MPH Bar Risers---what you already knew or suspected

stormsedge

• 2 weeks later...

I would go with the MATRA foot peg mod not the Moto BITS. My friend just swapped his Moto Bits for the MATRA because they A) weren't nearly forward enough in comparison B) Use an extra linkage in the shifter mechanism that adds more play and longer throw. In essence it adds a linkage to the exhisting linkage. I have both MPH risers and MATRA mod. and it's as comfortable as the NORGE now, but retains the Sport. Look under technical topics to read up on the MATRA footpeg mod.

-Kev

I would go with the MATRA foot peg mod not the Moto BITS. My friend just swapped his Moto Bits for the MATRA because they A) weren't nearly forward enough in comparison B) Use an extra linkage in the shifter mechanism that adds more play and longer throw. In essence it adds a linkage to the exhisting linkage. I have both MPH risers and MATRA mod. and it's as comfortable as the NORGE now, but retains the Sport. Look under technical topics to read up on the MATRA footpeg mod.

-Kev

The MOTRA kit is a nice looking, well machined product. It looks to be too far forward for my taste though. Seems like you would be in too much if a jack-knife position. The Motobits moves down & forward just enough for more legroom but still keeps your feet under you. About the shift action, my shift throw is shorter and more precise than stock with the Motobits stuff. There is no extra linkage and if you adjust it so the angles (link to lever) are at 90 degrees the action is very good. (Tip from Greg Field)

I found the MPH risers too Lego-like for my tastes not to mention pricey for what you get.. The Convertibars are a nicer set-up IMHO and afford a greater range of adjustibility whike allowing you to retain the lemans fairing if you have one.

Maybe I was wrong about the extra linkage on the Motobits, however, I guess it must be set up as stated. I have tried both and noticed a significant difference in sloppage on the Motobits. As for the foot forward aspect. The only real difference between the two is that your pelvis is in more of a state of lordosis (bucket tipping forward) on the motobits. With your feet more below you (neutral position) your pelvis is less thrust into the crotch where the tank and seat meet. You also have a little less weight on your palms the more your feet are under you as opposed to behind you. They are still slightly behind you with the Motobits. It's about the same on your palms as the Norge...your knees as well. The "scissors" aspect of your body position is about the same as the Norge as well (with bar risers on the Lemans). I think the Norge is a touring bike so if you don't like long miles of comfort don't get the Matra pegs. :nerd:

. The "scissors" aspect of your body position is about the same as the Norge as well (with bar risers on the Lemans). I think the Norge is a touring bike so if you don't like long miles of comfort don't get the Matra pegs. :nerd:

I think the LeMans is a sporting bike. Having my feet under me makes it easier to keep my weight on the balls of my feet when I move around on the seat during more aggressive riding. If my feet were more in front of me I think I'd have much less control. It is still plenty comfortable for long rides but maintains a semi sporty riding position.

If I need more legroom than that, I'll just ride an actual touring bike instead :D

BTW kevdog, where about in Michigan are you? My friends & I head up along Lake Michigan on some summer sunday rides.

Dan,

I'm in Grand Rapids, though grew up on the coast in Grand Haven. I'll tell you what you should do: Since you ride on Sundays up this way, you will HAVE to stop by a biker gathering every Sunday every week of the year at a coffee house in GR. It is not a HD biker thing, but rather an eclectic group of bikers, however, about every Guzzi person in town shows his face. Sometimes we have 6-8 Guzzi's. We call it "Bike Church" because it meets on Sundays, but has nothing to do with church...just an alternative to real church. We have two sides of the street full of every bike you can imagine. Some folks have $$$ so even new MG Agusta's rear their heads. If you're ever interested in meeting great folks and having a ball, as well as catching breakfast or just coffee, let me know.

-Kevin

Dan,

I'm in Grand Rapids, though grew up on the coast in Grand Haven. I'll tell you what you should do: Since you ride on Sundays up this way, you will HAVE to stop by a biker gathering every Sunday every week of the year at a coffee house in GR. It is not a HD biker thing, but rather an eclectic group of bikers, however, about every Guzzi person in town shows his face. Sometimes we have 6-8 Guzzi's. We call it "Bike Church" because it meets on Sundays, but has nothing to do with church...just an alternative to real church. We have two sides of the street full of every bike you can imagine. Some folks have $$$ so even new MG Agusta's rear their heads. If you're ever interested in meeting great folks and having a ball, as well as catching breakfast or just coffee, let me know.

-Kevin

Sounds cool Kev, I'm near the IL/IN border so about 175 miles away. I'll keep in touch as the riding season nears.

While I'm apart for winter maintenance, thought I'd share this. Previous owner of my '02 LeMans was a machinist who said he made these risers. I haven't seen any like them, and they are pretty slick. These are shown at max rise unless I get longer cables, but its plenty for me (6'2"). Perhaps someone here would like the heartache of a limited production run? Perhaps Pete would like a longer slip for his yacht? (I'm new to photos - hope this comes through)

While I'm apart for winter maintenance, thought I'd share this. Previous owner of my '02 LeMans was a machinist who said he made these risers. I haven't seen any like them, and they are pretty slick. These are shown at max rise unless I get longer cables, but its plenty for me (6'2"). Perhaps someone here would like the heartache of a limited production run? Perhaps Pete would like a longer slip for his yacht? (I'm new to photos - hope this comes through)

Those are really nice LD! The guy who made them really knew what he was doing. They're very similar to the ones shown here, but I think yours look a lot better with the 2 bolt pinch clamp instead of 4 bolts. I was thinking of having a set like that made but I seriously doubt those could be reproduced for less money than Twisted Throttle is asking for theirs. Swapping the stock mounts around to get the bars closer to the rider is clever too.

You know I haven't seeen many other Guzzis - so if I'm being silly I apologize. I understand this setup to be a combination of reversing the stock bar clamp to get them closer, and the adjustable riser bit. Also - I was incorrect - this is closer to minimum rise, not maximum. I lowered them after I dropped the pegs and changed back to a stock saddle. Anyway its an example of what can be done if you've an eye for detail, access to proper tools, and a wallet to cover the anodizing.