The non-start issue

belfastguzzi

Seems I'm not the only one suffering problems with the bike not starting, for no apparent reason. It can occur during a long run when bike is hot and battery is well charged, just as it can happen when bike has been sitting cold.

A post from Wild may have the solution. I'll certainly be trying it. I had thought about doubling up the wiring to the starter as a possible fix: this post from Mike Haven will make it easier and gives a plausible cause of the serious, disabling problem.

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=36793.msg553740#msg553740

• 1 year later...

I just got the same problem as you. Come back from a ride and everything is fine and then it won't start. The fuel pump prims and battery is fully charge but when I push the starter switch I only heard a click noise and nothing, the starter motor won't even turn over.

Does your engine even cranks? or just won't start?

No the engine does not turn at all with the problem that I and others have experienced.

Push the button and nothing at all happens.

The solution seems to be to add a more direct wire, as explained on other forums.

Although I still intend to :luigi:

I have not actually done this yet <_>

No the engine does not turn at all with the problem that I and others have experienced.

Push the button and nothing at all happens.

The solution seems to be to add a more direct wire, as explained on other forums.

Although I still intend to :luigi:

I have not actually done this yet <_>

Well, after four days my bike decides to come back from the dead and started yesterday even though I did nothing to the bike. I saw the post on the re wiring but still not sure how to do it yet. Some suggest its the solenoid and I'm sure it have something to do with the none start issue. I like to clean the contact on the solenoid if I can just locate the sucker and its no where to be found under the seat.

• 2 months later...

GuzziYang did you resolve this?

Which solenoid were you looking for ,The starter?If so it's attached to the starter body.I was having similar symptoms and cleaning the muck on the plunger(thick black powder,probably from clutch plates), cured it.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Miss this thread for a while, my starting gremlins has gone away for now but upgrading to a better flow wires is always a good idea. I got a new battery and I also clean the solenoid contact, the only thing I noticed off was a vary loose neutral switch contact under that starter motor. Not sure if poor contact there would not allow the bike to start but my bike basically decides to take a 4 day vacation before it deciedes to come back for no apparant reason.

Chuck,

Thanks for the link and that wire kit will be in my bike by Christmass :)

Just got a GPR 2-1 mid-pipe kid and let you know how that works, if anything it seem to take off 30 pounds off compare to stock

Frank

Would agree with Chuck and trust an upgrade by Mike at MPH.Also found these on Ebay,lotta good info and pics in the ad,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150427473840?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_4266wt_1156

• 1 month later...

Just letting you guys know that I have purchased and installed the heavy duty wiring kit by Motolectric http://www.motolectric.com/hicap.all.html

The wiring are super thick compare to stock and the copper ends are a nice touch. I have to send the first set of wire back as it was 4" too long, both negative and positive and Michael promptly recut the match my stock wires that I also mail to him. Its vary hard to bend the new wires to the right angle to connect to battery terminal so proper length is critcal.

Installation is straight forward but I have to admit it did not make my bike start any faster, my bike never start on first click always the third or forth from cold and the wiring kit did not improved on that but if it help contribute to minimized on the non-start issue, I'm happy with that.

6753962759_ec2ba3097f_z.jpg

6753963115_bbec6bb444_z.jpg