Side Stand pivot bolt

czakky

Anybody ever source a pivot/shoulder bolt for the side stand (24mm head 16mm shoulder/pivot 10mm 1.25 thread)? MG doesn't sell them and Harper's wants $24. My $12 bushing washer combo worked as well as another poster: Dlaing's did. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13174&hl=%2Bsidestand+%2Bpivot+%2Bbolt

Tried a hondapriliamahan-am dealer with nothing close.

Mine broke immediately after posting about the great character of the V11. Bike was caught and wrestled onto shop stand both parties are ok.

The only problem with what dlaing did was that it catches the dogbone. So you either have a self retracting stand or a self extending stand.

I didn't catch the clearance issue. I thought it was an assembly thing....

Either way it will be well lubed. Also, the Ford econo... Is real close, but not quite right

if you can source one from harper's for $24 i think that's a good deal (speaking as a machinist) they're kinda special,& they don't seem to be problematic, but i'll be sure to check mine.

the stand arm itself is what i've always wondered about, but it seems to be robust enough.

and i enjoy the rube goldberg look of the dogbone double spring linkage lash-up, & it works. 

czakky , unless you are a machinist and want to make an improved bolt , you should take stephano's advice .

If you want to proceed  , you should make a bushing from steel or stainless steel because a brass bushing would be too soft to ever keep the torque of the bolt.   

$24.00 + frt.. seems (outrageou$) a reasonable price after all.

I didn't mean to sound like I thought it the price was outrageous, Harper's seems like a very fair company. I just wanted to see if anyone had ever sourced one from something else. It was more a matter of waiting for shipping and I figured some other bikes look like they have real similar bolts.

Anyway after messing with the "Rube Goldberg" setup (mine actually includes a hamster wheel that launches a bowling ball to retract the stand... really nifty) seems like you guys, as usual are right. I'm putting in my order to Harper's.

Well $24.00 is a Dept. of Defense price for this part......like most all motorcycle parts.  I remember in the early 80s MXA magazine price out a CR250 dirt bike in individual parts... a $1800 bike was about $5000 parted out.

I'm not sure if this is obvious or not, to me it wasn't. But just so somebody else can avoid potential disaster I thought I'd share.

The pivot bolt bolt on the sidestand (the one that actually goes through the stand) is actually threaded into the plate that is bolted onto the lower sump case. Behind those threads is a teflon locking nut. In order for the pivot bolt to work correctly it has to be tight into the plate then the locking nut can be tightened. My stand was a little loose and the bike leaned a little far over, nothing crazy just a little more then say a non-Harley. It was like that from the day I got it 4k miles ago, and I'm sure I tightened that nut and pivot bolt figuring that it was just designed that way. Eventually the threads wore through from pivoting on them and low and behold I was almost under my bike, (or as I call her the chubby mistress) I prefer to be on top in this situation.

Not sure if I've beat a dead horse but it only takes a quick second to check and while I'm waiting on a backordered part thought I'd heed warning to some of the other non V11 veterans out there.

czakky, thx for the heads up on this.   it seems like i'm constantly oiling the dogbone & the pivot bolt. always looks like they needs it. and chubby mistress's can be lotsa fun......oh...

gstallons, i remember paying $799. for my 1st new MX bike, a '75 KX250,  of course first thing you did was aftermarket shocks, fork kit, boyson reeds, yada, yada.....

So, I love this forum. :wub:

You guys are forever making me go back over my Sport. Regarding the side stand as some sort of Rube Goldberg device is brilliant.

First, I think the pivot bolt would be really hard to replicate or fabricate:

DSCN1015.JPG

And, after a careful cleaning and inspection, I see I have busted yet another (number three) of this side stand "lever:"

DSCN1016.JPG

Thanks to this thread I realize now that my bike is missing the nut behind the pivot bolt. First thing I did when I bought her was to replace the side stand which was bent so much that the bike was scary to leave parked anywhere and not on a paddock stand. Somehow the PO found this to be acceptable :-/

To my chagrin the new sidestand seems to be slowly bending as well. Probably because without the nut the pivot bolt starts to get loose and the sidestand gets some play in it. So thank you for bringing this up! The lesson seems to be, sometimes it is very necessary to beat dead horses...

And, after a careful cleaning and inspection, I see I have busted yet another (number three) of this side stand "lever:"

attachicon.gifDSCN1016.JPG

How do you manage that, docc?

new meaning to Leadfoot

Thanks to this thread I realize now that my bike is missing the nut behind the pivot bolt..

There isn't much thread on that plate, lucky it's held up at all.