulls out anyhow? It's like being more afraid of someone blindly shooting into the air than a person who is drawing a bead on you and pulling the trigger!

I have only laid out a few options for the people who mentioned a desire to ease the load a bit. I have stated that at times I turn my lights off in daytime. I have and will. 'Nuff explanation.

I am firm in my reasons. I have not suggested anyone else do so. That is, in some cases their decision to make.

TIAAIIATSOTM

What do you mean about relying on the other person being blind?

RE-PHRASING THE QUESTION

Do you mean you rely on assuming the other person might be blind?

It doesn't matter if they saw you or did not.

:huh2:

Why in the world would someone be "more scared" of someone who doesn't see them than a person who sees them and pulls out anyhow?

I have no idea. Did I give the impression that I was more scared of the blind than the homicidal?

I just believe there are more blind than homicidal, so I have greater concern and fear of not being seen, than of people going after me maliciously.

I suppose you could assume that most of those who cut you off are malicious killers. I assume they don't see.

Of course there are the type that cut me off out of stupidity, to the point that I have to put the brakes on softly to avoid hitting them, and those may fall into the category of those who see, but pull out anyhow.

But they don't endanger me like the vision impaired drivers cutting me off, where the only chance of survival is evasion, and not necessarilly braking.

I just don't understand your statement about relying on blind drivers.

I think it is a semantic inquirie, not one about the safety of your riding.

I don't rely on negative things, I rely on positive things.

But I rely on the predictability of negative things. There is a difference.

No , I meant what I said. I said I would RATHER rely on the person being blind. (As opposed to assuming he was going to respond rationally after seeing me.Then failing to respond in a defensive manor) "Blind" being an inability to see for whatever reason.

If some idiot pulls out in front of you after seeing you or not seeing you, the outcome is the same. No difference equals it doesn't matter. :huh2:

Speaking of blindness

I agree, but I think you could have phrased it better earlier.

Where is Nogbad, our grammar policeman?

EDIT note the first part of this post, I wrote before reading your last reply. Thanks for the clarification.

OK, I want to buy that switch off of e-bay...can someone from the Netherlands tell me what button that page above says either "buy" or "email seller" ? Thx

It's a German seller, by the way. He speaks English.

Hubert