setting tps/ 150mv does not work.

2or4strokes

Hi guys

Just thought I'll share this adjustment procedure on my sports 1100i which I tried to follow the instructions given by our fellow member. I actually checked my sports 1100i tps and it was running at 310mv and running well with all attachments disconnected , even the idle screw and choke. This reading allows the bike to run fairly well(guzzista are never satisfied, at least in my case). I also checked my copa italia which is running very well and it reads 463mv with all attachments disconnected.

Now the problem ? the sports 1100i cannot even idle when I used 150mv as a starting point to tune. The bike is even difficult to start and the throttle feels fluffy when rev. I thought I'll just follow the reading on the v11 copa italia that is 463mv and see whether it works but the sporty still cannot work on this setting. Finally i USED BACK the same setting of 310 mv and it works once again. With all connected the reading is 530mv or thereabouts.

Can some of the our technical experts please explain why this is so for my 2 bikes. Just a further thought is that when I brought the bike to a dealer his diagnostic tool reads a throttle angle of 3.2 for the sports 1100i with all attached and which is what allows the bike to idle and ride.

Sounds t me like the idle trim is off. This is adjusted electronically using the diagnostic tooling.

Pete

Hi Pete

What does it mean? where is the idle trim ? Is it the mixture trim screw in the ecu? Could you share with me how it is adjusted since my mechanic(not a dealer, for there is no agent in my country) has a diagnostic tool but is not familiar about this.

Hi Pete

What does it mean? where is the idle trim ? Is it the mixture trim screw in the ecu? Could you share with me how it is adjusted since my mechanic(not a dealer, for there is no agent in my country) has a diagnostic tool but is not familiar about this.

It's a 16M computer isn't it? I haven't played with a 16M for ages. I believe that it is adjusted with the trimpot screw under the big rubber bung but far better to look in the manual which I'm sure will be available on Greg Bender's site.

Pete

I believe that it is adjusted with the trimpot screw under the big rubber bung

That is correct. Anti-clockwise is richer. Mid-scale is "default setting" and if we call that 12 o'clock, I have mine at about 10 o'clock.

Before that though, are you positive that the fast-idle cam (on the TB) is moved out of the way when "all attachments is disconnected"? I made that mistake the first time I tried reading base trim. Even with fast idle cable comletely removed, that cam can pose as a second idle stop and thus everything was not backed off as I thought. If the roller on the cam follower is not free to, well, roll... then everything is actually not backed off. You adjust that cam by loosening a screw from below.

Hi guys

Just thought I'll share this adjustment procedure on my sports 1100i which I tried to follow the instructions given by our fellow member. I actually checked my sports 1100i tps and it was running at 310mv and running well with all attachments disconnected , even the idle screw and choke. This reading allows the bike to run fairly well(guzzista are never satisfied, at least in my case). I also checked my copa italia which is running very well and it reads 463mv with all attachments disconnected.

Now the problem ? the sports 1100i cannot even idle when I used 150mv as a starting point to tune. The bike is even difficult to start and the throttle feels fluffy when rev. I thought I'll just follow the reading on the v11 copa italia that is 463mv and see whether it works but the sporty still cannot work on this setting. Finally i USED BACK the same setting of 310 mv and it works once again. With all connected the reading is 530mv or thereabouts.

Can some of the our technical experts please explain why this is so for my 2 bikes. Just a further thought is that when I brought the bike to a dealer his diagnostic tool reads a throttle angle of 3.2 for the sports 1100i with all attached and which is what allows the bike to idle and ride.

I am going out on a limb and suspect the .150v setting is for a COMPLETELY closed throttle plate angle.

Hi Pete

It's a 16M computer isn't it? I haven't played with a 16M for ages. I believe that it is adjusted with the trimpot screw under the big rubber bung but far better to look in the manual which I'm sure will be available on Greg Bender's site.

Pete

Hi Pete

The idle trim you mentioned only adjust the air fuel mixture, . Can it affect the reading of the tps so drastically?

Hi guys

I am going out on a limb and suspect the .150v setting is for a COMPLETELY closed throttle plate angle.

Hi gstallons

Now I'm really confused . I thought the throttle was already fully closed when I push against it. Is there another fully closed throttle plate angle.

Hi guys

Hi gstallons

Now I'm really confused . I thought the throttle was already fully closed when I push against it. Is there another fully closed throttle plate angle.

I believe that it is adjusted with the trimpot screw under the big rubber bung

That is correct. Anti-clockwise is richer. Mid-scale is "default setting" and if we call that 12 o'clock, I have mine at about 10 o'clock.

Before that though, are you positive that the fast-idle cam (on the TB) is moved out of the way when "all attachments is disconnected"? I made that mistake the first time I tried reading base trim. Even with fast idle cable comletely removed, that cam can pose as a second idle stop and thus everything was not backed off as I thought. If the roller on the cam follower is not free to, well, roll... then everything is actually not backed off. You adjust that cam by loosening a screw from below.

Hi Raz

Mine is now at 11 o'clock but this mixture screw or idle trim cannot affect the millivolt reading so drastically I believed.

there are throttle stop screws (on each throttle body) that need to be backed out all the way before you set the baseline.

there are throttle stop screws (on each throttle body) that need to be backed out all the way before you set the baseline.

Hi Fotoguzzi

I know about this and the screws have been backed out

Hi Fotoguzzi

Unhook the balance rod to the right injector, back off the idle stop screw, actuate the injector manually a couple of times to make sure its closed, and set the TPS at 150mv is what I did on Centauros. The trim pot in the computer is for idle mixture, but affects the mixture up to 4K or so IIRC. Has nothing to do with the TPS.

Hi Fotoguzzi

Unhook the balance rod to the right injector, back off the idle stop screw, actuate the injector manually a couple of times to make sure its closed, and set the TPS at 150mv is what I did on Centauros. The trim pot in the computer is for idle mixture, but affects the mixture up to 4K or so IIRC. Has nothing to do with the TPS.

Hi Chuck

thats what I did and it cant't work on 150mv as mentioned.

• 2 months later...

An update on this thread that I started. I know now why my bike copa italia can't run on 150 millivolt base setting. It is supposed to run on 465mv as according to the race ecu instructions which i found recently. I tried setting it to 150mv and since it has a power commander send it off to my tuner who try as he might cannot obtain a satisfactory map for it on the dyno. it will either be powerful but cannot hold a constant throttle or does it by feeling too rich and with poor throttle response.

Anyway it can't be tune to the way it runs at 465mv. So know I know the reason or did I open up a can of worms.

Also on a side note my sports 1100i is now set to 150mv base after i reverted back to standard exhuast system. The last time with a full termi system it cannot run at this setting but required 310mv as mentioned. Strange but true in my case.