How do I use the factory stand?

Jazzamoto

Here is how I do it:

Starting from the left with the bike on the sidestand.

1.  Engage both tops of the stand on the porkchop nuts.  Do not tilt the bike, it is still resting safely on its side stand.  This means one wheel from the stand is not on the ground.  You can look over the bike to see both nuts engaged in the stand.  (I am only 5'4", so I am certain everyone else can do it).

2.  With my right hand on the stand lever I put my left hand on the seat and simultaneously push the handle down and the bike vertical.  This get the stand wheels on the ground pretty quickly and the bike is relatively stable.

3.  Then push the handle all the way down and the bike comes up.

I have never even come close to dropping the bike this way. 

Yep!  That's the technique!   :grin:

I've used the factory stand for years using this method and have never scratched the bike nor had any issues.  Once you get the technique down, it is very easy to roll the stand under the bike, align the bolts/slots, stand the bike up, hold the front brake and push the handle down in one smooth motion..... and up it goes.  And it is very stable once up.

It's not really that different than figuring out how to properly use a center stand on a big heavy bike.  I nearly killed myself until someone showed me how to stand my FJ1200 up on its center.

Although it looks scary, is actually is a really nice design.

The only part that doesn't really work well is the goofy "spool" for the front support.  THAT I don't trust, nor use  :bbblll:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

There s a spot under the engine oil pan that accepts it. It will hold the bike up in the air to be able to service the front end. Someone will have to push down on the rear so the front will tilt up to accept the spool.

I never would have thought that circular prominence might be for the support spool, what with it being a bit off center.  I had always assumed that housed a recess inside the pan for the oil pick up (?) :huh2:

Just a reminder, with the spool in place the bike should be chocked from rolling as the spool tips easily and the bike is on its nose. :o

Maybe you should consider investing in a small platform jack. You can lift the front while the rear is on a stand - and many other uses. I just pulled the engine out with my platform jack (to replace the clutch).