steering head.

The bolt pointed to on the 2nd image:

v11_95_1.jpg

I removed that bolt and the clipon was adjustble OK,

but this 3rd bolt has a fixed position against the steering

head, so if you want to adjusts the position of the clip-ons

you have to do without this bolt. Anyone tried that, I don't

want to experience and slipping clipon at 150 km/h :o

The 00 and 01 V11 Sport use the 3rd bolt under the upper triple clamp for adjustment of the bars in two positions. If you want to adjust the clipons farther than the two indexing holes allow there is enough clamping area of the clamps that the 3rd bolt will not be needed. I have been using aftermarket clipons that are much thinner (a weight thing), and have had no problems with movement.

Mike

Indeed, the locator bolt is redundant. In fact the 2000 sales brochure claims the clip-ons are adjustable both fore-aft and up-down. The only way to acheive lower position is to loose the locator bolt.

I have my 2000 V11 Sport clipons all the up and all the way back. Properly torqued the pinch bolts will prevent slippage under normal use, even at speed. I've only tested mine to 200 kph. Beyond that, you're on your own. :bike::bike::bike:

One other thing to keep in mind: if you drop your bike (or lowside, in my case! ;-) it is much better to have the clip-on rotate around the fork leg than to have the bar break and/or bend.

In my situation, I had the Magni clip-ons, which don't have this locator screw, and after my mishap all I had to do was bang on the bar a few times with the heel of my hand to reposition it and it was good as new. Had the clip-ons been physically locked in place by this extra screw, the bar surely would have been damaged quite badly.

Food for thought.

• 8 years later...

This is exactly the answer I needed to find, and where else would I have found it than on the V11lemans forum...

That third bolt (and lack of alternate holes to screw it into) was mocking me, and now I know it's stupid and I can ignore it, I feel much better. :-)

My cafe sport has a handlebar instead of clipons

and no locator hole on the upper plate as it is not needed.

I tried a set of borrowed clipons in a track day and had no problem with slippage

though I had a serious problem of turning ratio as the long cables and brake lines were hitting the instruments in any position I tried :angry:

+1. No need for that 3rd bolt - I also have Magni clip-ons ... and (Docc) are they are good for at least 201 kph, maybe more ..?

Well, OK, 218. But just that one time. Of course, that is on the Vagueliar speedo so might not have been quite even 200. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a search, I have just got some Maxon Clip-on clamps. I have mounted them under the top yoke, as against the OE ones that clamp above the top yoke. The idea being I'll use the standard for road riding and just slide the tubes out and slot them in the low mounts for trackdays. The Maxon come standard with no anchor lock. They just work on friction. My OE ones are not adjustable at all. Would like to see a pick of the adjustment mechanism.

After a bit of a search, I have just got some Maxon Clip-on clamps. I have mounted them under the top yoke, as against the OE ones that clamp above the top yoke. The idea being I'll use the standard for road riding and just slide the tubes out and slot them in the low mounts for trackdays. The Maxon come standard with no anchor lock. They just work on friction. My OE ones are not adjustable at all. Would like to see a pick of the adjustment mechanism.

Both the "over mount" and "under mount" clip-ons will rotate forward and back fixed by the torque on the pinch bolts. Always a good method there to tighten in stages and go back and forth between the two fasteners.

The under mount of the earlier versions (1999-2001) can be lowered, but the over mount cannot be slid down unless the forks are moved up through the triple clamp.