Oil level (again)

czakky

Sorry to post a dead horse topic here but I'm just still baffled by something.

My normal oil level check routine is either A: In garage before starting check oil level while on bike mostly horizontal to the world, dipstick screwed in all the way. Or B: same as before only after I fueled up and bike is warm and been sitting for 60-90 sec.

On Sunday I used method "A" before heading out and was surprised to see I was 2/3 low between marks. Topped up a half quart of Mobil 1 and off I went a little perplexed that I had gone through so much oil in only 1k miles. After scaring all the dairy cows I could find in SW Wisconsin I was on my way home and decided to check my level again (method "B") now I was at least a half quart over the full mark....?

I know oil expands and there is bound to be some oil that hides out in the thermostatically controlled oil cooler. I usually don't have such a variance between hot and cold readings. What is happening? Should I lose the extra half qt.?

I measure mine when it's cold.  When it's hot it's possible that the oil is draining down from the top end and getting all over the dipstick and showing the oil level to give a false overfilled reading.  On the other hand, the oil is still draining down and if the dipstick isn't in the down flow then the level reads falsely low.

He have come to a consensus here that an accurate level can be observed whether the bike is level or on the side stand.  I would think it's better to check it when it's cold and the oil has drained to the bottom of the sump. 

Ok, i thought I remembered the manual saying the level should be checked after running but I figure that is usually for after an oil change. I will stick to my usual method and try to find out who keeps stealing the oil out of my bike....

That's one of the things I like about Guzzi.. My Buell requires oil check when hot, as in w/in minutes of shutting off. It's a real bother but if I wait till it's cold it doesn't even show on the dip stick, I've added to much more than once.

What oil level warning light, my guzzis only have a pressure switch that comes on when it's too late like out of oil.

On that note the switches are very unreliable, my V11 Sport and the Eldorado now have pressure gauges.

@Foto I think I had a Kawi like that too. How does that even work? Dry vs Wet sump thing? Doesn't make sense to me....

Yes, that is how semi-dry sump (separate oil tank) systems have to be checked. And, yes, it's a PITA.

I would recommend the cold and level method - this has always worked for me. Alternatives - although viable, introduce variability (how warm is warm, how consistently not level ... etc)

Gravity is your friend in this matter!