Checklist for buying a used Lemans?

radiowazee

Hola Lemans experts --

Other than typical checks one would make before buying any used bike (general mechanical, see if its been raced, down, etc. maintenance, etc. etc.) -- are there some guzzi/lemans specific items I should check when evaluating a used Lemans?

I took a look at the FAQ posting on common problems -- didn't see anything specific to the LeMans or the 2003/2004 model year. Was hoping you kind folks might have some additional items for me to check out.

I know about the engine paint issue -- what other recall/warranty repairs should I ask about. What other "known" gremlins/issues should I look for? Are there any "must do" replacements/repairs or improvements folks make to the bikes that I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Howard

Thanks for the welcome ... while we wait for the experts to wake up, a couple other Lemans/V11 questions:

Tell me about the first service -- when is that due, what should have been done. What's the service schedule for the first 6000 miles?

Can I do most of the service myself -- from the looks of things, everything looks to be in easy reach! :)

Radiowazee, let's say....welcome on this forum.

You must wait a minute, 'cos the :notworthy: greatest of this forum aren't awake yet.

Ratch or Dave!!!

Guest ratchethack

Howard, there's the usual V11 stuff, and then there's the list o' stuff that's specific to the '03 LM -- only a few of which I'm semi-sorely familiar with. :whistle: I have a riding buddy who has an '03 LM, and while I've logged a fair amount of both wrench time and a little riding time on it, I defer to far greater authorities than meself (the woods 'r full of 'em hereabouts), not having been thru one anywhere nearly stem to stern, as I have on my Sport. -_-

Now Dave also has a Sport, but I'll bet he's got a comment or 2 anyway. . . ;)

Hola Lemans experts --

Other than typical checks one would make before buying any used bike (general mechanical, see if its been raced, down, etc. maintenance, etc. etc.) -- are there some guzzi/lemans specific items I should check when evaluating a used Lemans?

I took a look at the FAQ posting on common problems -- didn't see anything specific to the LeMans or the 2003/2004 model year. Was hoping you kind folks might have some additional items for me to check out.

I know about the engine paint issue -- what other recall/warranty repairs should I ask about. What other "known" gremlins/issues should I look for? Are there any "must do" replacements/repairs or improvements folks make to the bikes that I should look for?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Howard

Welcome ,

03-34 models don"t have engine paint problems (....so far, my experience).

Some minor things that can go ...( happened to me ) ...wrong:

Tacho cable breaks often if you don" lubricate it (it is short and the angle..... is shittttttttt)

check for air leak from front crossover , easy to fix but bad design...

If the bike is standard (no mods), and somebody changed the oil frequently, you are OK.

Don"t worry so much about problems.Bad things MAY happen to any bike from any factory.

My theory is that I prefer to pay fixing a GUZZI(..although I didn"t have problems..), than some other bike.

IF YOU LIKE THE GUZZI BUY IT, AND ENJOY... :D

I'm guessing he meant speedo cable. I know someone with a Ballabio and it tends to break speedo cables. Bad angle coming out of the trans and bad routing.

The '03 and '04 are surely the best sorted of the series. Greg says the speedo cable trouble has been superseded with a new part.

Still, any Guzzi is like having a relationship more than buying and having a 'thing.' :mg: