2004 Ballabio vs. Cafe Sport

zen_kick

Zen:

I also have a 74 Eldo and an 04 Ballabio that I upgraded to Ohlins.

If you don't mind me asking what is your rough guess at cost to upgrade a Ballabio with Ohlins, MotoBits and a Rich's seat? (you having done all three I think?)

I stopped by MI this morning to look over and sit on the bikes (no time for a ride ;-{ ). Mods definitely make the used Cafe Sport attractive - if only it weren't BROWN and GOLD. All my other bikes are Black, Chrome and Blue and the Ballabio matches my color theme in the garage. I know that "brown is the new black" but still. Ideal would be an 04 upgraded Grey & Blue Ballabio but the pocketbook won't support it.

Of course there is another Cafe Sport for sale at MI right now that has been touched by Will Ferrell's a$$. Can't reproduce that very easily. That alone might trump color *and* accessories! So also if you don't mind me asking Greg, what is your rough guess at the cost to have Will Ferrell sit on my motorcycle?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mattress

If you don't mind me asking what is your rough guess at cost to upgrade a Ballabio with Ohlins, MotoBits and a Rich's seat? (you having done all three I think?)

I stopped by MI this morning to look over and sit on the bikes (no time for a ride ;-{ ). Mods definitely make the used Cafe Sport attractive - if only it weren't BROWN and GOLD. All my other bikes are Black, Chrome and Blue and the Ballabio matches my color theme in the garage. I know that "brown is the new black" but still. Ideal would be an 04 upgraded Grey & Blue Ballabio but the pocketbook won't support it.

Of course there is another Cafe Sport for sale at MI right now that has been touched by Will Ferrell's a$$. Can't reproduce that very easily. That alone might trump color *and* accessories! So also if you don't mind me asking Greg, what is your rough guess at the cost to have Will Ferrell sit on my motorcycle?

I'm not aware of any differences in the Sports regarding color. I think they were all Bronze/Graphite/Gold Ohlins.

I like the Graphite color. The only "brown" (Guzzi calls it bronze) is the valve covers and porkchops, easy to replace with another color if it is that important.

Greg,please. :(

Lists of prices should never be put up like that.Scary reading. :o

I believe the correct reply is in the manner of-

"Ah,listen,they're not that dear and they'll make such a huge difference to your bike,you'll wonder how you ever lived without them.C'mon,imagine how they'll feel,that unquantifiable plushness and luxury.But,picture the scene,somewhere down the road when a buddy offers you a go on his Ohlins equipped stallion.The chasm of regret torn within your soul will be unbridgeable when you remount your own lesser machine.

Compared to that,the price is trifling.Practically a give-away. :D

Guest jim fordham

Buy the cafe , i ve got a scura r which is the same but with different paint. I ve ridden both and the ohlins bike felt a lot more planted when pushed hard , the front is better when hard on the brakes and settles well mid corner even if you have to hit the panic button .

Plus the cafe is cooler.

I have owned the Ballabio, own a Le Mans and ridden the Cafe Sport.

I vote go with the Cafe Sport. Based on the info provided, it seems like the Cafe Sport has the most bang-for-bucks because of all the added bits that would cost a small fortune.

I have a Ballabio with a rear Ohlins added when the stock failed. Hmmmmm. Possibly cuz I am a wee bit heavier than 170? :P

Anyway, the difference, even without same up front is amazing.

Bill

So I went against the collective wisdom and sprung for the Ballabio. I know the Ohlins are better, I know the titanium is expensive, I know 9k is nothing to a v11, I know going against Greg's advice means I deserve a Honda ;-}. Honestly it came down to aesthetics for me. I dig the Ballabio color scheme, the mods I want to start out with are not overly expensive (motobits, bar-end mirrors and a taller seat) and I love to hear my little boy say "Ballabio?!?!?! That's a funny word!".

Since I have been driving circa 1976 motorcycles exclusively for the past decade, any version of the V11 will feel like a rocket to me and I can always toss more money at it down the road when parts wear out.

Of course now that my wife has seen and started the V11. I may start working on her to pick up the Cafe Sport to replace her old Honda CB400 - the color scheme would fit her better anyway.

Thank you all for the suggestions and advice - even if I ignored most of it. I'll post a picture as soon as we unpack the camera.