146 hp Buell-Rotax-water cooled V-twin

orangeokie

Did you see the specs? 375 pounds and 146 hp - even dry and measured at the crank, you're still talking a competitive bike, with all the handling all the frame geometry on the Buell contributes. Pretty exciting really. Wonder which motor - doesn't look like the LC8, and I wonder if they're going to race it? A friend was the manager of the VR team. I'll look into it and report.

If they could just make a SportTourer out of it and raise the torque, handlebars and windscreen, lower the foot pegs and HP, and lengthen the wheelbase, they might make a buyer out of me.

Of course I could just get a "Big Bore" engine kit for my V11 and spend thousands of dollars bringing the weight down. :mg:

Good for them! I won't be buying one but I hope they sell a bunch.

I agree Dave, a sport tourer with that engine would be great.

GF, it's not the Aprilia engine, it's all new.

FWIW those mirrors look like they might bolt up to the Lemans fairing if anyone wanted indicators on their mirrors. They would probably give you just as good a view of your elbows as the stock ones. I'm sticking with the Buell long stalk mirrors since I like being able to see what's behind me...

I like it, fairing looks a little Yamaha like though, not a bad thing just not original.

Now if only MG would buy the Rotax motor and mount it transversely to create the new V-1125 :lol:

My take is that with the Fisher, SV 650 engine since they could not source their original choice of an Aprilia engine, and the Roer with the Vrod engine, the competition for a competitive American based sportbike was getting too close to home and Buell had to pull the trigger. I like it and also hope there are more rational spin off models to follow.

My take on a Harley sportbike:

Guest Nogbad

I think I'm going for one. I put my name down at the local H-D place for a test ride when their demo comes in. They are hinting at a good deal on trading my XB12 so here's hoping it isn't a fuel guzzling dipsoid sportsbike in the Aprilia mould.

Website specs look promising...let's hope it delivers. I might not like this bike exactly, but if it sells well enough the Ulysses could end up w/ a similar motor. Now that could be fun... :thumbsup:

Japan,Ducati,H-D,Buell,...Guzzi?

Will Guzzi be the last to get on the 20th century technology band wagon and go liquid-cooled?

This is the direction Guzzi should be looking towards.

I want a Guzzi that will be sexy,up to date technology,competitive power,and NO EXCUSES quality.Looks like Buell reached for most of these goals,QC TBD...

I dont mind paying a premium for a unique,quality,work of art motorcycle,but it has to compete in the market.70 year old design ,air-cooled mud pumps, dont inspire people to shell out 15k or more for a bike these days.

It's your move Guzzi,..

Hey I'm doing my best to make this marriage work.I may have to get a VFR or Ducati and fool around on her with the Guzzi.

Will Guzzi be the last to get on the 20th century technology band wagon and go liquid-cooled?...

I want a Guzzi that will be sexy,up to date technology,competitive power,and NO EXCUSES quality....

I dont mind paying a premium for a unique,quality,work of art motorcycle,but it has to compete in the market.70 year old design ,air-cooled mud pumps, dont inspire people to shell out 15k or more for bike these days....

Guzzi apparently realizes that they at least need to go to 4v heads so that their motors will breathe well enough near redline that they don't look too horrible on paper [spec sheet.]

But that's part of why Guzzi owners tend to be of the older, more experienced type of biker: by a certain point, you no longer buy a bike by comparing spec sheets, but by whether or not they work in the real world.

Guzzis have always had nice real world power, w/ that meaty midrange. 4v heads will only improve on this. Water-cooling helps pass the various noise & emission certifications, so they may have to go that route eventually, but BMW has managed to dodge that bullet so far w/ their flat twins, so maybe Guzzi can delay the inevitable for a while longer too. Simplicity has its virtues.

Ride on!

:bike:

...the competition for a competitive American based sportbike was getting too close to home and Buell had to pull the trigger.

You don't really think Buell was "responding to pressure" "domestic sportsbikes", do you ???

I mean, what kinda volume are they doing ??? Buell probably does more in a week than those do in a year...

Buell is going superbike racing with the new bike. The cometition is from Japan and Italy, not the USA...

:huh: