G&B / Quat-D Exhaust Info

al_roethlisberger

Well, I guess I wrote the Quat-D guys a while back(so long ago, that I forgot :huh2: ), asking about their exhaust, and they JUST got back to me :rolleyes:

That's right, from back in JUNE.... 6 months ago :blink:

Well, anyway, I still appreciate their replying, and following is their comments regarding a single vs. dual-outlet version, and prior issues with cracked welds.

:D

Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:43:11 +0100

Hi Al,

thanks for the interest to our products,

We don't consider the dual outle version because the tests and the

graphics

of power and torque are better with one only outlet.

For the problem of cracking, in effect the first series had this

problem but

we have improoved the 2nd series by using the new header pipes that are

connected to the muffler with coils.

There are not problems anymore, but remind that our products are

guaranteed

2 years.

yours

Manuel De Liso

-----Messaggio originale-----

Da: Al Roethlisberger [mailto:al_roethlisberger@yahoo.com]

Inviato: mercoledì 23 giugno 2004 21.40

A: quatd@quatd.com

Oggetto: Quat-D Exhaust for Moto Guzzi V11 Sport/LeMans

Hi,

Many V11 Sport/LeMans owners are interested in your

product:

http://www.quat-d.com/prodotto.php?pcode=1...Id=89&curr_id=1

However, some would prefer a dual outlet version, and

wondered if you had considered offering another model

with dual outlets instead fo the single outlet your

current version is.

Also, some of our Forum(www.v11lemans.com) members

have owned the original Quat-D muffer before, but they

experienced cracking of the welds where the input

pipes attached.  So, several people were wondering if

the current version might have improved and

strengthened welds?

If you can let me know the answer regarding both

questions, I'll pass them on to the forum, where many

are interested in your exhaust!  =)

Thanks!

al

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... left hand side on the original model:

post-2-1072654892.jpg

BTW, they usually aren't this polished, nor have the red high-lighted "QD" on them. These are similar(if not the same) as what Ghezzi & Brian use on some of their models.

But the new/improved model they reference in their email above seems to have the outlet relocated on the right according to the photos at:

http://www.quat-d.com/prodotto.php?pcode=1...Id=89&curr_id=1

:huh2:

I'm personally not a fan, but several people had inquired about a dual outlet option, and there had been some examples of welds cracking by forum members using the unit.... hence my inquiry with the manufacturer.

al

the sound? sounds like almost 20 pounds off the stock cans.

38434[/snapback]

I'd actually be curious to know how the weight of the Quat-D system compares to other aftermarket cans, like a pair of slip-on Leo Vince/Mistral/FBF etc cans :huh2:

I wonder because these examples all probably save 15-ish pounds alone as well, and I bet the big metal box of the Quat-D isn't light as a feather.

I suspect(although I could be wrong) as a system, a good pair lightweight aftermarket cans offers about the same weight savings of the Quat-D system.

If correct, I'd say that perhaps along with reducing the width of the bike, the real advantage of the system is then aesthetic(nothing wrong with that BTW), as past dyno posts of the impact of the Quat-D(old model) showed markedly poorer performance than a standard dual can solution, so performance isn't a real advantage either :huh2:

Maybe someone with a Quat-D can weigh theirs sometime and post it?

I know my Ti Leo Vince cans are light as air.... and... *thinking*.... probably about as fragile if I ever bang them on anything :rolleyes:

:lol:

:unsure:

al

the g&b exhaust (so the quad-t) as g&b is the official retailer of quad-t weight less than one oem can :luigi:

So to me it is just equal than aftermarket cans

Mine breaks 2 times and is actually in 2 parts for internal modification to deal with the 1225 4v engine (must be a real 2 in 1 in 2) .

I'd actually be curious to know how the weight of the Quat-D system compares to other aftermarket cans, like a pair of slip-on Leo Vince/Mistral/FBF etc cans  :huh2:

I wonder because these examples all probably save 15-ish pounds alone as well, and I bet the big metal box of the Quat-D isn't light as a feather.

I suspect(although I could be wrong) as a system, a good pair lightweight aftermarket cans offers about the same weight savings of the Quat-D system.

al

38437[/snapback]

Hi Al,

I received this info from Ghezzi & Brian regarding the Quat-D exhaust system. I must say, that I like the looks of the GB system, but I'll always prefer function over form, if you know what I mean. There's no real reason to add a system that doesn't improve neither torque nor power as someone previously stated in another thread. On the other hand if both Paul Minnaert and the Dynotec chaps use the system on their Daytonas it should be possible to squeeze some additional ponies out of the old slagger :lol:

I'm standing in the middle of the stream: Should I go for the Quat-D or the Mistrals with Stucchi X-over? I'm well aware that both systems require a PC III and a pair of KN filters. The Quat system will set you back 640 Euros, I assume that the Mistrals and X-over will be slightly more expensive (but I want some ponies, geddit?) :grin:

Regards Søren

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CENTRAL EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR MOTO GUZZI 1100

SPORT, DAYTONA, CENTAURO

To be mounted under the gear, equipped with conical collectors and

frame holder.

POWER:: increase of 3.9 CV compared to the original (equally

distributed on the whole using scale)

TORQUE: increase of 0,32 KGM compared to the original.

WEIGHT: whole plant KG 7,2 reduction of 11,8 KG compared to the

original.

DYNAMIC CHARACTERISTICS: The weight reduction combined

to the mass approaching to the barycentre improves the bend insertion

and the agility in the "flip-flop" considerably.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the sound? sounds like almost 20 pounds off the stock cans.

38434[/snapback]

Hmm, sounds like the system is as noisy as a controlled fart at a family reunion? :D

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely not a big fan of 2" slash cut straight pipes as the Harley people seem to love so much. To me there's a distinction between sound and noise and there's absolutely no reason to go down the street with a 110 db exhaust system that will draw every police officer's attention from miles away. What I prefer is the deep gutural roarrrrr......... :race:

Søren

I'm standing in the middle of the stream: Should I go for the Quat-D or the Mistrals with Stucchi X-over? I'm well aware that both systems require a PC III and a pair of KN filters. The Quat system will set you back 640 Euros, I assume that the Mistrals and X-over will be slightly more expensive (but I want some ponies, geddit?)  :grin:

Regards Søren

38488[/snapback]

No, it won't require you to get a PCIII. I have K&N's/Stucchi/Mistrals, and I don't have PCIII. The bike runs just fine. Yes, it could probably be improved a bit more with an accessory brain, but they run ok without. One of these days I'd like to do the experiment.

The QuatD is pretty loud- I saw a guy with one at the Minnesota rally this summer. It's loud- just a little moreso than the Mistrals, but not by much. The sound was more 'raspy' though. Not as pleasant to the ears.

J

No, it won't require you to get a PCIII.  I have K&N's/Stucchi/Mistrals, and I don't have PCIII.  The bike runs just fine.  Yes, it could probably be improved a bit more with an accessory brain, but they run ok without.  One of these days I'd like to do the experiment.

The QuatD is pretty loud- I saw a guy with one at the Minnesota rally this summer.  It's loud- just a little moreso than the Mistrals, but not by much.  The sound was more 'raspy' though.  Not as pleasant to the ears.

J

38496[/snapback]

Thanks Jason, nothing beats experience! :thumbsup:

I'm really in favour of other people's riding experiences rather than a written statement from the manufactorer - paper is grateful, unfortunately. :rolleyes:

Another alternative (cheap one, though) could be the standard Lafranconis (Scura) with a pair of KN filters and, maybe, a PC III?

I'm a bit puzzled about the PC III. Is it the Eight Wonder of the World or is it just another gadget that has been succesfully launched by the manufactorer? If it's so bloody brilliant why isn't it standard equipment on all motorcycles throughout the world?

Am I just and old fart who doesn't understand the latest trends and should be left barefooted and naked in my cave? (you don't have to respond to the latter, thank you! :lol: )

Regards Søren

I'm a bit puzzled about the PC III. Is it the Eight Wonder of the World or is it just another gadget that has been succesfully launched by the manufactorer? If it's so bloody brilliant why isn't it standard equipment on all motorcycles throughout the world?

38519[/snapback]

I'm not so certain that the PCIII is necessarily better than a number of factory ECUs out there, but it gives the owner the ability to easily modify the EFI map, which in many cases is not available to the average owner without much more expensive equipment and hardware... that even some dealers do not have on hand.

Also, since there is a wide network(in North America anyway) of Power Commander certified Dyno Centers, getting a custom EFI map made to accomodate aftermarket changes to the intake/exhaust system, is just a ride down the street and a couple hundred $$ away.

I think that's the real advantage the PCIII offers to most owners.

As I've noted several times in other threads, if one has access to a shop/guru that has the equipment and expertise to modify the map on an OEM ECU for a reasonable amount of $$..... and you don't plan to modify the map again frequently.... then you probably don't need a PCIII to get your bike's EFI system dialed-in.

However, in the case of the Guzzi Marelli 15M ECU, there isn't a lot of expertise/equipment out there mapping the 15M .... specifically in North America, even on the West Coast where there are a lot of Ducati shops.

But we have TONS of Power Commander shops.

So in this case, it's a matter of convenience/availability.

I know that in some areas of Europe, specifically Germany and The Netherlands, there seems to be more available expertise around optimizing the stock ECU for the Guzzi. So in that case, it might make less sense for the average owner to invest in a PCIII :huh2:

But again, here in the USA, the PCIII is really the only option for Guzzi EFI bikes and their owners who need to tweak the mapping, and have the convenience of shops nationwide that can do so.

al

Hi Al,

Thanks for helping the blind to see.

Motorcycle riders here in Denmark are all frenzy about PC III; if you haven't got one you may as well apply for the leading role in the next Jurassic Park movie (version IV, V??) D

I do know that my Scura will never outpower any Japanese 600 cc bike but I'm still seeking a bit more grunt as well as horsepower. The easiest way (and cheapest, too) is to go on a slim-fast diet or follow the Atkins programme for the next two years :D but with Christmas coming up soon I won't advocate for that.

Heck, I'm confused now, it's close to midnight here in Denmark so I'll sleep on it.

Once again, Al, thanks for elaborating on the topic and sharing your thoughts!

Cheers

Søren

Definitely not Atkins. I like bread too much.

I'm not going to advocate for OR against a PCIII. I haven't used one, so it wouldn't be fair. I have heard from people that own them; they are universally positive comments. Unfortunately, we do not have 'tons' of PC tuning centers here in bumf***k...eh...the middle of Iowa, so I've never gotten around to trying one out.

Either with or without one- my guess is you'd be ok. Just a question of how far you want to tweak it to the bike's 'true' potential.

J

Being a previous owner of a Quat-D Muffler, I miss the sound AND the low end power.

What the dyno does not show is the torque from idle to 3000rpms.

I used to be able to cruise at 2500 rpms where now I have to down shift to get 3000 rpms.

The sound is not as musical as the Mistrals, but the Quat-D made the bike feel alive.

The dB is definitely lower than the Mistrals to the spectator, but to the rider it is louder and feels like it comes from the engine rather than from the rear of the pike like a distant memory...

As for the weight I held it in one hand and the stock can in the other, and found the quat d heavier, but not as heavy as the crossover and one can together.

But keep in mind, the weight is lower and more forward, which is where you want it.

Other advantages are luggage potential, and less likelyhood of damage if you drop the bike.

As for the cracking, I would not be too concerned. My stock crossover cracked, too.

And it sounds like new ones are better.

I am still happier with the Mistral because of the peak power, but peak power is not for everyone.

The Quat D muffler does not create less overall power, it just moves the power down in the rpms.

Below 4500 RPMs it is stronger and in the twisties, there is less shifting.

But if you want to go over 130MPH the Mistrals do it much more easily.