Jump to content
IGNORED

Hi Cam - Temporary Fuel Tank Do I need a Pressure Regulator?


Recommended Posts

I've got an oil leak on a HiCam but where I've got no clue

The easiest way to find it (& It's a good idea anyway for temporary use when testing) is to make a temporary tank/vessel to use a temporay feed. Ths would allow me max access to the engine and possibly see where the leak might be

However being an injected bike I'll need to have a line into the temp tank for the return line

So could I just run the line on the return into the temporary tank or do I need to rig up some sort of regulator to back pressure the system? I'm thinking I'll probably need something and wondering what I could rig up.

Is there such a thing as in-line regualtor, I'm guessing they as simple spring and diaphragm devices but don't know.

John

Link to post
Share on other sites

No not on the HiCam @docc that engine has an external fuel pump (located at the head of the frame)

In tank pumps were later

Oh may have found the leak anyway, a PO had installed 2/3rd of the left rocker cover gasket, he decided to save weight an leave 1/3rd out, that looked like where the leak was eminating from but not 100%, I'll only find out when I re-run it.

I'd still like to have a method of using a temp tank, as it's a handy tool to have

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How about set up your temp tan to the pump and connect a longer return line back to the regulator on the main tank nearby?  The fuel dosn't have to return to the same tank unless you're going somewhere . . .

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's an idea I do have 2x5 litre empty (a long time ago) beer cans.

I'd need to do a little math though on what the rate is, I'm assuming the return is more that the bike drinks by some way so if it's returning a lot, running time could be limited, I could connect the tanks together using a line to balance them

I'm assuming that the tank regulator back pressures the system and reduce the flow.

I don't have a curve for the Bosch OEM on the bike, but a replacment Pierburg (IF it's characteristics are similar) is flowing about 100-110 litres per hour at 3 bar. With no regulator it would be higher with just the system components and hoses offering resistance...................I think!!!!

That's partly why I'm asking the question, it wouldn't allow you much running time even regulated if you only had 5 litres to play with and no return. Saying that a Chinese Bay of Fleas regulator is pretty cheap and would be fine for just a test rig to run

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Weegie said:

Yeah it's an idea I do have 2x5 litre empty (a long time ago) beer cans.

I'd need to do a little math though on what the rate is, I'm assuming the return is more that the bike drinks by some way so if it's returning a lot, running time could be limited, I could connect the tanks together using a line to balance them

I'm assuming that the tank regulator back pressures the system and reduce the flow.

I don't have a curve for the Bosch OEM on the bike, but a replacment Pierburg (IF it's characteristics are similar) is flowing about 100-110 litres per hour at 3 bar. With no regulator it would be higher with just the system components and hoses offering resistance...................I think!!!!

That's partly why I'm asking the question, it wouldn't allow you much running time even regulated if you only had 5 litres to play with and no return. Saying that a Chinese Bay of Fleas regulator is pretty cheap and would be fine for just a test rig to run

You can dump the return anywhere you like but you must use the the regulator. The pump output is above reg pressure and the reg controls the line pressure. Whats the oil leak like John? Big, weep, dripping?

Ciao

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok thanks Phil that's really what I thought. Cheap reg to run with it about £20-30, plan to use 2 tanks I think (the beer cans) with a line between them to hold level, so not too bad

It was just a drip about every 30 seconds or so wouldn't have affected the running but made a mess inside the Oz fairing, after a while. Pretty sure it was that rocker gasket that was missing, nothing above it and there were tell tales drips on the rocket cap screws at the lowest point. Everything else was clean(ish). Had a spare so it's now on and ready to try again

Nothing to worry about, Oh I'll add a video to the Gross Stupidity Thread later today as I got some video and data.

Thanks for chiming in both you and docc's input appreciated

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Weegie said:

Ok thanks Phil that's really what I thought. Cheap reg to run with it about £20-30, plan to use 2 tanks I think (the beer cans) with a line between them to hold level, so not too bad

It was just a drip about every 30 seconds or so wouldn't have affected the running but made a mess inside the Oz fairing, after a while. Pretty sure it was that rocker gasket that was missing, nothing above it and there were tell tales drips on the rocket cap screws at the lowest point. Everything else was clean(ish). Had a spare so it's now on and ready to try again

Nothing to worry about, Oh I'll add a video to the Gross Stupidity Thread later today as I got some video and data.

Thanks for chiming in both you and docc's input appreciated

Look at my thread on "porosity" John. The 2 fwd and aft side rocker cover screws are inside the cover oring line and so subject to oil in the head and can the supposed blind holes can sometimes be over drilled from the factory so oil migrates down the threads and finds its way out to the external surface. The cam carrier assemblies on the heads are also prone to porosity and they weep there as well. 

Ciao

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky Phil said:

Look at my thread on "porosity" John. The 2 fwd and aft side rocker cover screws are inside the cover oring line and so subject to oil in the head and can the supposed blind holes can sometimes be over drilled from the factory so oil migrates down the threads and finds its way out to the external surface. The cam carrier assemblies on the heads are also prone to porosity and they weep there as well. 

Ciao

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...