Hi new here and have a ton of questions

ninjlao

Long story short my father passed away and I have acquired his Moto Guzzi V11 le mans. Now I wouldn't consider myself a rider but he has taught me how. The bike hasn't been ridden for a few years. I need to be able to move it around. I know a lot of die hard fans might think I should prob get rid of it to someone that knows, and will properly take care of this bike, but its a memorabilia of my father and I dont want to.

Here are my first few questions.

- most important thing is the battery. Is it something I can just pick up from walmart. I just need something to get this thing moving for right now. I found a few people talking about odyssey and some other OEM brand but I do not need those for now. I just need something I can pick up after work and not something I need to order online and wait.

- What maintenance is required. I will do a search again later but I figured if anyone has some spare time on their hands they can just give me the quick rundown.

- I see that a lot of people are talking about some charging problem, I think mine may have that problem. I have jumped the bike but the moment I take the jumpers off the bike dies. I am pretty experienced with cars and this usually it means the alternator is dead, but then I have no clue if there is even an alternator on this thing.

- IF there is anything else I should know please let me know.

Thanks for your time. I am willing to learn. and I appologize for being such a noob.

Hi, Sorry to hear about your Dad, but nice to know you value the things that remind you of him. You should get that thing running, and take a ride. What year is it, can you post pictures of it?

1. I don't know if you can just stop in at the local Wallyworld. Stop in and see if you can cross referance the battery. If not, go online and check the Moto Guzzi website to see if you have a dealer nearby, can't tell from your location as posted. If you are so inclined, you could get a battery shipped by 1 day mail for a higher cost if time is of the essence.

2. After you get a sound battery, unless the bike has sat for years, or you know it had some problem that caused it to be parked, I would check the oil level, drain the old gas and put in some new gas and hit the button.

3. Because the bike is EFI, they tend to start exhibiting problems if the battery isn't at least 12.7 volts, or more. Depending on how old your battery is, I would at least put a voltometer on it with the bike off and check the static level. Once you get a good battery in (assuming the one you have is below that 12.7 v.) you will get a better idea of if you have actual problems. The alternator is at the front of the motor, behind the round cover.

There will always be folks who can help with your questions, and NOBODY cares if you are a "noob", we all have to start somewhere. Depending on your location, there may even be members who would stop by and pitch in. :thumbsup: Good luck, S.H.

First of all, my condolences............

You are jump starting the bike with another battery. If so, have the other vehicle off so the alternator will not be influencing your bike. Turn the key on to make sure charge light is on. Then start the bike to see if the light goes out. Then connect a DVOM to the battery and use the fast idle to run it about 1500 rpm. It should show at least 14v charge rate.

If all this is good and the bike will run with this battery connected, you just need to get a battery and Battery Tender for winter charging.

Long story short my father passed away and I have acquired his Moto Guzzi V11 le mans. Now I wouldn't consider myself a rider but he has taught me how. The bike hasn't been ridden for a few years. I need to be able to move it around. I know a lot of die hard fans might think I should prob get rid of it to someone that knows, and will properly take care of this bike, but its a memorabilia of my father and I dont want to.

Here are my first few questions.

- most important thing is the battery. Is it something I can just pick up from walmart. I just need something to get this thing moving for right now. I found a few people talking about odyssey and some other OEM brand but I do not need those for now. I just need something I can pick up after work and not something I need to order online and wait.

- What maintenance is required. I will do a search again later but I figured if anyone has some spare time on their hands they can just give me the quick rundown.

- I see that a lot of people are talking about some charging problem, I think mine may have that problem. I have jumped the bike but the moment I take the jumpers off the bike dies. I am pretty experienced with cars and this usually it means the alternator is dead, but then I have no clue if there is even an alternator on this thing.

- IF there is anything else I should know please let me know.

Thanks for your time. I am willing to learn. and I appologize for being such a noob.

First.. you say that when you take the jumpers off the bike dies. That *probably* means that the battery in the bike is completely toast. Now. Don't do that again. If the bike's battery can't absorb the spike in voltage that the alternator puts out, it can smoke the ecu. (computer) Expen$ive.

The battery in a VllS will not be cheap. Because it has to lay down, it needs to be a gel or AGM.

If OC in your address means Orange County, Kalifornia.. you're in luck. There are many knowledgeable dealers and riders in SoCal. I'll be out in South LA in a couple of weeks..

Welcome Ninjlao.

I think it's great that your keeping the bike and continuing on with your dad's passion.Maybe pass her down to your kids when the time comes.

I second the vote, DO NOT EVER JUMP START A MOTORCYLE BATTERY!!

I would agree with Henry to not go with a cheap battery.Why buy one now and another in a year.I have the original battery in mine,almost a 10y old bike. :thumbsup: Be patient,especially in Ca you can ride all year.But Dec-Jan are great months to get her sorted while the Santa Ana winds and then the heavy rains of winter pass.

After you get her started,the first thing I would do is in this order,

Change the oil and filter

Check the tire pressures,if the tires are more than 2-3 years old chuck em'

Check the brake pads

Flush brake and clutch fluids

Check gearbox and bevel fluid levels

Check and lube wheel bearings

Lube driveshaft

All these things are important to yous and the bikes LIFE!

After that I would ,

Clean or replace air filter

Check ,adjust valve lash

Check, adjust TPS

Check, replace plugs

Check steering bearings

Torque heads if you feel like it

These are the most common maintenance items and once sorted ,pretty easy to keep up year to year.

Yes motorcycling is expensive,but all these things combined,if you do it yourself and get new tires and battery,dont equal an average weeks salary.

Enjoy and keep asking questions :drink:

As stated by others, you will need a gel or AGM battery. The top of the line Yuasa brand can be had at nearly any motorcycle shop. I picked up an excellent battery at a Batteries+ store, at a bargain price. Yes, keep the bike. A Moto Guzzi is not much like a Japanese bike as far as living through a lack of care. We who do own them, and keep on with them, think of them as an enthusiasts bike. We do reap rewards satisfactory to our level of involvement. If your father's Guzzi begins to wear on you, take a break from it, and get back to it when you have time. The day may well come when you find out what a Guzzi does for you. Hope so!

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, tell us more about him, the Guzzi community is quite small I'm sure others here knew him and

would jump at the chance of helping you sort out his bike.

Yes, you must definately keep the bike, once you get it back on the road it will be a constant reminder of your Father.

The battery probably needs replacing if it's been sitting for 5 years or more but you could try charging it up first.

Yuasa batteies are conventional Lead Acid and not that expensive.

Post some photos, perhaps one of your Dad with the bike.

BTW, what year LeMans?

Cheers

Roy

I really appreciate everyone's help. I just invested in a Yuasa battery like everyone has reccomended. I believe the bike is 2002. Hopefully I can post up pictures of the bike later on today.

I figured I would need to do an oil change and everything. Is this something I can get at the local autoparts store? What weights should I get? is there a specific brand I should get? I will look for a write up on how to do it. I asked the local autoparts and they have the proper oil filter for the bike, but I didnt purchase anything because I didnt know what weight oil I should use. Also the transmission in this thing shares oil with the engine correct? I know I should really do my own research but I just want to make sure from people that use the bikes frequently.

Again I really appreciate your help. I'm shocked how supportive this community is.

Luhbo and Kiwi-

My father died at the age of 55 of a stroke. He was always a motorhead and loved motorcycles. He was one of the first owners of Yoshimura racing USA when it came into the states. He taught me everything there is to know about cars, and so I do a lot of amatuer track events myself, and currently do a lot of suspension tuning and consulting for a few race teams. My father has collected a few single Cylinder bikes, but we already got rid of all of them, and I kept the one bike that he road out almost every weekend.

He was a business man here in california and owned a heavymachinery retailer, primary Forklifts and smaller container Trucks.

I doubt anyone here would know who he is, because I know he mainly road through Mulholland canyon and other local canyons here by himself, and definitely wasnt tech savy enough to use an online forum. LOL.

But thanks for asking.

I use Mobil Synthetic 15/40 oil with OEM filter. The transmission oil is seperate from the engine. Most people use RedLine, I use Motorcraft 75/90 Synthetic gear lube in the transmission and rear drive.

p.s.Purchase a Pete Roper spacer plate available at MotoInternational (if you live in the US) along with proper gaskets. Use a hose clamp when installing the new filter to keep them from backing off... $$$$$$

Oh no, you've gone and started another oil thread.

Seriously I think most use the recomended synthetic along with OEM filters. I'm a long way from my

manual at the moment.

There a 3 different oils, motor, gearbox and rear drive. I would start with just the motor,

it's hardly likely the transmission would need changing.

Try to make contact with some other guzzi riders in your area, they will point in the right direction.

http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/index.htm

I'm sure you will find a manual on this excelent site

Another good site

http://www.wildguzzi.com/forum/ but not specific to your bike like this site.

Post on there and you will find guys in your area for sure.

Cheers

Roy

Luhbo and Kiwi-

Thx for answering. Mine passed at 56, leaving me a SR500, now owned by my elder, 21 year old son, after standing around for 25 years +.

After what you write about your technical background I'd just buy a new battery (as previously mentioned already), preferably a Hawker product, and ride on. All you need to know about that special bike you will find written down in the Users' Manual. It's not much what differs from any other motorcycle.

Hubert

My father died at the age of 55

He would be a kid compared to all the old geezers on this site :oldgit:

Here from the reference section are the shop and owners manual,http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1663

In the "How to " section it will have most of the maintenance procedures explained by owners

Before you "just ride it",I would physically prevent a family member or friend from riding a strange bike without doing these,

Change the oil and filter

Check the tire pressures,if the tires are more than 2-3 years old chuck em'

Check the brake pads

I'm sure your dad kept it in good shape but I do these on almost every ride and I maintain my bike myself.Things break or fail without lettin us know till sometimes too late.