Bevel drive leak with Shockprof heavy

Guest Nigelstephens

Dimitris--Is there too much grease on the wheel splines that is throwing out after the tire replacement? Is it grease or oil on the wheel? Grease is probably coming from the splines. Oil would be from the large bevel drive seal. Is your vent plugged up?

Kevin, thank you for your reply. Sorry for being tiring but could you explain me what exactly do you mean by saying "vent plugged up"...? ( I am still learning guys)

Which/where are the splines? :blush:

I

Burping didn't cure my Sport 1100i. I go FAST for a LONG time where it is HOT. I have had 2 1100s that both pushed oil past the big seal and had to be vented. Consider yourself lucky. An unvented bevel drive is simply a poor design, esp. the floating one with so little space to breathe.

I live in Western Australia I do change the mineral oil in rear drive every 5000kms it goes off not long after that I've found shock proof heavy is not a lot better. I'm not certian burping it does a lot be it seems to work for me.

Kevin, thank you for your reply. Sorry for being tiring but could you explain me what exactly do you mean by saying "vent plugged up"...? ( I am still learning guys)

Which/where are the splines? :blush:

OK, but first tell me is it GREASE or OIL on the wheel? Grease is a thick, waxy substance like peanut butter. Oil is thinner and fluid.

grrrr, I am not sure... :blush: I will have to check it again....and I'll tell you,

Thank you Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nigelstephens

Having sold my sport back in April I have a BMW K1200S. Put shock proof heavy in that too and what d'you know. It started leaking from the seal 500 miles later.

• 14 years later...
28 minutes ago, Walterg said:

15 years later.....
What do you guys mean with "Burping" the bevel drive?

Isn't this a technique to relieve pressure from the earlier (pre-V11), un-vented rear drives by getting them hot then opening the filler cap to "burp" pressure buildup?

This should be a non-issue with the vented V11 reardrive as long as the vent is not blocked.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 11:39 PM, Walterg said:

Thanks.
Mine is indeed vented and I know it's open because it let's water in.

I've never seen water in my bevel box, but I replaced the vent fitting anyway because:

a. It could let water in.

b. It was unnecesarily heavy lump of steel.

c. because I could.

.image.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 6:39 AM, Walterg said:

Thanks.
Mine is indeed vented and I know it's open because it let's water in.

Once a leak(s) starts, it is probably about correctly replacing seals. Seems I spent ten years of my V11 life about this . . .

I had to abandon RedLine ShockProof "Heavy" /pink after my suspicions that I could not judge re-fill volume and likely overfilled. Even going to RedLine ShockProof "Light Weight", judging how much lubricant is retained after draining is unknowable.

Today, a cold reardrive drain, with formed drain channel and (orange) duct tape tab to deflect the last drops away from the wheel/tire (worked a charm!):

IMG_8201.jpg

After about an hour, buttoned it up and added an accurately measured 350 ml (of the 370 ml V11 reardrive capacity) of RLSPLW/"blue".

Waited several hours and opened the "level plug" (with the front wheel in a SportChock), capturing ~10 ml.

Not sure what this means to refill volumes with the so-very-clingy Redline ShockProof, but it is very challenging not to overfill!

IMG_8205.jpg

• Like 4