My Le Mans 1000 - fully restored

lemans

Hello,

I would like to introduce you to my Moto Guzzi Le Mans 1000...

In the last two years I have generally renewed it and is now again ready to run.. :)

Before rebuild:

02.jpg

I own the bike for a 8 years and made with this bike around 100.000 km. Don't know how many km a previous owner made...I am very satisfied with the bike, but the time has come to put little more love and money in the bike.

Bike after rebuild:

IMAG0356_zps3077ba99.jpg

• Like 3

Waiting for some special decals for the side panels?

No...the same like on the fuel tank...

@GuzziMoto

The bike was tired...i made 100,000 km, owner before me some 50,000 and I don't know how many miles make the first owner...The bike was having problem with engine start, oil was leaking from breather, clutch was at the end and so and so....

I will put more pictures soon....work in progress...

Now I asked myself "with what to start first?". Here in Croatia we have a Moto Guzzi parts dealer, but for me, prices are too high and delivery time is insane...I have couple frends in Germany, so I decide to find and buy everything that I will need from German dealer. They have almost everything on stock and prices are ok for me.

So, on my worktable first was final drive; inside was a very funny story..one of the bold was loose and make a nice damage. Furthermore, traces of wear are visible everywhere: I need to replace main gear set:

I think that this is maximum of how this should be worn out... :D

diff01.jpg

On the rear end I have some more problems...one of the screw lost his head and it almost make a disaster:

Picture-008.jpg

Picture-002.jpg

Picture-004.jpg

After I saw all these damage, there was nothing else to do but buy a whole new inside of end drive...

Here is picture of this job done:

Picture-012.jpg

Picture-015-novi-dif.jpg

Next thing I did was disassembly and inspection of engine.  I had a professional help of my friend, I was not dared to do it myself...sorry for not having a detailed pictures of engine in parts, but my hands was all full of oil and I didn't have my camera with me...

Here is some pictures of this stage:

042_zps46ef4d2b.jpg

041_zpsb34c5aca.jpg

Cylinder heads had to be completely rebuild...so; new valves, new springs, valve guide, valve seats...Old exhaust valves have almost 1mm shift within the valve guide, so they destroyed the valve seats...

After measuring cylinders, we concluded that there are fine, in tolerance, and that nikasil is ok.

It looks like you're about to take us through a step-by-step restoration. I'll be watching this topic with great interest. How long did the whole project take?

Yes, I will show the whole process of what I was doing. For the whole restoration I need two years. I could do it faster, but I spent a lot of money that I did not have to end immediately...how much money I have, that's how much I worked on bike. And also, I have another bike that I was using in this period.

Next in line was the frame and the rest of the parts. I was thinking should I paint the frame or use powder coating...I went to a friend of mine to see how his powder coating turn out and then make a choice...definitely, powder coating..

Picture002u_zps42b3c8b8.jpg

Picture004u_zps92f05654.jpg

Picture005u_zps948660a4.jpg

Sandblasting parts:

Picture-019_zps3e0710a5.jpg

Picture-020_zps882d1587.jpg

This is wonderful to be able to share and enjoy. Especially without getting my hands dirty   . . .  ;)

(Ever notice that photos of our Guzzis-in-Process always have hammers in the background?) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

(Ever notice that photos of our Guzzis-in-Process always have hammers in the background?) :rolleyes:

:D  Yes...I did notice...Hammer is a very useful tool...there's an old saying: "if something does not go take a stronger hammer"

After sandblasting the frame and other parts it's time for powder coating: after 3 days, phone ring "frame is done..."

rama01_zpse1850bf9.jpg

rama02_zps338755b1.jpg

rama03_zps6b9b7268.jpg

In the meantime, the engine was disassembled and we made the diagnosis and parts list what to buy...new pistons with piston rings, all bearings and oil seals in and around the engine, main bearings, big end bearings, timing chain, push rods, tappets and a new cluch...

The gearbox is also taken to peaces; replaced all bearings and oil seals...