G&B / Quat-D Exhaust Info

al_roethlisberger

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the dyno does not show is the torque from idle to 3000rpms.

I used to be able to cruise at 2500 rpms where now I have to down shift to get 3000 rpms.

The Quat D muffler does not create less overall power, it just moves the power down in the rpms.

Below 4500 RPMs it is stronger and in the twisties, there is less shifting.

But if you want to go over 130MPH the Mistrals do it much more easily.

38546[/snapback]

Jason and Dave,

Thanks for your contributions - I think (??) it's decision time now and with Dave's comments fresh in mind I'll probably head for the Quat-D system.

Speed limits in Denmark are 50/80/110 kmp/h (130 on some parts of the highway) so I think the Quat -D will do the trick as for better torque and power at low end RPM.

I also favour the looks of the Quat over the Mistrals as everybody and his brother is riding with slip-on carbon fibre end cans here in Denmark.

Thanks a bunch - I owe you a :bier:

Regards Søren

aaaahhh that's why i don't have a problem.... my scura never even sees 3000 rpm and a flat spot somewhere around 4000?? No problem! just rev them up!

Apparantly that's what these engine's like you should not drive them below 3700 rpm accoriding to my dealer TLM in :nl:

apparantly that puts more strain on the whole drive system (just ask cali owners!)

Ciao

jasper :mg:

• 2 weeks later...

So if I want to change/upgrade my exhaust system to get that deep burbly noise, what the hell do I go for?

The "funky" Buellesque Quat D or similar?

Guzzi's own Ti cans?

Mistrals?

AND, what happens if I don't replace the ECU ( I know the Guzzi set up comes with one - doesn't it?)? Will I damage my motor by adversely altering the burn characterisitcs or something?

I've followed all sorts of threads about this topic, but still can't find anything definitive!! :(

Bub makes.... well *made* a full system for the Sport1100 that will fit the V11, and it pops up on eBay NOS/used sometimes.

If you do a search of the forum, there is a thread or two with photos and feedback.

But the general consensus is that if ones wants to go deaf, get Bubs. They sound like a NASCAR exhaust, and not in a good way :huh:

al

Sound bytes, please!!!

Without actually hearing the Quat-D's, there is no way to decide.

Where the hell is Bub when we need them?

:mg:

39100[/snapback]

To hear and see this movie of the Quat-D you will need Quicktime:

http://www.scripps.edu/~dlaing/v11s/quatd.mov

For some reason the microphone in my camera picks up on a metallic ringing sound that is not present to my naked ears.

I got my Quat-D from the north american Ghezzi Brian Rep.

Mr Arnold Barnhart

Territory Manager

Geographic Services Inc.

Cyclone Motorcycles

500 Windmere Circle

Corinth, TEXAS 76210

Phone 214-727-0148

Fax 940 497 3148

e-mail: ratdog@airmail.net

He did not take credit cards, but he was great to deal with.

If you order from Europe, you could probably save some money.

In anycase, I would say that a PCIII is a MUST for the Quat-D.

I had HUGE changes in my map.

I can provide the map to anyone who wants it, but a custom dyno run is a must as my TPS reads a little low.

Todd Eagan read my TPS in parking lot. It read 250 mV at idle, but note that I keep my idle at about 1000veglia RPMs and my valves are .15/.20 which will both help in a lower TPS reading at idle.

I am not sure what the reading would be with linkage released and screws out.

Here is the dyno again.

I am pretty positive if they

started the run at 2000 rpms, the Quat-D would show more torque.

Just follow the direction that the blue lines were heading.

DL_V11S-vs-StockV11S.jpg

I have heard a Quat-D and was not impressed  -_-  Very "tin canny" imo.

To fully appreciate the Quat-D you have to ride it.

Yah, it is metallic sounding, kind of like Staintunes in the metallicness of the sound.

The mufflers will not impress an audience, just the rider, who will understand how STUPID it is to point the exhaust behind the rider the way conventional mufflers do.

Pointing the exhaust behind you is for people who want to deafen others but not themselves.

Moving the exhaust closer to the rider is an experience that I won't even bother to describe, kind of like trying to explain great sex to a virgin.

Mufflers behind the rider are kind of like whacking off so loudly the neighbors hear you.

Take your pick.

I'm not so certain that the PCIII is necessarily better than a number of factory ECUs out there, but it gives the owner the ability to easily modify the EFI map, which in many cases is not available to the average owner without much more expensive equipment and hardware... that even some dealers do not have on hand.

OK, well I think what you're saying is that since the stock ECU cannot be replaced by the PCIII, then it is the easiest device in which to modify the fuel map... which is true. Secondly, aside from the rare few "software" centers in the World (i.e. Ultimap, etc.), which are laboriously capable (often one or more days) of re-mapping the stock ECU... Dynojet "Tuning Link" Centers do so under the quick and painless way of computerized (instantaneous) fuel corrections on the dyno (usually less then 30 minutes). It doesn't get much better or easier then that... and I think nearly everyone that has had one done will atest. However, if your bike is one that exactly matches the map/bike mods, you do not necessarily have to have this done. It is always worth a test-check for about $40USD to make sure though... as *EVERY* bike is different, as I've personally witnessed on the dyno.

Additionally, the PCIIIusb allows individual cylinder mapping (the ultimate electronic throttle body sync - so to speak), and an electronic "fuel accellerator pump" option, which is not available on the stock ECU. And yes Al... sometime in the very near future (early '05 - now being tested), a plug-in Timing module will be available for the 5 (ok, 10) people that have modified their motors. ;)

Also, I'll continue to state the fact that a big handful (most of the Top 10) of AMA Pro RoadRace Teams take advantage of the PCIII/Tuning Link mapping at every race.

Now onto the heading of the G&B Quat-D muffler... I heard DLaing's bike with it, and it actually had a decent/unique sound. Not too loud at all, IMO. However, the downside is that it really didn't show any significant gains on the bottom, and lost @10 hp on top, starting at @5k rpms (David posted his graph, and on GuzziTech.com). G&B claimed that the use of their head-pipes were necessary as memory recalls. Just an FYI.

David, when/why did you decide to replace the G&B Quat-D?

My $.02 as always,

ToddGuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech and Dealer

And yes Al... sometime in the very near future (early '05 - now being tested), a plug-in Timing module will be available for the 5 (ok, 10) people that have modified their motors. ;)

David, when/why did you decide to replace the G&B Quat-D?

My $.02 as always,

ToddGuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech and Dealer

39146[/snapback]

Cool, although I've already had my timing curve adjusted in the ECU at TLM to account for my twin-plug setup.

I wonder if it could be further optimized though... and I wonder how good local DynoJet shops are on ignition curve side of things.... may have to give Hare Racing a call and see. hrmmm

From what I recall, David had the earlier model of the Quat-D, and it vibrated itself apart at the welds.

al

Al -

Your comments about the Bub system are true. It's LOUD -- and it does sound like a NASCAR exhaust -- bit I gotta admit, the "Bad Dog" system on my Centauro is fantastic. Massive power gains, aggressive sound -- a LOT of attitude.

Per the Quat-D, I listened to the sound clip and was decidedly underwhelmed -- WAY too tame for my tastes.

At the risk of being labeled a cretin, may I ask the group what the loudest "standard" set of pipes for the bike is?

Also, are you SURE that the Bub Bad Dogs will work on the V11? I thought they only worked with the 4-valve motor.

Thanks. :mg: