Brand-new Scura

Scud

Finally got a day of wrenching.  :luigi:  :D

Flushed all three hydraulics - they were nasty after 12 years, especially the clutch.  The rear brake was well below the minimum level mark (should have checked that earlier) and the fluid tank was super loose. Also replaced rear brake o-ring bumper (it disintegrated when I touched it). 

Darkness :ninja: fell on the front of the bike:

• Rizoma fluid tanks and brackets for clutch and front brake (new hoses too). I don't plan on buying too many fancy parts - but these are just eye-candy!!!
  • Tinted turn signal lenses with VHT Nite Shades spray (one coat - not too dark)
  • Painted (black of course) a bunch of silver screw heads and washers that hold other black or carbon-fiber things on (fairing, pillion cover, turn indicator stalks, front fender, dash, etc.)  There are a lot more of these to go as I work on other parts of the bike.
  • Painted the chrome rings on the horns (Does anybody just take these off? Who actually uses a horn?)
  • Figured out the Napoleon mirror mounting
  • Plugged left side mirror mount with the "official" plug
  • Plugged right side mirror mount with RAM ball mount for my gps - maybe I'll try a GoPro one day too...

The 3 screw heads on the warning light cover were a major PITA (unplanned HOURS). One came out easily, the other two just spun. So I took the back cover off the gauges. The white T-shaped plastic part that holds all the lights is a problem - the three metal screw-anchors for the mounting screws are just molded into soft plastic. Two of the three anchor points crumbled when I tried to remove the screws. This is the first time I've ever used Liquid Nails to get one of my motorcycles back together. 

Rear wheel is currently off - hopefully I can get my new tire changer figured out tomorrow. First time doing my own street-bike tires. Rear axle looks totally dry, I will follow the wheels-off maintenance checklist.

I think a carbon-fiber alternator cover would be nice - and some black paint on the heat-sink-thing, which I think might be a voltage regulator. I was going to paint that today - but it looks easier to remove when the tank is off.  Haven't got there yet.

Garage pics:

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

... and a general thank-you to forum members - especially those who post technical topics and maintenance checklists. This forum is really helping me learn about my bike, what to do, what to expect, etc.

Love those mirrors. I have a hard time ditching the factory bar end weights, seems to be a well designed system. How are the vibes without them?

Also if you want to hide the mirror mount hole you can flip that piece upside down.

She's looking great!

Love those mirrors. I have a hard time ditching the factory bar end weights, seems to be a well designed system. How are the vibes without them?

Also if you want to hide the mirror mount hole you can flip that piece upside down.

She's looking great!

Thanks. I flipped the piece.  Mirrors were a bugger to get on.  See Bar End Mirrors thread for details.  As for vibes, I won't claim that they've reduced the vibration - but I'm not sure they've increased it either.  Maybe the same - maybe a touch more or different, but not dramatically so.  The mirrors weigh less than the combined bar-end weights and stock mirrors - but they are further out, so maybe that compensates a bit.  I got the Napoleons on Amazon for $30 each.  Even after installation, the stalks rotate - so you can stick them way out, below the bars, or at 45-degree angles.  

photo (9).JPG

I like them a lot - even if they are a little shakier than the stockers.

Looking fantastic! :ninja:

(BTW, if your rear fluid is that low the pads are probably very thin.)

Thanks. Pads are still new (just over 1,000 miles on them).  I saw no sign of leakage and the system is holding pressure. I can only assume somebody did something to it - or it was poorly installed from the start. Definitely worth keeping watch for the next few rides.

Earned the "street motorcycle tire change" endorsement for my man-card today.  :luigi: Did a quick 30 mile bed-time-snack ride to Elfin Forest - I like new tires.

Took the opportunity to install angle valve stems, which are Scura-er than the stock ones.

Soooooo convenient.  Definitely recommended.  :thumbsup: I'll probably check my tire pressure more regularly, because it's so easy. 

It's been raining in San Diego (much needed). Meanwhile, a little more darkness also moved in over the Scura.

Installed the chin spoiler (aka belly pan) from Ghezzi-Brian.  See the thread "Chin Spoiler Search" for discount code good till year-end.

I also got Ghezzi-Brian's carbon fiber rear inner fender - but didn't install it yet, because I only have a swingarm lift and need to get the tension off the shock bolt to install the bracket. I am currently fenderless. The new fender is way smaller than the stock one; it will show a lot more tire and other interesting mechanical stuff.

Darkening  :ninja: in the back includes:

• Shortened the outer fender (quite a lot of parts and wires need to be removed to get that thing off)
  • Removed the California vapor canister
  • Tinted the indicators (please excuse the electrical tape on one, I over-tightened the screw and broke the lens)
  • Painted the chrome plastic tail light base (all except for the reflective part by the light)
  • Painted a few more bolts or screw heads: rear fender, passenger peg brackets, side panels, seat lock, screws that held stock fender - and added neoprene washers to cover the threaded inserts

IMG_2424.jpg

IMG_2425.jpg

Time to go riding...  :bike:

Even though I am having fun wrenching, it IS ultimately all about riding - which is why I am so amazed the previous owner only did 185 miles in 12 years...  And I FINALLY got a decent ride in today. Between travel, work, waiting to get good tires on, then rain (and scary-sandy roads), I've been itching to get out into the mountains. Grabbed a window of time and did about 140 miles of mostly curvy roads this afternoon. Over 1,200 miles on it now.

Totally thrilled with this bike. If it's true that the Ohlins are set up for a 150-160 pound rider, I may have lucked out. I'm 165 and feeling pretty good about the suspension. Very happy with the new tires.  

Per your earlier question re mirrors. I've settled in with the mirrors at 45-degree angles - nice wide view and for some reason they seem to vibrate less than when sticking straight up.

Earned the "street motorcycle tire change" endorsement for my man-card today.  :luigi: Did a quick 30 mile bed-time-snack ride to Elfin Forest - I like new tires.

Took the opportunity to install angle valve stems, which are Scura-er than the stock ones.

attachicon.gifphoto (7).JPG

Soooooo convenient.  Definitely recommended.  :thumbsup: I'll probably check my tire pressure more regularly, because it's so easy. 

Where did you get these (the angled valve stems) ? Also how hard was it to mount the Napoleon Bar end mirrors ? Can you tell me the basic installation procedure ? Was there a lot of filing and fitting ? Thanks for any help, Leon. (OLD GITT :oldgit:)   :mg:

Valve stems on Amazon.com for $25:  Here's the item description:  83deg Aluminum 8.3mm Racing Angled Valve Stem - Black - 2 Pack

To install the Nappies:

1. I held the nut in a vise-grip and used a bench grinder to grind down the flange till it fit inside the threaded bar-ends.
  2. Reducing the diameter of the rubber bushing is harder. I mounted it on a long bolt with various washer and nuts to keep it firmly in shape (stepped-diameter inside the bushing). Then I used the wire wheel on the bench grinder to get it down to size.
  3. The Nappies have a screw to adjust the tension for the stalk rotation. Too loose and the mirrors shake like mad. Too tight and you can't rotate the stalks.

To continue my darkening game, I made a another trip to my local hardware store, where I discovered a very nice selection of black fasteners. IMO black parts should have black fasteners; chrome and silver fasteners draw attention away from the more interesting parts. Sometimes, it's all about what you don't see instead of what you do see, as in the attached, which shows three replaced bolts (lower triple clamp) and one painted bolt (fairing). So far, I have darkened over 80 fasteners - and I have not even done the valve covers (which will be 16 more if I can find them in black).  :ninja:

Edit/warning:  The zinc-plated bolts are not suitable. There are two types of black zinc coatings, one looks flat and the other looks semi-glossy. The flat finish rusts quickly. I didn't see any rust yet on the semi-gloss ones (which is a more durable finish), but I did learn that they are not recommended for outdoor use. The original bolts are going back in (after paint or powder coat).

Interestingly, the bolts for the Napoleon mirrors are black, but the finish appears different still - like they have some kind of heavy duty clear coat.

IMG_2433.jpg

Edited by Scud

Fitted the Ghezzi-Brian carbon fiber rear inner fender. It was quite a bit more work than the belly pan, and I am pleased with the result.  Went for a quick 30 mile night ride - and the fender stayed on.  All is well.

IMG_2451.jpg

Here's how the GPS attaches to the RAM mount. Nice to have a map, clock, turn-by-turn directions when needed - and info regarding the ride - like 191 miles this morning.  :D

Finally got around to the transmission and drive oil changes last night. The only remaining original fluid is in the forks.

Meanwhile the silver screws and bolts are disappearing - replaced with black ones when possible and painted when not. In this photo, you can see black pinch bolt, frame shroud bolt, and tank pad bolts.

IMG_2462.jpg