Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

All,

I finished up installing the Aprilia Showa forks this morning and with a few borrowed parts from my Aprilia Falco, I was able to take the 00 V11Sport out for a quick 80 mile ride. It has a very compliant ride! :bier: I had set the fork sag to 35mm. and it was very easy to do using the preload adjusters on top of the forks. Both rebound and compression are both adjustable as well to suit your riding style and weight. Front end dive was minimal and rough roads were so much better. Now I can get back to adjusting the rear Penske shock!

I am going for another ride tomorrow, I lowered the rear of the bike 13mm. to slacken the head angle slightly. The head angle was at a quick 24 degrees after the Penske shock and fork upgrade. :bike:

Mike

....awesome Mike :thumbsup:

Great work! :luigi:

You'll have to let us know your thoughts of the Penske versus the Ohlins since you can ride them back-to-back now. I'm still on-the-fence about which to buy.

al

Everthing Al said!

:bier:

• 2 weeks later...

Received my Ducati 999 axle/nut/washer from Fast by Ferracci today, and it fits the forks perfectly. I'll probably try to get the forks installed not this, but next weekend as soon as I get the additional bearing, and middle spacer milled.

The fork model is Ohlins FG313 I'm trying to find out from Ohlins what bike this fork was originally sold to be installed upon, either aftermarket or OEM.

Below are the part numbers for the axle again, and current(9/2003) pricing from FBF. I received the parts in about 4 days(I sure wish MG were this efficient :rolleyes: )

81910431A FRONT WHEEL SHAFT 999 $82.50

74810141A WHEEL PIN NU $8.83

800070119 WASHER $1.48

Thanks Victor! B)

al

.... so I'm interested what lindeman thinks about the springs. And if he can see what rate are in?

But I first will try how it is, before changing.

There is a number in the inside of the brake mounting point, with that you should be able t source the forks, but It's no afteramket ohlins, because they only sell them with the sort of brake mounts that you can detach.

My forks were in new condition, no schratch at all!

If I recall, the springs as delivered were .95Kg(I think I have the nomenclature for the rate correct, I'm going from memory), so they probably would have been passable for my weight. But based upon my weight with the bike's, he recommended a 1.05 spring. Since Ohlins doesn't make a 1.05, he put a 1.00 and 1.10 in each leg.

I must have made an :unsure: face, :lol: as he quickly added that this is perfectly normal to have slightly different rates in either leg, and that many of the race bikes he prepares run this setup to get the right average rate. He assured me that the axle can take that extra ~20lbs of stress and that it wouldn't adversely affect performance, and instead would in fact deliver the correct for my weight 1.05 rate.

I didn't have any revalving done, just springs replaced and oil-level checked/replaced. Lindemann's opinion was that the stock Ohlins valving would probably be more than fine for my style of riding. If not, they can tune it accordingly, but that would be a few more hundred $$. So I'll try this first.

Agreed on the aftermarket vs. OEM assumption. I've also heard from various folks that the aftermarket R&T forks almost always have removeable brake mounts. As mentioned in the post above, the model is FG313, and I've got a note in to Ohlins asking them for which bike these bikes are the original application suspenders.

Also after getting the forks back and letting the nicks "sink in" ... I agree that the few little blemishes aren't noticeable to worry about. I don't think anyone else will notice. As I mentioned, I am a bit "anal" , especially after spending $1300 :P ... and is probably why I noticed at all.

...can't wait to get them installed :thumbsup:

al

Al,

I've seen pictures of cafe sport versions with the hollow axle. Not on the factory pictures. The feet are different from our oem legs, that's the difference with the R&T forks. I think this is a stiffer connection to the calliper. I think about changing the callipers to the newer brembo ones, like on the 999 and rsv-r. The have 4 seperate brake pad, instaed of two. They are cheap from the ducati performance catalog. Much cheaper than bought seperate.

v11 cafe with hollow axcle

Al,

I've seen pictures of cafe sport versions with the hollow axle. Not on the factory pictures. The feet are different from our oem legs, that's the difference with the R&T forks. I think this is a stiffer connection to the calliper. I think about changing the callipers to the newer brembo ones, like on the 999 and rsv-r. The have 4 seperate brake pad, instaed of two. They are cheap from the ducati performance catalog. Much cheaper than bought seperate.

v11 cafe with hollow axcle

Ahh, that looks like them B)

Perhaps these are the OEM Guzzi forks for that bike then :bike: BTW, I am really surprised how light the new axle is. And when I took it out of the package, it simply looked waaaay too big! But it fit just fine. Just an illusion ^_^

So what constitutes "cheap" for the 4-pad calipers you are talking about?

al

Hrmmm, that's actually not too bad Paul. Do they weigh less as well? Personally I don't think I would spring for them right now though, as I've got all the other projects, home and bike, to tie-up first. But this might be a nice, albeit probably unnecessary, upgrade next Spring though :P:

So, back on topic... ^_^ I heard from Ohlins about the FG313:

Hello Al. The FG313 is a 43mm fork, so the standard R & T manual should

be OK. I looked at the spec sheet & it shows it to be for a Moto Guzzi

V11. Standard settings are as follows:

Compression clicker: 12

Rebound clicker: 12

Spring preload: 13mm

Preload range: 0-15mm

Std. spring: 4745-90

Oil level 105mm

Oil type: 1309-01

Hope this helps you. Thank you, Jerry (828)692-4525 ext.1.

...so it indeed seems to be the current Guzzi OEM fork, as pictured on the Cafe Sport.

Link to Ohlins FG43 R&T Fork Page

FG43 Owners Manual in PDF Format

Mystery solved! :thumbsup:

al

Al,

Forks on the Scura are marked FG8470. They may be different to yours, dunno. What interests me is your spec'd oil level of 105 mm (I am assuming this refers to air gap). When I re-sprung forks I left 85mm air gap as per Ohlins specs I have. I was thinking of dropping the level a bit as forks do seem a bit hard. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Cheers, KB, Mid Wales :sun:

Yep, the Scura/Rosso Corsa forks are different, and of the old style Ohlins OEM forks that use the solid "screw-in" axle(like on the Marzocchi forks) as Mike Stewart described a few posts back. Also, the specs on the Scura Ohlins that I just looked up specify a 40mm fork. This new fork is 43mm. That would certainly affect volumetric specification differences I'm sure.

But yeah, bottom line.... these are different forks than on the Scura/Rosso, so I would assume different specs :luigi:

al

My 03 Rosso has 43mm Ohlins forks, I thought all Ohlins RT forks were 43mm? Any Scura owners want to measure? Well off to packing and loading my bike up, I am leaving for San Diego tomorrow a Guzzi Rally. Humm, I wonder if I can fit my laptop. :pic:

Al,

I will machine the front axle spacers and replace your wheel bearings when I return! :thumbsup:

Mike

I believe ya on the Rosso being 43mm, as I thought it was as well ^_^ But as you point out, it also has the old-style "screw-in" axle. So apparently the Rosso Corsa has forks sort of "in-between" the development from the ones on the Scura, and the ones we have from the Cafe Sport. But all the specs from the Scura seem to indicate a 40mm fork???

Scura Specs

al