Moto Guzzi "Adventure Tourer"

joe camarda

Interesting choice for 'round the world, Guzzirider.

Nice bike Ratch! :thumbsup:

I fell in love with the XT when I hired one for a month in Australia a few years back. I rode it from Darwin through the centre down to Melbourne. It was light enough to be manageable on the dirt tracks, but big enough to cope with the roads.

Like you say, tough as old boots and it never let me down, although I had to keep an eye on oil consumption in the heat. I promised myself I would buy one when i got home but alas it has not happened so far!

Here's a few grainy pics (sorry pre digital age!):

XTCoorong.jpg

XTEyre.jpg

Koalacapeotway.jpg

XTsky.jpg

Guy :helmet:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ratchethack

Great shots, Guzzirider.

How'd you manage to get Roper to pose sitting on the front end? :lol:

I tried to post a shot of mine, but evidently Jaap is punishing me again, :( I'm over my storage limit, even though I deleted a ton of old stuff. Maybe he'll let me post it later if I'm good. . . ;)

Mine's a '95 and it has some different stuff than yours. Your rental must've been a few years older?

Great to actually see ANY shot o' one o' these. They're probably as common as dirt where you are, but here, even a photo is rare. . . B)

The venrable XT a while ago had a pretty big update including the switch to water cooling/fuel injection and uses the same motor as the Aprilia Pegaso range actually more like the Aprilia uses the same motor as the yammie. Athough here we only get the XT660X version which is a supermotard/street vesrion which seems kinda odd. Now if you want a big oil/aircooled single lunger you chioces are the DR650 the DR650 or the DR650. The KLR's are avalible here but for whaterever reason never really gianed any ground and pretty much universally hated for having rubbish suspension athough the DR isn't a lot better. I think to make a serious off roader guzzi really has to ditch the engine layout and probally the shaft drive. Maybe touring bike with a detuned aprilia 550 twin in it would be the go.

Ktm's otherwise know as Kost Too Much have always been pretty average in the reliablity stakes fast when they are running and while they a new but it drops off pretty quickly after a couple of years. Parts are horendously expensive/hard to get too. The factory dakar guys usally have the mechanic throwing a new motor at the bike every night or occasionally every couple of nights.

The stevio I'm still kinda keen on I will need to see one and ride one to be sure its not a must have first one out of the factory machine have we heard anything further? The Australin guzzi imported was saying how he is expecting Guzzi to outstrip aprilia in the motorcycle sales soonish (athough I suspect that doens't include Aprilia scooters).

Guest Mattress

Uh, am I the only one that thinks its ugly? Is anyone else mystified by this new trend of funky sharp lines and triangular surfaces? Whats going on? My co-worker is a ducati guy and we are on the same page. He thinks the new duc super-moto will be pretty fugly in the flesh. And that new KTM, that thing looks like it was run-over by the ugly truck, and then the driver got out of his rig and wailed on it with his ugly stick.

Has every company gone off and recruited ex-BMW stylists?

I have a hard enough time accepting the air-box dictated bulbous tanks.

Truly, taking something meant to be rugged and trying to make it pretty is like putting make-up on Army Rangers.

It comes out weird looking and pisses off the Ranger.

Guest ratchethack

Truly, taking something meant to be rugged and trying to make it pretty is like putting make-up on Army Rangers.

It comes out weird looking and pisses off the Ranger.

I s'pose that's mostly true. :unsure:

But these days, seems at least a few wouldn't put up as much of a fight as others (so to speak) . . . :grin:

post-1212-1180746433.jpg

I s'pose that's mostly true. :unsure:

But these days, seems at least a few wouldn't put up as much of a fight as others (so to speak) . . . :grin:

:doh::blush:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest h8chains

Before I purchased my GS, I found it ugly, and still ugly. It only took me 1 ride to like it, the truth is it's all about the ride. If the Stelvio been around in the last 2 years, I would want one.

I'm eagerly waiting for the new Stelvio!

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, am I the only one that thinks its ugly? Is anyone else mystified by this new trend of funky sharp lines and triangular surfaces? Whats going on? My co-worker is a ducati guy and we are on the same page. He thinks the new duc super-moto will be pretty fugly in the flesh. And that new KTM, that thing looks like it was run-over by the ugly truck, and then the driver got out of his rig and wailed on it with his ugly stick.

Has every company gone off and recruited ex-BMW stylists?

I have a hard enough time accepting the air-box dictated bulbous tanks.

You are not alone. I keep pointing out to my friends on the LABiker listserve that we (well, some of us) lived thru this once before, & the "origami in steel & plastic" was just as fugly back in the 80s as it is now. :glare:

Fortunately, I think this is just a "nostalgia" fad [note the 20 year cycle] that will fade just as fast as we get this live action cartoon Transformers film dealt with this summer. They stole all the styling cues for this nonsense back in the 80s from the cartoons, & once the movie has cycled thru its release, this resurgence of bad taste will get old quickly & we can get back to some more classic lines... IhopeIhopeIhopeOhPlease!!! :notworthy:

With each photo I see, the new KLR650 is looking better & better.

So is the Sherco 4.5, Gas Gas 450FSE, and assuming I live long enough to see one in the flesh, the KTM 690 Adventure.

If it's of any interest, I have also been trying to get the ideal 'dual sport' balance. Off road and decent long distance, well they do it on the Dakar but they are so focused. My efforts are recorded (somewhat long winded) on this thread Highland experiences. It would be good to hear what you experienced gentlemen think. I tried something different. -_-