spring failure in tranny

kevdog3019

Just happened after 27000 miles. Spring let go and stuck in first. Luckily it was the first ride since getting home from our 1800 mile jaunt around WV, KY,NC,SC the 6 days before. I brought a spring and directions along in case. Wasn't sure with my '03 if I had the wrong boss...now I know.

Just happened after 27000 miles. Spring let go and stuck in first. Luckily it was the first ride since getting home from our 1800 mile jaunt around WV, KY,NC,SC the 6 days before. I brought a spring and directions along in case. Wasn't sure with my '03 if I had the wrong boss...now I know.

After 27,000 miles!

Did you have the wrong boss? I just bought a sping from cannon racecrafters to carry with me just in case.

I'm thinking I have the wrong boss, but not sure yet. Do these things generally break with the right boss size (15mm)? It's at the shop and we ordered a new boss so it's there when it's torn apart.

Guest ratchethack

Kev, IIRC, there hasn't been a single spring breakage reported with the 15 mm boss. :sun:

Guest ratchethack

John, I can't state this with 100% confidence, but as I recall, the serial numbers potentially having the 16 mm boss were for earlier years. I don't know of any '04's, including my Pal's LM, that had the 16 mm boss. There are some posts and maybe some entire topics on this, but not likely easy to nail down with a search. . . -_-

My boss isn't wrapped too tight.

Quasi,

zat yer boss in the avatar, there? She looks wrapped a little tight to me . . .

G'day everyone,

I think some transmissions may have a the right boss size but have a problem with the pawl arm spring interfering with the return lever spring underneath it.

The end locating tab of the pawl arm spring was catching on the straight part of the return spring underneath it. Some may not have this problem as the tab may be shorter, or the return spring underneath is installed flipped over which lowers the arm away from the tab of the pawl arm spring.

My return spring has a bright wear mark on it where the pawl arm spring tab has been catching as i change gears. This may also add to resistance and increase chance of false neutrals downshifting that i have when moving along at a quick pace from corner to corner. the wear mark/resistance is on downshifts only and this for me is the direction i have had false neutrals in.

The catching of the spring may relate to the different failures- large boss with coil bind breaking earlier while a catching spring wearing and snapping at the end later.

This inteference of the spring can be easing fixed by shortening the tab or by flipping the lever return spring over. i decided to shorten the tab in case i didnt appreciate some reason for the original orientation of the return spring underneath.

Regards

Bruce

ps. My boss is 15mm

I changed my spring as a preemptive strike, so I wouldn't have to do it alongside the road somewhere. I have the 16mm boss, but the clearance of my replacement spring on the 16 is greater than the clearance of the original spring would have been on a 15mm, so I didn't change the boss. There is no chance of binding.

I am too cheap to spend $78 for a shift pawl arm unless I needed it.

It is indeed a 15mm boss and newer looking spring (if there ever was an update to it along the way). Evidently there was another spring at some point and that also was updated (looks different anyhow). The spring let go somewhere in the middle, not the dogleg. We are looking to see if there is some other way to remedy this before they put it together tomorrow with OEM spring. So far the shop and I have no ideas. Anyone have an idea before tomorrow?

Thanks!