Scura clutch swap

moscowphil

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still looking for a US source for the RAM flywheel and clutch replacement.

Hi Bill,

Here's a link to MG cycle.http://www.mgcycle.com/clutch.html They used to list a model for V11 ,dont see it now but my have been an over site on their part.They were listed for $499.00 a few months ago for the V11now $545.00 for similar models.Good job on pumping up the dollar Dubya!

Im jealous,youv'e got some of the best roads in the country.Done several trips up north of San Fran through Eureka,just awsome!

Let me know if ya find anything cheaper as I'll be looking later in the season.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to taking off my flywheel and clutch and replaced it with a new RAM unit from Agostinis. This was the first major job I've done on a V11, so I approached it with some trepidation. In fact the job was not nearly as difficult as I had feared - much easier than the old Tonti framed bikes

I'll put some notes up on how I did it in a day or two, and a few pics, in case it helps anyone else setting off down the same road.

Nothing obviously untoward with the one I took off, but I'll get it crack tested to see.

First impression of the RAM unit - the horrible clack - clack - clack noise in neutral has gone ! Worth it for that alone - people don't stare at me every time I stop at the lights now. Lever action is incredibly light - it was light before, but its much lighter now.

And I've realised I have to pull a bike to bits before it actually feels like mine. Just putting petrol in it and riding it just doesn't do it for me. That's probably why I lbought a Guzzi in the first place instead of a Japanese bike. Now I can start riding it!

I think you guys are over-reacting on this Scura clutch issue. Sheeze. The internet and this site is great but one or two graphic pictures and everyone goes into a panic. Id be curious to see the faliure rate of the Scura clutch compared to that of the twin plate. Stuff happens to anything mechanical and I realize that , if it happened to me, I may feel different, but I think its silly to go the trouble and expense to replace what may be the best clutch Guzzi ever used. I have over 10k on mine with zero problems. It feels and functions better than all the many Guzzi clutches Ive owned. At most, if someone is so paranoid from the hoopla, break yours apart and inspect it for cracks and then put it back.

Good luck leafman60- mine started to destroy itself at 22000km.

Just checked my transmission boss and spring- 15mm (hopefully no worries). Found a spot where the two springs can catch -maybe contributing to missed shifts.

Back to the flywheel- i noticed a louder clacking noise with some screeching sounds on take off just before mine became a problem.

Thankfully at stop/start city traffic speeds. I had a RAM unit installed now for 15000km with no problems- it was quiet for the first couple of hundred kms and is now back to the same sound as the previous RAM/MG unit.

Cheers,

Bruce

As I have said before, it is not the fact that the unit fails in itself. All things mechanical have a finite life.

The concern is the dramatic & catastrophic failure mode that is worth avoiding.

Nige. B)

As I have said before, it is not the fact that the unit fails in itself. All things mechanical have a finite life.

The concern is the dramatic & catastrophic failure mode that is worth avoiding.

Nige. B)

YES!! :bier:

As promised I've put together some notes on what you need to do to replace the clutch and flywheel. Unfortunatrely I haven't got a web-site to host it on, and it's too big to put it on the forum (291K), so if anyone wants it please send me a personal message and I'll email it to you. Cheers

• 1 month later...

Where did the 3 percent failure rate statistic come from? Im not sure that would put them out of business and Im still curious about how many failures occur on the 2 plate units. Even if the 3 percent failure rate on Scura clutches is true, thats certainly not high enough to make me change the best clutch Ive ever used. I still think you guys are overreacting here.

Guest drknow

Where did the 3 percent failure rate statistic come from? Im not sure that would put them out of business and Im still curious about how many failures occur on the 2 plate units. Even if the 3 percent failure rate on Scura clutches is true, thats certainly not high enough to make me change the best clutch Ive ever used. I still think you guys are overreacting here.

I understand your position, but remember that the flywheel breaking can have catastrophic consequences. Imagine you're ripping through a sweeper at 90mph and the rear wheel locks up. Luckily, mine broke at low speeds and I didn't go down.

The 3% failure rate is simple math. Less than 600 Scuras out there, worldwide there are around 20 failures we know of. Mine was in the US, so USA bikes are not immune. Guzzi refused to warranty mine as my bike was out of warranty and I "ride mine hard."

I replaced with a single plate EV clutch/flywheel, had the flywheel lightened by Ed Milich at Guzzitech, and had the troublesome clutch relined. Now, the bike has a clutch with a smaller MOI than before, and I'd recommend anyone with a Scura consider prophylactic replacement.

dk

3 percent is small and not enough to make me go out and incur the cost and effort of changing my clutch. Sheeze. I sure dont think is enough risk to make people wear prophylactics.

3 percent is small and not enough to make me go out and incur the cost and effort of changing my clutch. Sheeze. I sure dont think is enough risk to make people wear prophylactics.

Do the search, read the threads, view the pix: Guzzi totally dropped the ball [spanner? slide rule?] on this one when they decided to "redesign for cheapness" the RAM product. The question about the Scuras' aluminum clutch is not "if" but "when;" it's just a faulty design. Everyone in the U.S. with a Scura who's had a failure should go to the NHTSA complaint website & file their specifics: if the NHTSA get the data, they'll force a recall. IIRC, if they hit a 5% rate, it's automatic recall time for all affected vehicles. Heck, even the overseas riders should list their woes, since it might show the NHTSA the true dimension of the problem.

Yeah, it would cost Piaggio some ducats, but better that than someone loses their life because of the dang clutch blowing up. And it's rightly their problem: when they bought Aprilia [& hence, Guzzi] at a fire sale price, they got to assume all the original companies' problems. Que sera, sera! ;)

:mg:

Ive seen those pics and read those threads but, again, how do we get the 3% failure rate documented. Again, even at that, its not enough to make me worry. I like the feel of the single plate clutch much better than the 2 plate. If 97% of those produced are doing fine, thats good enough for me. My sky aint falling.