Return To Le Langhe & Lago di Como

Orson

A quick trip to Italy for a rideabout... I headed south towards Tuscany

Crossing the Apennine Mountains from Modena to Lucca via the Abetone Pass

L1000463_zpstye3zngo.jpg

L1000462_zpse7krwyhy.jpg

Pitigliano

L1000467_zpsxktgh3gj.jpg

The Val d'Orcia has been designated a world heritage site. Google some pictures and you'll see why. I stayed with a couple who run a restaurant with a few rooms in Rocca d'Orcia. This is the third time I've stayed there and I feel I've become a friend rather than a client

Radicofani Castle in Tuscany.

L1000473_zpsfvddxyqx.jpg

After a few days motoring around Tuscany & Umbria, I headed north towards the Piedmont Region famous for its Barolo wines and white truffles.

The Langhe region with the Alps as a backdrop

L1000477_zps9y0repdw.jpg

L1000484_zpsef8ogs4f.jpg

L1000498_zps1twyqmxc.jpg

L1000491_zpsm9qwbju2.jpg

L1000488_zpsginxheee.jpg

L1000489_zpsufvpgpku.jpg

L1000500_zps9dw1u7bm.jpg

The mighty, mighty Goose at rest. The old girl still running as strong as the day I bought her

L1000501_zpsqekhlr1e.jpg

A neat aspect of the Langhe region is the several ridge lines that cross the area. The tops of these ridges offer spectacular views of the surrounding hill towns. Sometimes you can spot three, four or even five towns from one vantage point

L1000496_zpsssawgdwk.jpg

L1000490_zpsigbshtw5.jpg

L1000503_zpsrkvxirjr.jpg

L1000504_zpshidkrv2j.jpg

L1000506_zpst1ieas4w.jpg

L1000499_zps0hmt68zl.jpg

After a couple days puttering about the Langhe, I headed northwest to Lake Como to meet with fellow ST.Ners Daniel Kalal and DD and spousal unit Dan

First view of Lake Como

L1000507_zpsihmbkckh.jpg

A recent precipitation had dusted the Alps with snow but, the weather was glorious

L1000511_zpsdcyeehv2.jpg

DD & Dan weren't scheduled to arrive until late afternoon so, as the good weather was holding out, I decided to head out and explore.

Waiting to board the ferry at Belaggio. Wherever you park a Guzzi, an oldtimer is sure to bathe it with admiring glances.

L1000512_zpshr1jk7ht.jpg

Looking south from the ferry from Belaggio towards Como

L1000513_zps3x6aotkc.jpg

The Guzzi anxious to get going again. The ferry doesn't take long to cross the lake

L1000517_zpsnybn2cza.jpg

A mountain village nestled in the hills above Mandello

L1000518_zpsgqt8ttyd.jpg

Back down to the Lake in time for a late lunch

L1000519_zps1caftomv.jpg

After lunch, I decide to pay a visit to the factory. Guzzi owners are required to make at least one pilgrimage to the factory during their lifetimes

L1000520_zpsupf4hins.jpg

Last time I visited about 13 years ago, I was the sole visitor. This time, I was but one of dozens clamoring to gain entrance to the hallowed halls. A clear sign of Moto Guzzi's impending rise to World Domination

350cc world champion

L1000526_zpst41y3unn.jpg

Carlo Guzzi's desk. The phone on the desk is a direct line to the Vatican

L1000522_zpswoo2zpcz.jpg

The mythical otto cilindri

L1000530_zpswvbfrdpn.jpg

The eight cylinder engine, almost unbelievably as small as a modern inline four engine

L1000529_zpsx4te3sg8.jpg

Pausing on the way back to catch the ferry at Varenna for a requisite Guzzi on Lake Como picture

L1000539_zpszh88m0eq.jpg

Varenna is one of the prettier towns on the lake

L1000540_zpsvvnnestl.jpg

After disembarking in Belaggio, I had the pleasure of meeting fellow Guzzisti Daniel Kalal at a lakeside restaurant for a quick beer. Unfortunately, he couldn't hang around for dinner as he had to catch the last ferry. Later that evening, I met up with DD and Dan for a nice cocktail and dinner at our hotel. It was great to finally meet after more than a decade on ST.N and a couple of near misses. Unfortunately, I had to return to Parma the next day in order to catch my flight home.

I covered approximately 3,000 km in about two weeks with only one day of light rain so, the trip was a great success.

• Like 6

"After lunch, I decide to pay a visit to the factory. Guzzi owners are required to make at least one pilgrimage to the factory during their lifetimes."

Great trip and pics. Thank-you for clearing stating this pilgrimage requirement. I will endeavor to comply...

• Like 1

I would so love to go there, as we all would I am sure. I would feel a bit of a tourist taking the train or hiring a car to arrive and walk up. Better to ship my Sport to The Netherlands, meet up with a few of you fine chaps and ride from there.

Crazy difficult, sure. But isn't that what pilgrimage is made of? :notworthy::mg:

Orson, thanks again for the inspiration!

. . . Mandello Spine Raid? B)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You could write me a note, yah? You are The Chief Whip, after all! :grin:

(BTW, how many hours to ride from NL to Mandelo del Lario?)

• Like 1

You could write me a note, yah? You are The Chief Whip, after all! :grin:

(BTW, how many hours to ride from NL to Mandelo del Lario?)

Two days ride, hotel in South Germany and Mandello included.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk