Part arrives from Guzzi

someone out there might be interested to hear that the rear axle spacer (a bit of steel tube) that I ordered 16 months ago has now arrived (see moans in other threads over the past year)

could this turn of events be due to the auspicious astrological conditions, as observed by Martin B? (see other thread elsewhere)

it's as likely as any other explanation

RisingMoonSmall.jpg

(for the scientifically-minded, this is the size that the moon used to be – before it started shrinking)

=

P8080004.jpg

(for the pernickety, this is JRT's custom built super-fast spacer, not the oem part)

someone out there might be interested to hear that the rear axle spacer (a bit of steel tube) that I ordered 16 months ago has now arrived (see moans in other threads over the past year)

could this turn of events be due to the auspicious astrological conditions, as observed by Martin B? (see other thread elsewhere)

it's as likely as any other explanation

RisingMoonSmall.jpg

(for the scientifically-minded, this is the size that the moon used to be – before it started shrinking)

=

P8080004.jpg

(for the pernickety, this is JRT's custom built super-fast spacer, not the oem part)

:2c: so did jrt take 16 months for this. :huh2:

FWIW, I had minor crate damage to large front fairing of Norge I bought from MPH in Houston on 2 January.

It arrived last night, astonishing me.

Bear in mind this is for a red Norge, which wasn't even supposed to be here, so no inventory.

OTOH, other parts ordered same time are still MIA, :huh2: but I am thinking it's more than the moon at work here.

'Course, am sure that MPH (who must have 8x10 glossies of the Piaggio leadership doing things they shouldn't have! :D ) had a hand in this beyond the ordinary, but mebbe it's a sign of good things not just to come, but here.

Bill

Guest ratchethack

someone out there might be interested to hear that the rear axle spacer (a bit of steel tube) that I ordered 16 months ago has now arrived (see moans in other threads over the past year). . .

BFG, my Pal with the '04 LM has evidently been afflicted recently with the deadly "Dealer Squash" syndrome from over-torquing the rear axle spindle and has now begun to consume bearings. <_<

I searched the archives and got lost in the discussion on this. Wot's the correct length for the OEM part? Is this the same as wot JRT came up with, or did he go with something different? Jason?

One more thing - Different question but closely related: Is there a +/- spec for the length to follow here on the spacer relative to the bearing register-to-register dimension in the hub?

TIA

Wot's the correct length for the OEM part?

Different question but closely related: Is there a +/- spec for the length to follow here on the spacer relative to the bearing register-to-register dimension in the hub?

The size of the oem part seems to depend on the state of the moon over Italy when the things are being churned out. It's like the tides. If the pull of the moon was stronger, you got a longer spacer. Most wheels were built at the time of high spring tides and they match fine with the long spacer. Those of us who got spacers made when the moon was a bit feeble, find that they are generally 1mm too short.

There is/was consensus that the correct length should be 113mm. Whether any individual hub matches that length exactly, will of course only be found by individual measurement.

Okydoke..what with your kind enquiry and all, I've just gone and measured my new 'piece'. Sure enough, it is 113mm.

I had made a washer from a bit of 1mil galvanised that I had to hand and added it to my short (112mm) spacer when I replaced the wrecked bearing (s). With that fitted, the bearings have held out ok, so I reckon that 113 is the optimal length for a general purpose fit, unless you want an exact, nanometre match to your hub.

That's not shrinking, thats been eaten by a star goat

! You're right ! That put's a different perspective on... well EVERYTHING!

Run for the hills!

BFG, my Pal with the '04 LM has evidently been afflicted recently with the deadly "Dealer Squash" syndrome from over-torquing the rear axle spindle and has now begun to consume bearings. <_>

I searched the archives and got lost in the discussion on this. Wot's the correct length for the OEM part? Is this the same as wot JRT came up with, or did he go with something different? Jason?

One more thing - Different question but closely related: Is there a +/- spec for the length to follow here on the spacer relative to the bearing register-to-register dimension in the hub?

TIA

According to Pete in post #67,

If you want a cure, once and for all, measure ACCURATELY the distance between the two bearing registers in the wheel and have a proper spacer machined from 2.5mm wall tube to that EXACT dimension +0.25mm.

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=5537&st=65

I don't think we ever arrived on a consensus that wheels are made with consistent precision.

But when JRT ran off a few spacers he specified the length to 113.04mm

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=5711&hl=mm

But it may be best to just measure it.

Pete writes in post #80 of http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...=5537&st=79

Measuring the distance doesn't need an expensive micrometer, just use a vernier caliper, then measure the spacer you have and see if it's too short. Any wombat with a crappy old Myford can turn up a wheel spacer in a three jaw chuck in about five minutes, all it takes is a bit of pipe with the right ID. As I said the length doesn't even have to be *exact* as long as its a smidge over the length of the distance between the registers so the inner races aren't clamped.

Sorry, about boring up the thread with technical stuff.

I have no banter or other silly remarks to add to this thread at this time.

I don't think we ever arrived on a consensus that wheels are made with consistent precision.

But when JRT ran off a few spacers he specified the length to 113.04mm

Sorry, about boring up the thread with technical stuff.

As boring and serious mode has been applied, might as well pick a nit. Wheels being made with consistent precision wasn't what I said. It's the spacer length – where I think there was some agreement that 113mm is the size that the factory part is meant to be (rather than 112ish, which some are). Surely that is the important thing? If you've got a part that is the size that it's meant to be, then you're ok. (No need to chuck the factory part over a notional .04mm???) Whereas if you've got one of the parts from a batch that is out of spec (undersized axle spacer, oversized transmission spring boss...) then you'll find it useful to know what the proper factory spec is.

I have no banter or other silly remarks to add to this thread at this time.

The moon must be in the wrong phase. Wait a day or two and try posting again.

PS, have you ever seen the sort of stuff that wombats turn out when they're on a Myford? It's my opinion that Pete seriously overstates their capability.

BFG, my Pal with the '04 LM has evidently been afflicted recently with the deadly "Dealer Squash" syndrome ... and has now begun to consume bearings. <_>

So it's the squash that's bad over there? Here, it's the dealer's coffee that's deadly. Mind you, it still wouldn't drive me to consuming bearings. The metallic taste may provide initial distraction, but it really doesn't help. Tell your friend to try iced buns instead.

As boring and serious mode has been applied, might as well pick a nit. Wheels being made with consistent precision wasn't what I said. It's the spacer length – where I think there was some agreement that 113mm is the size that the factory part is meant to be (rather than 112ish, which some are). Surely that is the important thing?

Yes!

My guess is that the wheels were made precisely enough, but the spacers were not consistently 113mm. My OEM spacer was about 112.5mm.

Your explanation of tides was spot on :bier:

Knowing that you have a 113mm spacer should be good enough.

Improperly seated bearings may be a more threatening variable than the wheel's consistent precision. :huh2:

But the greatest variability known to date seems to be in, as you have suggested, the spacers.

Here is some silly stuff

Crack Found on Governor's Daughter

Imagine that!

Something Went Wrong in Jet Crash, Expert Says

No, really?

Police Begin Campaign to Run Down Jaywalkers

Now that's taking things a bit far!

Is There a Ring of Debris around Uranus?

Whaaat?? People…TP…USE IT!

Panda Mating Fails; Veterinarian Takes Over

What a guy!

Miners Refuse to Work after Death

Good-for-nothin' lazy so-and-sos!

Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant

See if that works any better than a fair trial!

War Dims Hope for Peace

I can see where it might have that effect!

If Strike Isn't Settled Quickly, It May Last Awhile

You think?!

Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures

Who would have thought!

Enfield ( London ) Couple Slain; Police Suspect Homicide

They may be on to something!

Red Tape Holds Up New Bridges

You mean there's something stronger than duct tape?

Man Struck By Lightning:Faces Battery Charge

He probably IS the battery charge

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group

Weren't they fat enough?!

Astronaut Takes Blame for Gas in Spacecraft

That's what he gets for eating those beans!

Kids Make Nutritious Snacks

Taste like chicken?

Local High School Dropouts Cut in Half

Chainsaw Massacre all over again!

Hospitals are Sued by 7 Foot Doctors

Boy, are they tall!

And the winner is....

Typhoon Rips Through Cemetery; Hundreds Dead

Did I read that right?

--unknown

Improperly seated bearings may be a more threatening variable than the wheel's consistent precision.

Seems like that sentence ought to have

"Discuss"

after it.

It deserves a 1500 word essay.

(Is there still such a thing as an essay these days?)

There just ain't no spellin, punctuation! or grammar!!

So everyone gets 100%.

Which is good!!!

Apparently.

Discuss