G&B / Quat-D Exhaust Info

al_roethlisberger

Now onto the heading of the G&B Quat-D muffler... I heard DLaing's bike with it, and it actually had a decent/unique sound. Not too loud at all, IMO. However, the downside is that it really didn't show any significant gains on the bottom, and lost @10 hp on top, starting at @5k rpms (David posted his graph, and on GuzziTech.com). G&B claimed that the use of their head-pipes were necessary as memory recalls. Just an FYI.

David, when/why did you decide to replace the G&B Quat-D?

My $.02 as always,

ToddGuzziTech.com

Certified PCIII Tech and Dealer

39146[/snapback]

I replaced it because I wanted more peak power.

Heading back from the Arizona rally two years ago, you may recall we were fighting a 30+MPH head wind. I had to fasten my tank bag and pulled over, losing you guys to the stream of traffic.

It put me about 1 minute behind you, but it took me 10 minutes to catch up because I could not get the bike to go over 110MPH into the headwind. Frustrating!!!

I decided then that I needed more peak power.

I am not sure if it was a good decision or not.

The gains at the bottom were more significant than the dyno shows.

I like to putz along in top gear at 50MPH when I commute, and when I had the Quat-D, the engine felt right, but now I have to downshift just to cruise at 50mph to make the engine feel right.

When the muffler cracked at the pipes, it was a bother, but it was not reason enough to give up on it, especially after reinforcing it.

I still really want a similar under gearbox muffler, but a two into two design.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Al -

Your comments about the Bub system are true.  It's LOUD -- and it does sound like a NASCAR exhaust -- bit I gotta admit, the "Bad Dog" system on my Centauro is fantastic.  Massive power gains, aggressive sound -- a LOT of attitude.

Per the Quat-D, I listened to the sound clip and was decidedly underwhelmed -- WAY too tame for my tastes.

At the risk of being labeled a cretin, may I ask the group what the loudest "standard" set of pipes for the bike is? 

Also, are you SURE that the Bub Bad Dogs will work on the V11?  I thought they only worked with the 4-valve motor.

Thanks. :mg:

39160[/snapback]

Yep, I have seen the Bub exhausts on two V11 Sports, one in person(for sale here in San Jose, at Riders Choice Used Bike Warehouse, about a year ago) and the second in a photo on this site.

The build quality was so-so, and the chrome was already starting to flake/rust on the example I saw up close.

The fit was tight, and the right exhaust tip(you can't really call it a silencer/muffler :P ) was rubbing the plastic swingarm trim. But I think this was an adjustment/shim issue, and could be corrected.

I really think that more than anything, it is just a straight/open pipe setup. There may be some small degree of baffling in the "tips", but it can't be much.

Here is a thread or two on the subject:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2930&hl=nascar

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=2352&hl=nascar

From the thread above:

post-5-1080184868.jpg

al

Yep, I have seen the Bub exhausts on two V11 Sports, one in person(for sale here in San Jose, at Riders Choice Used Bike Warehouse, about a year ago) and the second in a photo on this site.

al

39172[/snapback]

Do the Bubs crossover? 2into1into2 or 2into2?

They sure do look better in chrome than flat black!(until the chrome flakes)

Al --

The Bub build quality is, indeed, questionable at best. Had mine ceramic-coated -- improved the look AND quieted them down a bit.

Running Bubs on the V50III (loud, but NICE loud) and a Conti 2 into 1 on the Paso (still the best sounding setup ever).

What I'm looking for is something for the V11 that is quieter at idle than the Bubs yet still gives me a massive "bark" when I get on it.

The Quat-D's -- while putting the mass where it should be -- just don't "do it" for me.

The Bubs don't look right on the V11 -- plus, I've already been down that road.

BTW, the Bubs do have metal baffles, and the sound is -- while loud -- not even near as loud as the ubiquitous Harley straight pipes.

Thanks