Some days make you feel real good!

pete roper

Today was one for me.

First I polished off he engine prep for an old V7 Sport imported from the USA, then I put back together a Mk II LeMans I'd sold but which turned up a few problems for the new owner as a warranty job, (None of which would interest you pack of philistines :P ) but then at mid-day a Rosso Manello lobbed in. This is owned by an old customer who used to have a Mk V Lemans but traded up to the V11.

Thinking he'd do the right thing he did the oilsand then took it to Sydney's newest Guzzi dealer. for a 'Tune Up'. He reckons they made it run 30% worse so he had a go using his not inadequate knowledge but ended up feeling he was out of his depth so he sent it to me.

What a munter!!!! It hardly ran! I won't list the f@ck-ups inflicted upon it but even I, an FI *newbie* was able to get it to run pretty damn well in about 2 hours and I did it mainly by *feel*.Yes, I set it up with the Axone to the 'Factory' specs but mates! A bit more fiddling and a few minutes with a Twinmax and it's a different machine.

As I say. I'm not a bloody genius, I can't see through metal or wave a magic wand, but there were so many things so *wrong* it wasn't funny! What really worries me is if some *Mechanic* can stuff-up something as simple as a V11 as badly as this how many other poorly running, if not downright UNSAFE machines are there out on the road??????

Perhaps the governments of the world are right! Perhaps we should all be forced to drive and ride at no more than 60MPH/100KPH. If the people who are maintaining the vehicles ar so bloody clueless maybe it really IS in our own best interests!

Tomorrow I'll tip in a bit more time and take it on a LONG test run, (Poor me! :grin: ) through some traffic and hot stuff and have a bit more of a fiddle but it's currently pretty nice. Some days it's a real bastard being a Guzzi mechanic :mg::mg::mg::bbblll:

Pete

As I say. I'm not a bloody genius, I can't see through metal or wave a magic wand, but there were so many things so *wrong* it wasn't funny! What really worries me is if some *Mechanic* can stuff-up something as simple as a V11 as badly as this how many other poorly running, if not downright UNSAFE machines are there out on the road??????

Look at it another way. Most maintenance is replacement of parts. The only bit that requires a bit of thinking is engine tuning for best performance - however you wish to define that. If some grunter with more forearm hairs than brain cells has a go at your average multi, they are only going to make it slower by the laws of averages. So most people are getting less than they paid for and their machines are slower and (according to common wisdom) therefore safer.

but then at mid-day a Rosso Manello lobbed in.

Tomorrow I'll tip in a bit more time and take it on a LONG test run, through some traffic and hot stuff

Take care and don't go for too long a run. It could be your undoing. The transmission spring is likely to break and the gearbox will seize-up anyway, in the hot, slow traffic. The finely tuned angine will then be no use. Give it back, quick.

Rear wheel bearings? Be very afraid.