Forward foot position

Ryland3210

• 3 months later...

John, a couple questions:

1)What is the current status of price/availability for the Comfort Controls?

2)Is the 'reach' to lever from the peg the same dimension as the stock set-up?

John, a couple questions:

1)What is the current status of price/availability for the Comfort Controls?

2)Is the 'reach' to lever from the peg the same dimension as the stock set-up?

Hi docc,

1) I have a set left from the last batch. Price is $450 for the complete set plus $10 for shipping, including stainless hardware, left hand threaded ball rod end, connecting rod and LH threaded nut to replace the original rod, which was right hand threaded on both ends. The advantage is the ability to fine tune the shift lever position without having to disconnect the connecting rod from the shift lever (this makes it much easier to set up, or change if you wish). Easy to follow instructions are included, and they are accurate (this may sound obvious, but we all have been frustrated from time to time with inscrutable or inaccurate instructions). No special tools are required, and it's complete bolt-on kit. See the personal message I sent you for address and other details.

2) The distance from peg to pedal is exactly the same as the original, as is the ratio of the shift and brake levers. The original adjustment features are also retained. The brake cylinder orientation is also the same. The original mounting location is retained.

PS, I can have these hard anodized in gold, red, blue, or black at additional cost.

You can check it out and the pressure gauge kit I came up with on my new website: www.motratech.com

best regards,

John

I was in the first batch of forward foot controls and would recommend to everyone. These have truly transformed the bike for me. I do have a question for John about the oil gauge. I just bought a Centauro and will be picking up in May. Do you know if your gauge will fit this bike? If so...I have a feeling many folks over on the COG sight might be interested since there is a slight issue with the gear self-destructing on the oil pump over time. It seems the oil pump issue is one of the main concerns, so would be nice to keep an eye on things. I don't have a Centauro to look at and only know you modeled your pegs after the Centauro controls, so it's my hoping you might have an answer.

Thanks,

-Kevin

I also have a set of these fine controls and would recommend them but with one caveat. If you natural toe position is below the footrest (sloping downwards) then you will probably not be able to lower the gear change lever enough to allow downward changes without slightly lifting your foot from the rest. Not a problem for some people but is for me preventing natural and easy downward changes. The foot rest position however is really excellent giving long easy days without leg cramp.

:2c:

I was in the first batch of forward foot controls and would recommend to everyone. These have truly transformed the bike for me. I do have a question for John about the oil gauge. I just bought a Centauro and will be picking up in May. Do you know if your gauge will fit this bike? If so...I have a feeling many folks over on the COG sight might be interested since there is a slight issue with the gear self-destructing on the oil pump over time. It seems the oil pump issue is one of the main concerns, so would be nice to keep an eye on things. I don't have a Centauro to look at and only know you modeled your pegs after the Centauro controls, so it's my hoping you might have an answer.

Thanks,

-Kevin

Thanks, kevdog,

In designing the forward foot position controls, I did not have access to a Centauro, and a bought a set of Centauro controls as a starting point. Mainly I wanted to be sure not to make my peg location any farther down than them, but definitely much farther forward. What I found was that by moving the foot forward, the toe point more forward than down as on the original pegs, so ground clearance from toe to pavement was the same.

Therefore, I'm not that familiar with the Centauro layout regarding the pressure gauge mounting options. I have a recent copy of Guzziology, so I'll check that and reply.

Can you supply the website for COG?

John

I also have a set of these fine controls and would recommend them but with one caveat. If you natural toe position is below the footrest (sloping downwards) then you will probably not be able to lower the gear change lever enough to allow downward changes without slightly lifting your foot from the rest. Not a problem for some people but is for me preventing natural and easy downward changes. The foot rest position however is really excellent giving long easy days without leg cramp.

:2c:

Thanks, John. I aim to please.

You had one of the first batch sets. I recall you giving me feedback on the toe position. As a result, later sets included a left hand threaded ball rod end, LH/RH connecting rod and LH nut to replace the original. This makes it easy to fine tune the shift pedal position. The connecting rod is also shorter than the original it replaces to lower the range of pedal positions available. It's a matter of personal preference, of course, so adjustment is provided.

FWIW, there have been no other critical comments besides yours on the pedal position, perhaps because of the later improvements.

Cheers, John

Thanks, kevdog,

In designing the forward foot position controls, I did not have access to a Centauro, and a bought a set of Centauro controls as a starting point. Mainly I wanted to be sure not to make my peg location any farther down than them, but definitely much farther forward. What I found was that by moving the foot forward, the toe point more forward than down as on the original pegs, so ground clearance from toe to pavement was the same.

Therefore, I'm not that familiar with the Centauro layout regarding the pressure gauge mounting options. I have a recent copy of Guzziology, so I'll check that and reply.

Can you supply the website for COG?

John

No luck in Guzziology wrt Centauro pressure gauge adaption. Lots of technical detail, but no pictures where that would help. However, if it has the banjo fitting on the top of the block which feeds oil to the cylinder heads, my adapter will work fine. The gauge manifold is set up to mount with two screws. One of my customers has mounted it using just the one, on a LeMans. One screw is enough from the strength standpoint, and any convenient form of friction under the manifold can be used to prevent loosening if that is necessary.

Thanks, John. I aim to please.

You had one of the first batch sets. I recall you giving me feedback on the toe position. As a result, later sets included a left hand threaded ball rod end, LH/RH connecting rod and LH nut to replace the original. This makes it easy to fine tune the shift pedal position. The connecting rod is also shorter than the original it replaces to lower the range of pedal positions available. It's a matter of personal preference, of course, so adjustment is provided.

FWIW, there have been no other critical comments besides yours on the pedal position, perhaps because of the later improvements.

Cheers, John

Hmm

The change in the left hand threaded ball rod end and connecting bar make absolutely no difference to my problem. As you know I took some metal from both the pedal arm and the pork chop where it interfered to enable the lever to go to a lower position and this was still not enough. The problem is in the curve of the pedal arm itself or of course my left leg. :D

Of course this is a matter of personal preference and mine is for the pedal to be in a lower position than allowed. I expect you would want potential purchasers to be aware of both the benefits and limitations of these excellent controls.

:mellow:

Hmm

The change in the left hand threaded ball rod end and connecting bar make absolutely no difference to my problem. As you know I took some metal from both the pedal arm and the pork chop where it interfered to enable the lever to go to a lower position and this was still not enough. The problem is in the curve of the pedal arm itself or of course my left leg. :D

Of course this is a matter of personal preference and mine is for the pedal to be in a lower position than allowed. I expect you would want potential purchasers to be aware of both the benefits and limitations of these excellent controls.

:mellow:

Sure, what better way for products to get improved? Since it means an expensive pattern change, and I wasn't kidding when I said I have had no other comments to this effect, I have been reluctant to spend the additional $1500 for a one off.

Let's discuss this offline. I have an idea.

Hey John,

Thanks for checking in Guzziology. Mine has been lent out. Anyhow....it is just a matter of finding a way into the engine that I'm interested in. I can mount no problem I'm sure. I can have something fabricated if need be. Here is the COG sight:

http://www.centauro-owners.com/

I have a good source over on the sight as well, so I'll do my research.

Thanks,

-Kev

Hey John,

Thanks for checking in Guzziology. Mine has been lent out. Anyhow....it is just a matter of finding a way into the engine that I'm interested in. I can mount no problem I'm sure. I can have something fabricated if need be. Here is the COG sight:

http://www.centauro-owners.com/

I have a good source over on the sight as well, so I'll do my research.

Thanks,

-Kev

Hi Kev,

I checked the gallery, and have two things to say:

The forward foot controls should bolt right on.

The pressure guage manifold can be mounted using either of the two screw locations astride the center of the instrument panel bracket. I could not find any picture of the top of the engine block between the cylinders to see whether it has the banjo bolt with dual oil feed to the cylinder heads. If it does, that's a bolt on for the adapter with the pressure port for the gauge.

John

Hey John,

I am told every Guzzi has the same location and banjo bolt...so...I will proceed after picking up the bike in late May to check things over and get back with you. I also have the Lemans as you know, and will most likely have one for it as well. Yes...my friend who ordered one from you is Karl. He used just one screw in the instrument column to connect his gauge and it seems plenty tight. It's also nice to have it directly beneath the RPM gauge (on the right screw)since they're sort of related.

If I were you John, I would introduce yourself over on the COG sight and offer your goodies. Like I said, the Centauro has build issues when it comes to an aluminum gear that runs the oil pump. Some are turning into metal shavings and it has people worried. There is some other issue as well with the pump. This would supply some peace of mind for sure.

Just a suggestion,

-Kevin

• 2 months later...

Question on ergos and folks that don't have "long inseams" and are over 6' tall:

I've seen it mentioned several times about John's Motratech kit that it is great for folks with longer inseams and over 6' tall.

I however am 5' 8" tall, with a 30-31" inseam.

I find the stock position too constrictive for long distance riding or just bumbling around town, hence putting on the Buell pegs. Those are still a little high, but are OK... but I don't like how far they push my feet out from the bike, or the "not quite right" alignment with the controls they produce.

I've been emailing John about his controls featured in this thread, and he's been very helpful.

I noticed that John's Motratech units seem very similar to the Centauro controls, which are quite a bit forward as well as lowered.

My question is really if anyone with my build, 5'8" and 30ish inch inseam, has ridden the Motratech or seemingly similar Centauro type controls and how that works for you?

I know the pegs on my old FJ1200 were much lower and forward and I liked that position much better.

Thanks,

Al

Question on ergos and folks that don't have "long inseams" and are over 6' tall:

I've seen it mentioned several times about John's Motratech kit that it is great for folks with longer inseams and over 6' tall.

I however am 5' 8" tall, with a 30-31" inseam.

I find the stock position too constrictive for long distance riding or just bumbling around town, hence putting on the Buell pegs. Those are still a little high, but are OK... but I don't like how far they push my feet out from the bike, or the "not quite right" alignment with the controls they produce.

I've been emailing John about his controls featured in this thread, and he's been very helpful.

I noticed that John's Motratech units seem very similar to the Centauro controls, which are quite a bit forward as well as lowered.

My question is really if anyone with my build, 5'8" and 30ish inch inseam, has ridden the Motratech or seemingly similar Centauro type controls and how that works for you?

I know the pegs on my old FJ1200 were much lower and forward and I liked that position much better.

Thanks,

Al

Al

FWIW - I am 5' 6" with 29-30" inseam and have been very pleased with John's FF kit. In addition to the better leg/foot position I found is it really helps keep me in the correct portion (pocket?) of the seat Corbin Gunfighter (which thankfully fit very well) instead of sliding forward against the tank every time I brake. I also found that with the FF kit installed I wish for even more set-back from Cycle Cat 2.5" risers for the ideal foot/butt/hand relationship but we are talking about small nuances compared to the huge improvement made by installing the kit. Hope this helps.

Regards