Bad day in Pheoinx

coz1100

Had a spill today. the road was wet and a light application of the front brake started to wash it out. I tryed to save it but it just bucked me off. After that it went across two lains of traffic and jumped the divid doin about 40 and landed on the right side of the bike.

first look so far shows that I need new rims. the forks are strait but the fairing on the right side is FUBR along with the fairing mounts, tach housing and clip on. Thats realy all I can see for right now. I'll let you all know as I tair into it.

Z

Ouch.

Been there, etc. Painful to body, bike, and soul.

Best wishes for a fast recovery all three, as they will all heal.

Bill

well, it's looking like its just surfice damage. :notworthy: fairing and mounting are toast. Does anyone happen to know where they might sell new/used lemans fairing. I looked in the usuale places ( except Reboot) and haven't found anything yet. The right hand valve cover beaten but reusable after painting. The engine guard did it's job, will need a knew one. Also the instrament housing took a shot. it will need to go.

The only major thing are the rims. Thier both bent. I'm sure I could get them straiten, but I wouldn't mind getting some new ones oem of other.

:) all in all could have been a lot worse

Z

PS that's exactly what I was thinking Jaap

Glad you are OK Coz. Didn't someone here on the forum just convert their LeMans to a Nekid? Maybe they'd want to sell the fairing? maybe you could go Nekid? Too bad about the wheels but I bet someone will turn something up. Better than wearing casts on your legs!

Guest ratchethack

Sorry to hear about y'er crash, Coz.

Hope y'er parts search is a rewarding one.

Puts me in mind of a very similar, yet apparently less "interesting" crash I had recently. <_<

Lady immediately in front of me in traffic SUDDENLY LOCKS UP her brakes hard enough to put her big SUV into a tire-smokin', sideways slide. :o

The subsequent 200-proof adrenaline shot that dumped into my carotid arteries and caused my eyes to get REAL BIG REAL QUICK, along with the rest o' the obligatory full-bodily reflexes, in perfect sync with a convulsive contraction o' the ol' primary sphincter. :moon: The net physiological reaction at my right hand was to grab waaaay too much o' those big ol' dual-disk Brembos. :wacko:

By the time I almost clipped the big SUV going by on the right, regained partial composure and backed off the brake, I'd lost traction up front and had turned the fork in a reflexive move to correct f'er the slide. Traction suddenly back on front tire with fork at or near lock, and Bob's Y'er Uncle. <_<

Surprisingly little damage, though. Nice lady in the SUV stopped when she figured out wot happened.

Just another likely cell-phone related incident, though like most, not verifiable. <_<

Just another reminder -- them Big Brembos DO BITE! :blush:

My sympathies!!

This is a reminder to me to practice a key maneuver every few months - a full "panic" stop from high speed. Minimum distance to stop w/o dropping the bike. It is a very good thing to practice - before you need it for real.

I also believe - and this is subject to debate - that it is good to be mentally prepared to hit something (e.g. back of a car etc.) if you absolutely cannot bring the bike to a 100% stop. I am no believer in the "lay 'er down" school of thought. Certainly at speed, laying the bike down on purpose is just dumb - and the bike is just going to go/skid farther than if you were cranking on the front brake until the end.

Bob

rossopuro now has the tubless spoked wheels for the V11 . . . :notworthy:

28.jpg

BTW . . . If you don't mind . . . I'm the safety manager for my company

and I'm interested in what type of protective clothing you were wearing

during your get off, and how well did it protect you. :rasta:

BTW . . . If you don't mind . . . I'm the safety manager for my company

and I'm interested in what type of protective clothing you were wearing

during your get off, and how well did it protect you. :rasta:

I had a Shift jacket on with a good set of riding glove, craftmans jeans and high top leather boots. In all I came out pritty well, a little bump on the knee, and :blush: on my ass cheek. Not bad really.

Z

:2c: i find it difficult to understand how one can be out riding and be mentally prepared for a crash, allso how one could practice breaking for a crash situation. i'd like to believe that my breaking experience under normal riding experience would be enough to cope with any situation. don't get me wrong! i've had plenty of crashes of all kind. but i can't say that i've ever been prepared for it. :bier: gary.

My sympathies!!

This is a reminder to me to practice a key maneuver every few months - a full "panic" stop from high speed. Minimum distance to stop w/o dropping the bike. It is a very good thing to practice - before you need it for real.

I also believe - and this is subject to debate - that it is good to be mentally prepared to hit something (e.g. back of a car etc.) if you absolutely cannot bring the bike to a 100% stop. I am no believer in the "lay 'er down" school of thought. Certainly at speed, laying the bike down on purpose is just dumb - and the bike is just going to go/skid farther than if you were cranking on the front brake until the end.

Bob

I agree, crashes are so unpredictable it is impossible to be mentally prepared. I was actually (trying to)putg forth the notion that hitting an object at low speed under "control" can be better than laying a bike down and sliding into the object at high speed or rolling and flipping to avoid hitting an object at all costs. But every situation is different and I can see this point of view is highly debate-able.

I am glad this crash did not result in much bodily harm to you Coz!

I'm certainly glad you weren't seriously injured. It's too bad that the spare set of rims I have are for an earlier sport, the rear wheel is an inch narrower than the LeMans.

That a damn shame. If you come across any let me know. As for now I'm going to try to get them trued at a local shop. Unfortunatly I'd need to remove the rotors and 5 of them stripped out. :huh2: Man just can't get a brake.

Z