Sooty plugs...

rich888

Recently acquired 2001 V11 Sport.

Just looking her over and found that the plugs look a bit sooty.

There is a Power Commander III fitted.

I was thinking of taking the PC off as I'd rather have the bike stock. I assume the stock ecu will just work without the PC inline and won't need re-programming?

I am thinking that it's over fueling and hence the sooty plugs.

Idle is a little uneven too.

guzzi plugs.jpg

Yes ditch the PC ASAP.  it's possible to tune perfectly without any add on tricks.. get Guzzidiag and learn to use it.. or just try running first  w/o the PC.

• Like 3

Yes ditch the PC ASAP.  it's possible to tune perfectly without any add on tricks.. get Guzzidiag and learn to use it.. or just try running first  w/o the PC.

I don't disagree with this. It should be noted that the bike can also be tuned to a very good state using the PC. Mine has been, and has functioned flawlessly and untouched for the last 6 - 7 years. I wouldn't add it now I'm more familiar with tuning, but I won't remove it while it runs this great. The bike also has intake and crossover mods (and now cans) and was dyno'd at Erico in Denver.

^^^^ Like Footgoose says.. the Mighty Scura was dyno tuned with a PC *many* years ago. It runs bitchin. I'll just leave it alone.

OK, some differing views there, but the state of the plugs didn't inspire me with confidence!

I'll see how she runs with new plugs, gapped to 0.7mm instead of 0.9mm, which is what they are at the moment...

I will have a look at the air filter too.

If I get the PC software and download the map that's in there, I guess someone here will be able to tell me what state of tune it's in?

All of the parameters of the basic state of tune must be correct regardless of whether you use a PC or not.

Here is a good starting point, without the PC, that requires a quality voltmeter, an intake balancing tool, guzzidiag software, and two or three cables (but no dyno sessions); Decent Tune-up:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19610

You can then add the PC if that's what trips your trigger.

All of the parameters of the basic state of tune must be correct regardless of whether you use a PC or not.

Here is a good starting point, without the PC, that requires a quality voltmeter, an intake balancing tool, guzzidiag software, and two or three cables (but no dyno sessions); Decent Tune-up:

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19610

You can then add the PC if that's what trips your trigger.

Thanks, I will track down an intake balance tool, I have the other bits!

• Like 1