Scura clutch swap

moscowphil

Being of a generally paranoid disposition, and having read all the stuff posted in the forum over the years about exploding Scura flywheels, I've decided it's time to pull the thing apart and put in a replacement. A RAM seems about the best option from what I can gather from all the discussion in the forum, but has anyone had a bad experience with one of these? And does anyone know where to buy one at a reasonable price? (I'm in the UK). And are there any other alternatives other than converting to the old two plate design? (Not that I've anything against these - I'm fine with heavy flywheels - it's just the astronomical cost of buying genuine Guzzi replacement parts). Cheers everyone.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for that....

I have a V10 Centauro clutch in mine.

I really like it..... :thumbsup:

I got mine from Pete at Reboot.

www.rebootguzzispares.com

You will need a clutch centre from a twin plater V11 BTW ;)

Nige. B)

I got a RAM for my Scura from Agostinis in Mandello (00390341735448 - Peter, their spares guy, speaks English). Can't remember exact cost but it was a hell of a lot cheaper than other quotes I had. Not had time to fit it yet.

Have a RAM in my Tonti, been in a while, but not done a lot of miles so can't say re longevity. Nice, very light action, works good. I like it. Only thing I'd say is, it'll slip earlier than stock Tonti twin plate under (fairly severe) abuse.

KB :sun:

Hi KB,

Do you remember what the RAM cost?How bout the switch?How much time, aggravation?

Thanks ,

Michael

....Do you remember what the RAM cost?How bout the switch?How much time, aggravation?...

V11 unit was £413 inc postage to UK. Not fitted it yet.

Tonti one cost much less but that was long time back & they do seem to have gone up a lot recently. Don't recall any problems fitting it - went straight on I think.

Hi KB - have you taken your old clutch out yet? And if so, can you confirm that your new RAM clutch is indeed a different design? There seems to be some differences of opinion about whether the original scura clutch (or rather flywheel) is or isn't a RAM. I had a look at the Reboot site - no Centuro clutch, but he's got a Corsa clutch. Anyone know what design this is? Is it the steel 2 plate job, and will it go straight on a Scura? If so I might go for this, as I use the bike mainly for touring anyway. Might seem odd, but I actually find the Scura makes a very good tourer (my idea of touring involves lots of hills and bends, which the Scura loves).

the corsa, is the nero corsa you mean, mail him if he still has it, he is not so keep on keeping the website up te date.

But it's a 2 plate, and all 2 plate v11 clutches are ok. Just see that you get the gear on the gearbox side with it.

And the small center piece that falls out whenm engine and clutch are seperated. This is different for the v11 and all others. The tickness of the disengageing rod is different for the v11 gearbox.

Hi KB - have you taken your old clutch out yet? And if so, can you confirm that your new RAM clutch is indeed a different design? There seems to be some differences of opinion about whether the original scura clutch (or rather flywheel) is or isn't a RAM. .....

No, no time - the long winter stretching out before me in November went by very quick. I expect RAM flywheel to vary from stock one. Heard it said by various people. Agostinis told me MG sourced parts of the Scura clutch from RAM, but some bits came otherwise, inc the flywheel.

Will let you know what I eventually find.

I think you are overreacting a bit. Theres been a few cases with pictures splashed all over this website and people go beserk. Considering the number of single plate machines made, Im not sure the faliure rate is any worse than the old 2 plate clutch. I know a guy who had one of those shatter on him too. I know, I know, you dudes who have had the failures think Im whistling in the cemetery. My Scura has over 10k miles on it and its works flawlessly. Its the best feeling cycle clutch I have, including the latest japanese hardware. At most, I think Id pull it and check the bolts for torque and inspect for any possible cracks in the flywheel but I prefer to keep my stock clutch. :rasta:

It is not so much that the unit fails. It is the spectacular termination that gives cause for concern.

I replaced mine at under 7,000 miles.

I had the flywheel crack detected.

There were hairline cracks around the bolt holes. It was on the road to failure.

It only seems to be the Scura model that is effected. I still reckon it is a 'when' rather than 'if.'

Nige. :oldgit:

...Considering the number of single plate machines made, Im not sure the faliure rate is any worse than the old 2 plate clutch....

I am. We're talking about 600 bikes. Given that it's likely to be a fraction of actual cases, I'd say the failure rate we've seen here is high. There's a problem with at least some of the Scura units, so how do you know if yours is one of them? I've ridden a twin plate Tonti for 20+ years & sure, we didn't always have internet to spread panic, but you get to know of stuff other ways & I never heard any generic major failings with that unit which is used in various versions in countless thousands of bikes.

I had same opinion as you for a long time, but now there's too much evidence. As Ballacraine says, the conseqences of failure at speed don't bear thinking about. Course it's possible that all the bad ones have now gone tits up but given that Ballacraine found same cracks in his with no outward symptoms, how many Scuras have same? It's quite possible that a steady riding style & low mileage mask the extent of the problem (& it's possible they don't!). A dealer told me recently (...now warranty is up....) they had replaced several Scura clutches, cos of, as I understood him, this problem. You could be right, but I'm riding my Tonti til I've at least had a look at the clutch.

I must say I'm inclined to agree with KB on this one. Yes, my clutch might be a good 'un, but it might not, so I guess I'm going to have to pull it apart and at least look at it, for my own peace of mind. I'll keep the forum posted on what I find. What's the vote on which is the best way to get at it? Crab the frame, or engine off the front?