Stucci cross over install

Guest JEB758

Guest JEB758

I bought a Stucci Cross over for my 2002 Scura and the install of the cross over was easy enough but on my 02 Scura there is a black plastic container bolted to an aluminum bracket which was bolted to the factory cross over. Is this the Charcoal filter I recall reading something about several months ago?

But now that I have the Stucci installed I can’t seem to make the black plastic container bolted to the aluminum bracket to re-install with the factory bracket or the bracket supplied with the cross over.

I have the CD-ROM shop manual for the V11's and this part is not shown in the picture of the cross over.

Did anyone else have this problem and if you did can you give me any suggestions on how to correct it?

J.Bee

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like it is time to remove the charcoal canister, I believe only the California models have the canister. I will be installing the Stucchi crossover as well and will be removing the charcoal canister when I do. :D

Mike

Guest JEB758

What is the purpose/function of the charcoal canister? And once removed are there any noticeable mechanical differences in the engine?

If it doesn't serve any mechanical purpose I will be removing everything in the morning.

J.Bee

The charcoal canister is there to draw gasoline vapors that would be normally vented to the atmosphere. The vapor is stored in the canister until the engine is running. The vacuum of the engine then will pull the gas vapor out of the canister thus saving the earth. :o When I remove the canisters, I box them up and store them in the garage for safe keeping. Just incase California starts to do emission checks on motorcycles.

Mike

• 3 years later...

The charcoal canister is there to draw gasoline vapors that would be normally vented to the atmosphere. The vapor is stored in the canister until the engine is running. The vacuum of the engine then will pull the gas vapor out of the canister thus saving the earth. :o When I remove the canisters, I box them up and store them in the garage for safe keeping. Just incase California starts to do emission checks on motorcycles.

Mike

I know this is an old topic, but I just removed my charcoal filter also. THere is a vacum tube that runs up, then splits, then enters the pipe just in front of the throttle bodies. I pulled the tubes off, and there is a little brass nozzle that they were mounted to. What have people done about those two brass nozzles? Just leave them as-is?

Stucci x-over feels great so far!

Guest ratchethack

PShenk, congrat's on y'er Stucchi x-over install. I think mine's the dog's danglies. Sounds like you might've had an easier time installing it than I did. Like many others, mine wasn't any too "straight". <_<

You can cap off the barbs on the manifolds with vacuum line caps available at any auto parts outlet. Some run a vacuum tube between 'em. They're used to balance the TBs. ;)

PShenk, congrat's on y'er Stucchi x-over install. I think mine's the dog's danglies. Sounds like you might've had an easier time installing it than I did. Like many others, mine wasn't any too "straight". <_>

You can cap the barbs on the manifolds off with vacuum line caps available at any auto parts outlet. Some run a vacuum tube between 'em. They're used to balance the TBs. ;)

Thanks Ratchet. I haven't taken it for a long ride yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Now, with all the intake and exhaust mods I've made, I guess some kind of ECU work will help. I'm currently reading threads for info on the options.

Yeah, mine went on easy. I took everything off from headers back. I was worried about the charcoal canister, the hard metal vent tube that loops up through the gap in the x-over was getting in the way. It was a relief to just take that whole mess out. The tube to the tank wasn't even connected anyway... it kept slipping off the nipple.

So yours was bent? What did you do, bend it into shape? That sucks.

Guest Nogbad

Mike

The only way of checking for that kind of emission is to repeat the environmental chamber test used for the original type approval. Presence or absence of the canister wouldn't change the pipe emissions with the engine running, so the only way for the nanny state enviro-police to get you would be at the annual check where the equipment could be visually checked for presence. For roadside checks they would have to have all the manuals and well trained inspectors who know what to look for.

It's all crazy. Just one guy slopping the petrol clumsily into his lawnmower probably puts more VOC into the air than all California's Guzzis put together.

It's all crazy. Just one guy slopping the petrol clumsily into his lawnmower probably puts more VOC into the air than all California's Guzzis put together.

Yeah, it's true. On the bright side, nobody checks these things for bikes. And we seem to get away with louder pipes than you. Isn't there pending legislation in GB banning loud exhausts?

BTW, is that bung on the crossover for an O2 sensor?

Yeah, it's true. On the bright side, nobody checks these things for bikes. And we seem to get away with louder pipes than you. Isn't there pending legislation in GB banning loud exhausts?

BTW, is that bung on the crossover for an O2 sensor?

Errrrr...... there already is legislation banning loud pipes, but some Police Forces are cracking down on it. It's good to know that these Forces have stopped all murders, thefts, assults etc. which means that they can spare manpower to deal with these dangerous criminals who have loud pipes!!

• 2 months later...

Please clarify. My canister has two tubes running upward. One tee's off to each throttle body, the other larger tube run on the frame under the seat and disappears under the tank. Where does it go, and what do I do with this when removed? I plan on connecting the throttle bodies with a venting line to balance them. But an uncertian of this larger line. Help please.

Also.... this removal will in no way alter the performance / running of my bike... right? No adjustment necessary? Please confirm. Thanks...

Others may have done it differently but....

I removed the whole setup that ran to the throttle bodies and then simply connected the two throttle body connectors together with a length of vacuum hose. The one that runs up under the tank I left basically in place in case I overfill the tank or something it will drain onto the ground below the bike. I just lashed the hose into place behind the crossover.

R

Others may have done it differently but....

I removed the whole setup that ran to the throttle bodies and then simply connected the two throttle body connectors together with a length of vacuum hose. The one that runs up under the tank I left basically in place in case I overfill the tank or something it will drain onto the ground below the bike. I just lashed the hose into place behind the crossover.

R

Thanks for the quick reply. Just as I suspected... but wanted to be certain of the tuning air flow issues.

You would think that some air is drawn into the throttle bodies thru the stck canister set-up and when its bypassed some intake airflow will be lost (althought very slight). So no retuning is necessary after the removal? Correct?