Holy Crap I didnt realize how heavy my bike was!!

RichPugh

Man... I knew over 500lbs wet was heavy but until I sat on a clients Ducati (He claims it is a 620 frame with a 900 engine bored to over 1000cc, removed oil coolers, etc... blah blah blah, says it runs 7's in the quarter LOL... I didnt want to argue) I never realized how heavy my bike felt! Holy crap, that Ducati was like a motocross bike! I want one now for fun locall inner city riding! He said it was close to 300lbs. The 620 weighed 370 dry and he says with all the weight saved from removing oil coolers, carbon swapped parts etc, its around 300. I couldnt believe how friggin light it was. if I can on get one and it's even remotely close to feeling as light as his, I think I will be adding a Monster to my collection LOL

NO,NO,

You did it all wrong, you ride this first, THEN your Guzzi feels like a light weight........ :grin:

150_5019ROAD_KING.JPG

Guest NotRight

I may be wrong, but the crankcase casting and probably trans too look mostly unchanged since I was in a diaper siting on the gas tank of my uncles eldorado.. maybe not that bad...

But with some resources ($$$) a tweak of alloy and some FEA I bet you could get a lot of weight out. Its only a guess. I have only seen pictures of the inside of the crankcase. But I am a crankcase designer for diesels. I see savings.

Also the crank kind of looks like it came out of a tractor or one of our diesels. Probably lots of other low hanging fruit.

But, I do respect the engineering. They are bomb proof. That is the same philosophy our company has. I asked an old timer how often we have cranks or blocks fail in the field. He didn't remember any at all. NOt broken anyway. TOrched bearings sure.

hmmm both guzzi and my company have an agricultrual background.........

I'm a big guy with some pretty hefty lifting ability and the 1st day I had this bike, I leaned it to the left, stopped, on a 'not fully extended' stand and about dumped it completely... but with enough brute strength, lifted it with only the bar end mirror touching lightly. It was that day I realized this was no feather. I guess I just never realized it LOL. Ultimately, until I swayed that Ducati back and forth between my legs with NO hands on the bars, I never realized how heavy my V11 Sport was. It makes me feel like more of a man haha.

185kg = approx 408lbs.

So you have about 115lbs to find.

Wheels/discs will probably account for quite a few, smaller battery the same. Ti exhaust will add probably the same amount of lightness as each of the previous. I suspect in those three things alone you will have saved the majority of the weight. But then it gets difficult......

Internal mods; bigger holes, lighter flywheel?

Helium in the tyres?

It might be doable if he claims dry weight.

He just has to go from a claimed dry weight of 221 kg down to 185 kg.

Not a small feat, but much more reasonable than dropping from ~240kg down to 185kg.

Mal weighed his V11 Le Mans at the MOT station yesterday. It was in standard trim except aluminium luggage rack, pod filters (no airbox) and Stucchi X Over.

Result- 260kgs. I would imagine that with the airbox it would have been slightly heavier.

Guy :helmet:

Mal weighed his V11 Le Mans at the MOT station yesterday. It was in standard trim except aluminium luggage rack, pod filters (no airbox) and Stucchi X Over.

Result- 260kgs. I would imagine that with the airbox it would have been slightly heavier.

Guy :helmet:

:o

How full was his gas tank?

I hope that it was full.

But 260kgs wet, I think there is probably no way this SuperLight Scura owner could have gotten the weight down to 185kg wet.

185kg must be a dry weight number. Even still, very impressive that he got the weight down that low. :bier:

I think there is probably no way this SuperLight Scura owner could have gotten the weight down to 185kg wet.

He might have removed the footbrake lever ;)

He might have removed the footbrake lever ;)

And he probably doesn't even have a starter motor nor a tool kit for it stored up his axle. :moon:

By the way, thanks for clarifying everything in that other thread before things got too crazy.

I thought about putting a counter balance on my brake and gearshift to keep them neutral during bums bumps, but then I figured it would make the bike too heavy.

So, a spring may be in order for the brake foot lever, even if it is not a problem.

A counter balance on the shifter could result in sweeter downshifts.

My last liter bike weighed 650 pounds (295 kg). Now that was a heavy MF! I have a lighter bike at 359 pounds dry (163 kg), but enjoy the Guzzi much more in real riding past trucks and in gusty weather. Just enough ballast not to be fighting the elements.

Not a Tiny Dancer though. :P