Spilled gas all over my chin pad! Hmmm...what about that “Chin Pad”?

Kane

Filling up today I spilled a bunch of gas all over the rubber or neoprene or what ever it’s made of tank “chin pad”. I never really thought about the chin pad much. It just seems like a black stripe down the tank and I can’t see how it serves any purpose except maybe giving a tank bag more grip. Kind of a weird thing to put on a tank. Am I missing something?

I can’t see MG putting something at the gas filling area that would be harmed by gas, but will the gas getting on or soaked into the pad hurt it or cause it to deteriorate? Looking at this chin pad it looks like something that would fade and crack over the years like a bad Volvo dashboard, especially while being rode around in the blazing southern California sun. In addition to treating the effects of gas spills on the chin pad, are there things to do to keep to chin pad in good condition?

Cheers, and Chin Up, Mates!

The chin-pad is a vestigial structure that harkens back to the design inspiration for the V11 Sport, the 1949-51 Guzzi race bikes (Gambalunghino). In those days, the racers would "chin the tank" to get out of the wind for those few extra mph . . .

Oskar-Schindler-The-Vintagent-1928-Moto-

My chin-pad is still in pretty decent shape after all this time. Not sure how to "restore" or maintain it (?):huh2:

• Like 1

Dang! I’ll have to remove the rear cowling so as to slide my ass back enough to reap the benefits. Those barn door and dirt track dudes were bad ass.

Are those single cylinder engines? Sorry, I guess I  don’t know my Guzzi’s deep lineage. 

12 hours ago, Kane said:

Are those single cylinder engines? Sorry, I guess I  don’t know my Guzzi’s deep lineage. 

Yah, probably 500cc. Moto Guzzi made those from 1921 through the '70s!

Left side has an exposed flywheel giving them the moniker "bacon slicer," a term I frankly find rather unbecoming. But not as disparaging as "pork chops" :bbblll:, which I find just ugly for our magnificent, even voluptuous, V11 Frame Side Plates.:wub:

moto-guzzi-falcone-left-1545318364335@2x

• Like 3

On 11/16/2019 at 4:46 PM, Kane said:

Filling up today I spilled a bunch of gas all over the rubber or neoprene or what ever it’s made of tank “chin pad”. I never really thought about the chin pad much. It just seems like a black stripe down the tank and I can’t see how it serves any purpose except maybe giving a tank bag more grip. Kind of a weird thing to put on a tank. Am I missing something?

I can’t see MG putting something at the gas filling area that would be harmed by gas, but will the gas getting on or soaked into the pad hurt it or cause it to deteriorate? Looking at this chin pad it looks like something that would fade and crack over the years like a bad Volvo dashboard, especially while being rode around in the blazing southern California sun. In addition to treating the effects of gas spills on the chin pad, are there things to do to keep to chin pad in good condition?

Cheers, and Chin Up, Mates!

That pad will be fine. I thought the same. I discovered they can pop off if you need to clean under it. 

• Thanks 1