2000 V11 Sport misfire

ush1000

Hi, I've had my fairly standard bike for just over 2 years. Hardly used it really, one thing and another, you know how it is. Its covered around 20,000 miles, in reasonable condition. Problem - misfire/cough at low revs when moving slowly, mostly when in traffic. From closed throttle engine will almost die then cough back into life. On tickover it sometimes does it as well, last MOT the test engineer commented on it. Very unnerving. Ridden fast you don't notice anything. Its quite intermittent which is annoying. I have changed original relays, fuel filter, plugs and leads. I've read a lot about TPS in FAQ etc but not really sure this is the problem? Also vibration through the bars is severe until you get to about 75mph then smooths out - is this normal?

Many thanks

Andrew

Most people like to set the TPS @ 450mV with the KOEO. If that doesn't help, you will probably need to get a PowerCommander module to straighten it out.

The head shake is something you can live w/out ! I would suspect you need new front tire.

Wait for others to give their 2cents worth before you act.

The front end should not shake, and that is something that could be serious, including bent front wheel, warped front brake rotor or perhaps a severely/differentially worn front tire. The bike should track straight on a flat well-maintained paved road going straight when you release the bars at anything above say 30 mph (I would not test this with your bike in current condition). I assume your front shocks feel normal when you compress them a standstill with front brake on. If you are instead referring to "handlebar vibration" I have almost none on my 2001 Sport, though I have standard anti-vibration handlebar weights screwed into the ends of the clip-ons (nothing exotic). You are right to not assume this stuff is "normal" and to seek the advice of people here on this Forum.

Re: misfire I have a slight "bobble" at around 2800 rpm if I am running a low throttle as the engine seems to want more fuel in the low end. This was reduced substantially with the addition of a PCIII but I still feel it sometimes. I always run high octane fuel FWIW.

My '01 will occasionally stumble and carry-on below 3500 rpm or so. When it gets to the point of annoyance, I reset the TPS. The remainder of the rpm range has been smoothed out by tinkering with the ol' PCIII.

Check your motor mount bolts...when I purchased mine, one motor mount bolt was missing, and the second was loose. Tightening/replacing them helped. I also backed off the steering damper. Between the two, it really changed the bike. Shortly thereafter, I replaced the tires and that made it even better.

Some people are very sensitive to vibration---I'm one of them. I ended up putting aftermarket heated grip wraps around each grip, which really knocked out the handlebar vibes (and you can plug them in if you want to get toasty). I replaced the metal footpegs with a pair that have rubber inserts knocking out the vibration that put my legs to sleep. k

I would start by doing a valve adjustment.. also do you have a stock crossover? some of the low rpm shake might go away if you get a Mistral, it worked for me and I'd do that before a power commander.

I think you need to start with the valve adjustment as fotoguzzi states and then syncronize the throttle bodies and adjust the TPS. I used to adjust my tps to 450mv, but it seems the norm now is 550mv from what I picked up on the Guzzitech site. The vibration you feel might be the throttle bodies out of sync. which could cause the cough and also vibrations at lower engine rpm. An engine miss will also cause this issue, but do the sync. first to see if the problem goes away.

I have also experenced the cough at 3 to 3500 rpm, usually only when the bike has been ridden in hot temps. Hmm, all of my bikes seem to have this issue and I just replaced the tps on one of the bikes and so far it seems to of cured it. Time to order 2 more tps for my other bikes.

Mike

I would start by doing a valve adjustment.. also do you have a stock crossover? some of the low rpm shake might go away if you get a Mistral, it worked for me and I'd do that before a power commander.

Thanks chaps, I will start with throttle body sync and TPS check - probably go to a dealer as I am not sure I have the expertise or tools for the job. The bike currently has standard exhaust and silencers but I have a Mistral crossover and carbon silencers to fit in the spring - wahoo can't wait. Hopefully will get some more miles on the bike in 2012.

Happy New Year

Andrew

I'd check all that has been said so far, but it might be worth checking the inlet rubbers as well, as they're known to perish and leak causing a lean mixture (could also cause vibes). Most likely balance is out I would think.

Where in the UK are you? If you're not too far away I could help out if needed.

Trev

If you haven't already, you should also add to your bike a Powercommander because replacing the stock exhaust cans with a more free flow cans will most likely cause more loss of low end power. Just a thought.

Mike

Thanks chaps, I will start with throttle body sync and TPS check - probably go to a dealer as I am not sure I have the expertise or tools for the job. The bike currently has standard exhaust and silencers but I have a Mistral crossover and carbon silencers to fit in the spring - wahoo can't wait. Hopefully will get some more miles on the bike in 2012.

Happy New Year

Andrew

I'd check all that has been said so far, but it might be worth checking the inlet rubbers as well, as they're known to perish and leak causing a lean mixture (could also cause vibes). Most likely balance is out I would think.

Where in the UK are you? If you're not too far away I could help out if needed.

Trev

Thanks for the offer, I am in Kent so not really handy for you. I have a couple of jobs to do on the Imola to get it ready for MOT, meantime I'll do a search on this site for tips on how to check throttle sync and TPS.

Andrew

Depends which bit of Kent, Andrew. Home town for me was Gravesend, so I know Kent fairly well.

I get down that way on the bike fairly regularly (although it'll be less in 2012) with my "normal" ride out being Oakdene cafe on the A20 on the way through to the Strand cafe at Rye then over to Wessons at Horam and up to Box Hill and home. If I go all twisties it's about 500 ish miles depending on the route. I used to meet up with an old mate of mine and regular touring buddy from Headcorn until earlier this year when he died in a crash.

It'd be good to meet up sometime anyway just to compare bikes!

Trev

Andrew this should be in the "Technical Section",you'll get a lot more views.

Also an offer from an owner for help is valuable as we do a lot of work on these beasts ourselves.I would trust us,more than some shops.not all,but some.Looks like you already do some wrenching with that nice collection you got :thumbsup:

You've been given a lot of good advice here,it has to be running well before putting on any fueling mods.

The shake,if it's more than just normal vibes,had got to be tire,rotor,wheel,bearings,or engine mounts,as already suggested.That'l narrow it down! :lol:

Keep posting.

Depends which bit of Kent, Andrew. Home town for me was Gravesend, so I know Kent fairly well.

I get down that way on the bike fairly regularly (although it'll be less in 2012) with my "normal" ride out being Oakdene cafe on the A20 on the way through to the Strand cafe at Rye then over to Wessons at Horam and up to Box Hill and home. If I go all twisties it's about 500 ish miles depending on the route. I used to meet up with an old mate of mine and regular touring buddy from Headcorn until earlier this year when he died in a crash.

It'd be good to meet up sometime anyway just to compare bikes!

Trev

Trev, I used to live a stones throw from Oakdene, noe just a few miles from Headcorn (sorry to hear about your friend). We get down to Wessons cafe a few times a year, Rye also, so meeting up is definately on the cards!! Really pleased with the responses to my thread, I will get stuck in and have a go myself as I have lots of time at present.

I'll keep posting.

Happy New Year

Andrew

Happy New Year

Andrew

balancing the TB's won't get to the bottom of the problem if your valves are too tight.. Start with valve settings before TB sync.