Gasket sealants

nobleswood

35 minutes ago, gstallons said:

BTW , there was no part # on the container . If it (Hylomar) is used on aircraft engines , I think it is good enough for me . 

If I am correct Lycoming uses this and silk string to seal engine cases and other parts in place of a gasket .

The Airframe&Powerplant mechanic, neighbor, taught me the thread trick to seal (the notorious) VW vertically split crankcase (which is very similar to the Lycoming and Continental piston engines). Makes me ponder resorting to this on the V11 shift plate . . .

• Like 1

The best thing about this stuff , it never hardens . 

Also, anaerobic gasket makers are great too . They leave a "plastic" film on the parts and you have to remove when you disassemble .

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

BTW , there was no part # on the container . If it (Hylomar) is used on aircraft engines , I think it is good enough for me . 

If I am correct Lycoming uses this and silk string to seal engine cases and other parts in place of a gasket .

This is true but as a retired aircraft engineer of 42 years you need to bare a few things in mind. The piston engine technology you're referring to is around 75 years old or more and materials evolve. Also old aircraft practices/technology tends to not evolve much as the process of re certification is so onerous, so outdated practices hang around not because they are necessarily superior in some way but because they are a "known" and "approved" practice. I've been using and still use Hylomar or "Rolls Royce" compound as we also called it for as long as I can remember but there are modern sealants better suited and superior for motorcycle engines these days.

Ciao   

• Like 4

10 hours ago, docc said:

You have a preferred selection, @Lucky Phil?

ThreeBond 1104 neo and 1215, Hylomar, Permatex thread sealant, Ford TA-30 and Permatex Ultrablack. But if you want the best I've ever used this is it, dries clear as well so it's invisible. Used it many many times for vertically split Ducati crankcase halves and engine covers. Omnivisc 1002 is also excellent. The 1050 is it's successor. 

https://www.scooter-center.com/en/liquid-gasket-loctite-omnivisc-1050-90g-3600017

You can obviously buy it from other sources as well. Number 1 thing after an immaculately clean surface ( I use MEK to clean down the joint before applying sealant) is to let it cure for whatever the manufacturer recommends, usually 24 hours before subjecting it to oil or running. If you want sealants that can be used immediately they are available but the amount of really labour intensive jobs I've seen botched from not allowing curing is staggering.

Ciao  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4