low oil pressure at low revs

vuzzi

A few days ago I drove from work and noticed the oil pressure light came up at the traffic light. After reving up the light went out again. I drove home keeping the revs over 2500 rpm. This morning a instaled a new oil pressure sensor, and for a minute I thought it was solved when I took a ride. However, after some 4 km the engine got hotter and the light came on again at low (

At home I drained the oil and took off the oil sump. I assumed the oil filter or oil filter holder had come loose (I replaced the filter 300 km earlier), but all was well in place.

Anybody any suggestions of what could be the problem? Somewhere else on this forum I read about the oil pressure relief valve, which might be the cause. Any idears on how to check that? And how about the pump?

Cheers

Hello,

Strange problem, the oil relief valve is located in the oil sump, you will need to remove both pieces of the sump to get to it. It screws into the aluminum piece that the oil filter attaches to. The relief valve is really tight and I broke the housing on the last one I removed (it is loctited in, so maybe some heat will make it easier to remove. I think the only way to check it is to apply air to the threaded end, it should hold pressure (not bleeding off pressure).

The oil pump is located behind the timing cover and to get to it, you will need to pull the front cover and the timing chain/sprockets. I have seen wiped out oil pumps but it is usually from alot of metal going through it as the oil is not filtered going to it. Was there any metal in the pan?

The other thing it could be is excessive clearence between the crank and bearings. But if you didn't see any metal in the pan, you most likely could rule this out.

Keep us posted and good luck,

Mike

A few days ago I drove from work and noticed the oil pressure light came up at the traffic light. After reving up the light went out again. I drove home keeping the revs over 2500 rpm. This morning a instaled a new oil pressure sensor, and for a minute I thought it was solved when I took a ride. However, after some 4 km the engine got hotter and the light came on again at low (

At home I drained the oil and took off the oil sump. I assumed the oil filter or oil filter holder had come loose (I replaced the filter 300 km earlier), but all was well in place.

Anybody any suggestions of what could be the problem? Somewhere else on this forum I read about the oil pressure relief valve, which might be the cause. Any idears on how to check that? And how about the pump?

Cheers

Hello,

Strange problem, the oil relief valve is located in the oil sump, you will need to remove both pieces of the sump to get to it. It screws into the aluminum piece that the oil filter attaches to. The relief valve is really tight and I broke the housing on the last one I removed (it is loctited in, so maybe some heat will make it easier to remove. I think the only way to check it is to apply air to the threaded end, it should hold pressure (not bleeding off pressure).

The oil pump is located behind the timing cover and to get to it, you will need to pull the front cover and the timing chain/sprockets. I have seen wiped out oil pumps but it is usually from alot of metal going through it as the oil is not filtered going to it. Was there any metal in the pan?

The other thing it could be is excessive clearence between the crank and bearings. But if you didn't see any metal in the pan, you most likely could rule this out.

Keep us posted and good luck,

Mike

Cheers

I would change the filter again and see what happens.I know it has a bypass if its restricted but its an easy and cheap t/shooting first step.

After that i'd check the oil pressure relief valve.May have not seated correctly the last time it bypassed oil.

Ciao

Wow, never thought of that one!

If that was the case, it would be alot easier and cheaper to repair.

Maybe check the oil pressure with a manual gauge?

Mike

Are you sure that the alternator and oil pressure lamps aren't switched?

Cheers

Since oil pressure is somewhat important, you should gain access to an oil pressure gauge to find out exactly how much pressure the bike has.

I check that, and (unfortunately) they were not switched.

There were no metal pieces in the oil, so for now I'll assume excessive clearance between the crank and bearings is not the case.

I guess I'll have to take a look at the pressure valve.

maybe there is some leak behind the thermostatic valve (to or from the radiator) which could explain pressure loss with warm engine?

Another thing I heard was moist on the clear plastic sleeve where the sensor is attached to the engine block, so I'll have to check that too.

Another spot that could cause low oil pressure is the upper sump gasket, there are oil suction and pressure ports that this gasket seals. There is a oil pressure port going to the front and rear main bearing (front and rear of the engine case), look for a split or blown out gasket. Very possible that one has split in this area. The thermostatic valve I believe opens at a pretty high temperture, so if your light is coming on after a bit of running, I doubt if your leak is there. If you drop both of the sump pieces you will be able to check them out anyway.

Mike

I check that, and (unfortunately) they were not switched.

There were no metal pieces in the oil, so for now I'll assume excessive clearance between the crank and bearings is not the case.

I guess I'll have to take a look at the pressure valve.

maybe there is some leak behind the thermostatic valve (to or from the radiator) which could explain pressure loss with warm engine?

Another thing I heard was moist on the clear plastic sleeve where the sensor is attached to the engine block, so I'll have to check that too.

Cheers

Hi Vuzzi, (and others),

Is is any relief to you to know that my V11 has EXACTLY the same problem?

It happened for the first time on the first day of my two days journey (2 to get there, and 2 to get home..) to Mandello last september. I stopped along the way, rested some two minutes and then... MY OIL LIGHT CAME ON!! Hell, I thougt, what`s happening to me

Didn`t see that one coming!

A quick check of my oil level reveiled that there was no problem there. A little releived (and not carying a spare pressuresensor or any oil at all with me) I decided to just drive and see what happened.

Suprisingly when the revs went up (in my case 2200) the light shut up its nasty message. I even bougt a new sensor at Augustini`s in Mandello, but replaced it when I was home... A litte late perhaps, but I whas confidend nothing serious whas the case.

During the rest of the trip I never handeld my machine any different than before the light went on, nor did I notice any diference in performing. Even better, I even felt it performing, better, stronger! And even a long 170 km/u haul for an hour din`t change that.

And vuzzi likewise, the light only comes up when the engine has reached its normal operating temperature!!

So changing the pressure at home sensor gave that: all was normal again. The light only was on when ignition was on, and directly after cranking is was off, and staid that way.

But, to make this complex: Yesterday I took advantage of the (still!!) nice wheater and treated myself to an afternoon of driving in Muensterland, Germany.

And you`ve probably guessed it: the ligt again came on during idlig, when hot.

Personally I think nothing serious is the matter. Although I`ve dig deep in my thougts to find out what the cause can be.

Didn`t quite made an aducated guess at the moment though.

Since winter-recess is on its way, I`ll have to take a closer look at that moment.

So in short: Vuzzi, whe have got the same issue (and not necceseraly a problem) with the oil-light, but I cannot help you with any information as to where to look to solve the mistery.

And in my humble opinion, its just guzzi-caracter being overdisplayed in terms of an over-enthousiastic oil-light.

Drive well.

Velf2003

Hi

You should take a look to the place where the two tubes to the oil cooler are connected to the oil pan.

Inside the oil pan two tubes coming from the thermostat are sealed by an Oring to the oil pan. These orings must have a tight fit in the bore of the pan - otherwise the oil pressure gets lost when the thermostat opens the oil cooler circuit.

You must remove the lower oil pan to get access to the tubes and the thermostat.

I yesterday removed the oil sump (again) and took off the the oil filter holder. I was hoping to find a broken gasket but all was fine. Dissembled the OPRV hoping to find something that kept the valve open, but all was clean. I had no means to test it so but it back together. Next I replaced the 4 o-rings to the oil cooler. they seemed a bit flat, and the new ones seemed to be more tight. I was hooping this would solve the problem.

Since right now I couldn't find anything else, I was about to refit the filter holder. But first gave it a visual 'inspection'. By pure coincidence I noticed a rubber ring between the filter holder and the filter that appeared broken. Took the filter off and there it was: Half of the rubber ring of the old filter was still there, as you can see on the picture. I clearly hadn't checked or noticed it when replacing the old filter two weeks ago.

Put it all together again, now also with recommended hose clamp on the filter. I only haven't tested the pressure jet, cause I still need to get the oil in the engine from a small bowl without making a mesh. But I'm quite sure the problem is found and fixed. If not, I'll let you know... Thanks

oliefilter ring klein.jpg

I yesterday removed the oil sump (again) and took off the the oil filter holder. I was hoping to find a broken gasket but all was fine. Dissembled the OPRV hoping to find something that kept the valve open, but all was clean. I had no means to test it so but it back together. Next I replaced the 4 o-rings to the oil cooler. they seemed a bit flat, and the new ones seemed to be more tight. I was hooping this would solve the problem.

Since right now I couldn't find anything else, I was about to refit the filter holder. But first gave it a visual 'inspection'. By pure coincidence I noticed a rubber ring between the filter holder and the filter that appeared broken. Took the filter off and there it was: Half of the rubber ring of the old filter was still there, as you can see on the picture. I clearly hadn't checked or noticed it when replacing the old filter two weeks ago.

Put it all together again, now also with recommended hose clamp on the filter. I only haven't tested the pressure jet, cause I still need to get the oil in the engine from a small bowl without making a mesh. But I'm quite sure the problem is found and fixed. If not, I'll let you know... Thanks

You are lucky !

duim.gif