Cheap internal fuel pump tank

brlawson

Maybe you could find an internal fuel pump, re-route your fuel lines, and remove the pump and filter from the frame. If not, you'll need to drill into the tank for a petcock and a pressure regulator. When you have them side by side, you'll know what to do.

The fuel doors are the same - so no worries there.

The whole idea for getting one in my case was to get rid of all the external plumbing and seal the inside so I don't have use to pure gas apps or worry about getting it started after a hot stop. I was also able to find a complete used fuel pump assembly from Teo Lamers for cheap.

Also, I had read in another thread that a small notch in the frame may be required.

Harpers list all the parts but I'm sure you can pick up a used unit from a parts bike just be sure to replace the plastic filter with an all metal one.

Browsing the forums most owners seem to be wanting to go the other way from internal to external, not sure why as with everything internal the 

hoses must be much simpler. 

Most cars have an internal pump, perhaps a visit to your local auto wrecker.

Czakky- Bill, you might also check the part numbers from Aprilia and Ducati to see if their EFI fuel pumps are the same or compatible.  That will expand the number of used units possibly available.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Jerry

Good point JRD.

I guess I'm looking for the whole asssmbly including the plate that everything attaches too.

@Docc, there was an assembly on eBay for a v11 Cali (used) and the name brand was Biruni (?) or something. Anyway it sold but it looked very similar to the v11 internal part so I was just curious.

• 5 months later...

I have fitted a 2002+ tank on my 2001, fits better than the original one. I had it lined to prevent bloating and melting from crappy ethanol gas. Was pretty easy to convert to internal pump etc. The fuel hoses are a little tricky to route but it worked out great. I used Goodridge metal quick disconnects in the hoses so that I wouldn't have to fuss with the plastic ones, which scare me because they seem so easy to break. The wires for the electric petcock were freed up, and I am using them as a switched power source for a handle bar mounted USB plug to charge my phone.

The wires for the electric petcock were freed up, and I am using them as a switched power source for a handle bar mounted USB plug to charge my phone.

Wot?!? No Go_Winkie ?!? :o

• Like 1