V11 Sport fitting Mistral Exhaust

ush1000

I am in the middle of fitting Mistral exhaust and crossover. I have removed the entire existing system. The standard crossover fits onto the frame of the bike with a simple peg mounted on a lug. I cannot get this peg off the crossover to fit it onto the new crossover. Anyone any experience here? The peg has a bolt head on top but only a round peg underneath. It sandwiches a rubber mount. Also all 4 exhaust brackets (2 on crossover, 2 on silencers) seem to be fixed to their respective component rather than free to come off and exchange onto the new system? Are they supposed to come off? Wonder if I am being a bit of a wus.

Cheers

Andrew

Meow  :grin: 

Andrew that stuff gets baked on with road debris making it difficult to remove.Hit it with PB Blaster or equivalent penetrant and let it sit for a few hours or overnight and add heat if you can with a tap of a rubber mallet it should free up.Keep all components loose ,including headers,use copper paste at connections and all should be well.It's tight but it should go back together without too much drama.

Do you have a PCIII to adjust fuel with the new parts?Also was running well and tuned before changing parts?You may want to at least reset TPS and balance TB's after.

Thanks for reply. I managed to replicate this fitting by raiding my spares basket. Also managed to find 2 s/s exhaust brackets so everything is now fitted and the bike sounds beautiful. The TPS and TB's had recently been set up with standard cans, no effect with new cans, runs ok. Really must look at suspension now as its very soft front and back!

Very timely, this post... I've been thinking of fitting the Mistral X-over with standard cans for some time, but have kept putting it off. The bike's running just fine so far, so no urgency until now.

Today things have come to a head: I went on a Guzzi Club run to the Ace Caff today and arrived at the starting point for the run with a noise like a bag full of spanners coming from down below at tickover. Revving just a bit made it quiet down only to return at idle. Judging from the location I thought it was the clutch coming apart at first, but it turned out to be something coming loose in the standard crossover (is there a baffle or something inside?). Whatever it is, having taken the standard X-over box out, it won't shake out but the noise is embarrassingly loud when stopped at the lights, so the box'll have to be replaced, hence the Mistral X-over rising back to the top of the agenda.

So, firstly, is the Mistral item a straight direct swap to replace the standard box fit to standard pipes and cans?

Second, do I have to remap the ECU to accommodate the Mistral X-over or should it work OK (if no better) without changing map?

Ideally of course I'd fit a PCIII, new cans, remap the ECU etc. to get the full benefit. All on the roadmap of course, but no budget to do all at once (in the real world). Just don't want to wreck things by doing half a job. Any advice to offer?

AndyH

I just fit the Mistral crossover to my Nero Corsa. I'd already put the MG Ti cans on the bike and left the stock ECU (the Guzzi pipes come with a different map that presumably has greater advance.). Adding the crossover gave splendid improvment, and I'm still using the stock ecu. I will try swapping the ecu and PCIII this week.

I'd heard that the Mistral gives much better mid range and improves the sound in the process but I wasn't sure if the former benefit was dependent on re-mapping the ECU.

The main thing is that it seems like it'll swap straight in and I can do this by stages... X-over first then the PCIII. 

Which means I'll be able to can that bucket-of-bolts standard X-over just that bit sooner.

AndyH

The PC3 will be the icing on the cake Andy.  It will definitely runs better with one that has been set up for your bike.  The generic V11 maps will get you in the ball park. Another option would be to remap the current ecu.  You won't need to do both.

Different configurations (without a PC3) will affect different parts of the rev range.  The Mistral crossover with standard cans does fill a hole in the mid range, but loses a little top end.  With open Mistral cans also, you'll have an even stronger mid range, but it'll run lean at the top end and feel a little flat past about 6500rpm.  More noticeable than with standard cans.  Stick DB killers in the Mistrals and you get the top end back and a similar midrange to standard.  I also have a modified airbox on mine and some internal mods, so things might be a little different on your bike.  Open Mistrals and crossover are very loud, be warned!

In case you didn't know, especially as PC3s are quite hard to come by for V11s, the Ducati 900 Monster (and possibly others too) uses the same ecu and a PC3 for that will fit and work fine once the appropriate map for the Guzzi has been installed.  As a generic product, a PC3 will work on just about everything.  The differences are in how the unit connects to the bikes.  If you check on the Dynojet website you'll see that there are two types of firmware - one for Harleys and one for everything else.

Ok, so what's clear from your helpful responses, for which many thanks by the way, is that the Mistral x-over is a 'good thing' in general.

I am indeed looking for improved mid-range running, but not too much at the expense of the top end, so the x-over with standard cans seems like a good start for now. Like the look of the mistral cones though...

I've been looking at recent posts and links on mapping the standard ecu and have downloaded the software and drivers and ordered some leads on-line. Not sure how much success I'll have with it when it's all together: hopefully I can return the map to standard any time as I've learned never to underestimate my ability to make a pig's ear of things when I tinker with settings.

Andy

He stopped working at MI and Pffft,...Like Keyser Soze,....disappeared.Kinda of a mystery because he was here all the time and seemed like a life long Guzzi enthusiast.Almost like it was part of his job.No job,no Greg.Or maybe he just wanted to get away for awhile if the parting wasn't amicable?,.. :huh2: