Well --

If this thread wasn't offending anyone before, how about now...

Thread came up on Wildguzzi about the ship that recently crashed and spilled fuel and cargo in to the sea... some items washed on shore (including some 50 BMW motorcycles) which were taken away by looters.

It was noted in that thread by a UK citizen that The Crown is the rightful own of these "lost" goods due to where they've washed up.

I ask -- in all seriousness, because I am an ingorant American and just don't know -- what does the Royal Family do in/for the United Kingdom these days? Aren't politics handled by the Prime Minister and Parliament? Aren't the members of the Royal Family just figureheads and land owners at this point?

:huh:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well --

Thread came up on Wildguzzi about the ship that recently crashed and spilled fuel and cargo in to the sea... some items washed on shore (including some 50 BMW motorcycles) which were taken away by looters.

It was noted in that thread by a UK citizen that The Crown is the rightful own of these "lost" goods due to where they've washed up.

I ask -- in all seriousness, because I am an ingorant American and just don't know -- what does the Royal Family do in/for the United Kingdom these days? Aren't politics handled by the Prime Minister and Parliament? Aren't the members of the Royal Family just figureheads and land owners at this point?

:huh:

It's my understanding thet these days "The Crown" no longer means the private estate of the monarch, but the general central government. But I'm sure a QC (top lawyer) some where will argue the toss funded by legal aid, and provide exceptions.

As a police officer I'm " a citizen locally appointed but having authority under the crown......"

As a former commissioned officer in the RAF I swore my allegiance to the Queen, her heirs and successors and then some guff about doing as I was told to do by those appointed over me.

So to my mind you're correct.

but I do think they serve a purpose and I'd be loathed to replace them with an elected head of state.

I think you may have inadvertently posted to the wrong board. Whereas here there may be one or two here who occasionally get the wrong end of the stick, there are other boards where the majority get the wrong stick.

Quite. And here's an example of just such a board from the wrong side of the pond.

end-of-the-stick site across the pond

Stick whitling is of course a popular passtime in the New World. There, a man or boy is only a big girl's blouse if he don't have a jack-knife in his pocket and a fair weight of shavings in his turn-ups. If you can't shave a pointy stick from a stave of firewood, well, it's all up: you might as well move to Canada and attempt to keep your spirits up with folk dancing.

This probably belongs in Tech Topics, but anyway, I got these tips from one of JRT's favourite sites: Lumber the American Way.

– The Best Way to Get the Wrong End of the Stick –

A bundle of sticks is held in one hand with the wrong end of the sticks touching a flat table. A Big Stick, usually with a 'nice' grain, is set aside and can be used as a whitling stick during 'thinking', or 'resting', periods. The sticks are then released, and fall in a pile. The first player chooses a stick and removes it by hand by lifting it, pressing down on the right end of a stick, or clouting it out with the whitling stick. A turn ends if any bystander unintentionally gets the wrong end of the stick. The next player continues to extract sticks. The sticks may be worth differing numbers of points (based on how many wrong ends they have), each player trying to reach the highest total score possible.

I ask -- in all seriousness, because I am an ingorant American and just don't know --

I don't think just because you're american makes you ignorant.

That would be racist.

Not sure what would define you as ingorant, though.......

(sorry, couldn't resist) :)

I ask -- in all seriousness, because I am an ingorant American and just don't know --

That would be racist.

I thought you were Irish? :bier::drink::vomit::whistle:

:lol:

(sorry I couldn't resist either) :D

That would be racist.

Umm--

:moon:

Yeah.

I think that just means I don't bother spell checking... all the correct letters were there...

Just not in the right order!

:drink:

Umm--

:moon:

Yeah.

I think that just means I don't bother spell checking... all the correct letters were there...

Just not in the right order!

:drink:

I was just about to post this in response to Ben's

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. This link has a whole load of different language versions.

It took me a couple of goes to get what Ferg was getting at :homer::drink::lol:

:thumbsup:

it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae.

Good

• 2 weeks later...

Well --

:

:2c: well it seems to me the monarch has total power [in a covert way] as in knighthoods, and peerage, still rules here. ''my lord'' has a different meaning than in the states. :blush:

:2c: well it seems to me the monarch has total power [in a covert way] as in knighthoods, and peerage, still rules here. ''my lord'' has a different meaning than in the states. :blush:

oh good god, now you've done it. why did you have to say monarch? BFG'll be all over this one :lol:

malebutterfly.gif

I think you may have inadvertently posted to the wrong board. Whereas here there may be one or two here who occasionally get the wrong end of the stick, there are other boards where the majority get the wrong stick.

p.s. Edison was a thieving, lying git.

Applying Boolean logic, that would mean one should stick with the wrong board.

012107_top.jpg

This is not a telephone

no its not! and it definately sent me nooo positive messages, which leaves me to ask! what is it used for. noot a sports bike, and i definetly would not go out back with it. :huh2:

no its not! and it definately sent me nooo positive messages, which leaves me to ask! what is it used for. noot a sports bike, and i definetly would not go out back with it. :huh2: sorry i just remembered ''its a stunt bike'' specificaly designed for stunt riders with asbestos artificial right legs. :D