New Griso 1200 4V spotted at Mandello

1100sport

Yeah, I've wondered about that. The Dyntec motors making more HP than the MGS-01 have an amazing life span, dozens going over 60,000 km already with zero problems. I wonder what the MGS would be like in a streetbike environment.

Regardless, there's a new 4v-head motor around, and it IS a streetbike motor, and would be easy enough to stuff in that bike.

dk

Did you say Dynotec ? Temepted to go this way myself.

Do you have Dynotec tunned one?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest drknow

Did you say Dynotec ? Temepted to go this way myself.

Do you have Dynotec tunned one?

I wish. I sure hope they utilize the MGS-01 when they finally make a new "sport" model with this 8v motor...

I wish. I sure hope they utilize the MGS-01 when they finally make a new "sport" model with this 8v motor...

I hope they so a sport model that Guzzi always had in their list. Refardless the PS it is the style and the chasis that Guzzis always shine

Guest enrIK0

I always knew that there was some perversity in Guzzi :grin: ,is it that's why we get them :whistle:

It's what we call the "Mandello Insanity": whoever comes to work at Mandello site, after a while starts doing strange and weird thing, whatever are his experiences or abilities... We're still wondering if it's a matter of air or water pollution... :P

Iko

Guest Nogbad

Buell 1125r -- or a four-valve Griso?

Decisions.....

New air cooled 4V hi cam is still a derivative motor of a very old design, so Guzzi are STILL doing the H-D thing with their bikes, however much they dress it as all new. The Buell is a purer and more focussed approach as they have lobbed tradition right out of the window and gone with w/c and modernity. Whether you prefer that is up to you. I still can't decide. You are not comparing apples with apples here.

:2c: Slap a good looking quarter fairing and a non-gargantuan exhaust on the 1200 8 valve greaser and call it a V12 LeMans! :bier:

As if the V11 LeMans wasn't long enough.....

Does the world need a bike called "LeMans" with the 61.2-inch wheelbase of a Griso ???

I'm thinking the chassis specs of the MGS/01 would be a better deal for a sporting Guzzi...

index18fa8c93oh5.jpg

Stick that motor into the bike in the foreground ... re-release it ... and voila! The most beautiful Guzzi ever with a 90 RWHP motor.

Do an MGS 01 if ya' want, but that 4 valve in a re-released "spot" or "sport i" would be a worthy "step up" successor to the V-11.

If guzzi did their work properly, then this is the biggest new thing in very a long time. They listened to the hard to change guzzi owners, who can't see a guzzi other than an aircooled v twin. So this is the best they can make in the air cooled vtwin, with an old looking engine. What you all want. This engine might be the engine in all big guzzis in the end. Like BMW did.

I suppose they show it at the GMG

If guzzi did their work properly, then this is the biggest new thing in very a long time. They listened to the hard to change guzzi owners, who can't see a guzzi other than an aircooled v twin. So this is the best they can make in the air cooled vtwin, with an old looking engine. What you all want. This engine might be the engine in all big guzzis in the end. Like BMW did.

I suppose they show it at the GMG

Paul, I agree this may be the motor that keeps Moto Guzzi in the air cooled game for awhile. That's why I'd like to see them put it into something beautiful and sporty - but not something (read MGS 01) expensive and styled to look like a Ducati 1098 hunter, which it can never be with an air cooled motor.

An updated sport i with the new air cooled 4 valve would suit me just fine.

Guzzi'll need to go to the Aprila liquid cooled V twin if they want the MGS 01 to be more than a niche ride. But if they go liquid cooled, how do they justify the transverse layout? Increasingly I'm seeing the air cooled MGS 01 as an answer to a question very few are asking. I know you managed to roll your own (American colloquial term) and It's beautiful. I'd kill to own one. But as a viable mass produced air cooled member of the line up, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Stick that motor into the bike in the foreground ... re-release it ... and voila! The most beautiful Guzzi ever with a 90 RWHP motor.

Do an MGS 01 if ya' want, but that 4 valve in a re-released "spot" or "sport i" would be a worthy "step up" successor to the V-11.

:stupid::bier::P::food::notworthy::thumbsup:

My god, I do love the 1100 Spot/Sporti/Daytona RS' looks. Marabese hit that peak & then fell off a cliff to provide us w/ the nadir of their efforts, the Centauro. [sigh] Love the Centauro for what it is [the Guzzi 4v w/ comfortable ergos], not how it looks. (But then, anyone who's been here awhile knows that about me already!)

;)

Would really, really love to see a revamped/reconceived "everyday" sports machine from Guzzi w/ the new 4v a la' Pierre's suggestion, vs. a MGS-01 Strada variant (as good looking as the MGS is, I still like the mid-90s Sport/Daytona more. Classic beauty vs. tres courant; the former wins every time, & should be Guzzi's only goal when forging their designs.)

Regardless, I can't wait for Guzzi to bring this new 4v design to market, so we can see what it's really like!

:2c:

Guest drknow

Paul, I agree this may be the motor that keeps Moto Guzzi in the air cooled game for awhile. That's why I'd like to see them put it into something beautiful and sporty - but not something (read MGS 01) expensive and styled to look like a Ducati 1098 hunter, which it can never be with an air cooled motor.

An updated sport i with the new air cooled 4 valve would suit me just fine.

Guzzi'll need to go to the Aprila liquid cooled V twin if they want the MGS 01 to be more than a niche ride. But if they go liquid cooled, how do they justify the transverse layout? Increasingly I'm seeing the air cooled MGS 01 as an answer to a question very few are asking. I know you managed to roll your own (American colloquial term) and It's beautiful. I'd kill to own one. But as a viable mass produced air cooled member of the line up, I don't think it's ever going to happen.

Pierre, ya know I love ya, but I'm gonna say I don't agree. There is a sizable group of people that want an air-cooled bike. Look at the success of the Ducs, the Buells, the BMWs. BMW is selling that R1200S like hot cakes, and is gonna make a R1200 HP2 Sport that's $24,000 and even more trick, but still air cooled. I think the MGS-01 would sell like crazy with that motor in it. Crazy at least for Guzzi, crazy enough to make the bike, as they initially planned back in 2003.

That said, if they make a sport that is light like the beemer and has similar HP, I'll buy it in whatever guise it comes out in.

dk

How 'bout this, fellas ??? Add the 8v mill and viola, a V12 LeMans I could live with !!!:

mgsf.JPG

(yeah, it's a Photochop, but it's one of the better ideas I've seen out there)

That said, if they make a sport that is light like the beemer and has similar HP, I'll buy it in whatever guise it comes out in.

dk

Yea, the trick will be extracting BMW type performance (122 HP) at BMW prices ($14.5 K for the RS). After all, a 122 HP, 400 LB MGS 01 is available right now. It can be made street legal, several on here have done it. Problem IMHO is price of admission, $23 K plus cost of street mods.

I have my fingers crossed for a fire breathin' version of the new motor. But if they bring it in at "only" 100 HP - then I say put it in a spine frame V-11 successor that - as Skeeve put it - has classic beauty with no "race bike" pretensions, and can be sold for V-11 prices. JMHO.

Guest drknow

Yea, the trick will be extracting BMW type performance (122 HP) at BMW prices ($14.5 K for the RS). After all, a 122 HP, 400 LB MGS 01 is available right now. It can be made street legal, several on here have done it. Problem IMHO is price of admission, $23 K plus cost of street mods.

I have my fingers crossed for a fire breathin' version of the new motor. But if they bring it in at "only" 100 HP - then I say put it in a spine frame V-11 successor that - as Skeeve put it - has classic beauty with no "race bike" pretensions, and can be sold for V-11 prices. JMHO.

You soo riiiiiite! If it's only 100hp at the rear wheel, then it's not ready for a battle with the RS. I wonder though, if the first Griso version won't be around a hundred, ala R1200R, then Mandello wil come up with a sport version of the motor and up the ante in the Daytona RS/ MGS-01 Strada replacement bike.

Here's hoping, and crossing all fingers and toes.

I have thought of doing the MGS Conversion more than a few times. If the MGS-01 were available at dealerships in the US like they seem to be in Europe, I'd have to hold my self back the next time I feel flush (who knows when that will be, hahahah).

dk

Pete Roper

Guys, the MGS01 motor is a RACE motor. Go look at the service schedule and expected parts life. You won't like it!

I was under the impression that the MGS-01 Serie (street version) was to use a different motor with around 100hp rather than the Corsa's 120hp or thereabouts. I would think that if the Serie did actually make it to market, that it would be built for street type use with a less of the disposable race bits.

I would also guess that if MG is holding off real production because they're afraid of getting beat up by GSXR's and CBR's and the like, then we'll never have a chance of seeing any real production #'s for the MGS. Very few twins will compete on the same playing field with any of those bikes. Isn't the GSXR 1000 coming out of the box with around 185hp w/160hp or so at the rear wheel and weigh around 380#'s dry? I don't see how any twin is really gonna compete with that.

I think the buyers of the MGS would be buying it for another reason. I think the exclusivity of it, the sexiness of it, and the fabulous power that that V twin makes.

I for one would definitely put myself in line to buy the MGS Serie.

Failing that, I wish that MG would put that sweet 4v motor in the incoming (hopefully) 1200 Sport. That would be a nice match.