Hollow front axle?

Guest Jaap

Guest Brian Robson

For those of you installing aftermarket forks; don't most race forks (certainly Ohlins) use alloy internals? And would these not degrade the oil quicker than steel internals?

I think that Ohlins recommend fork fluid changes every 5,000Km or less.

I have a mix of envy/admiration for those of you with both the time and disposable income to make the vast array of modifications proposed on this and other sites.

Al,

Scura forks are 43mm.

They look same as yours, save for the axle bore.

Anyone tell me is Kg same as N/mm, ie. is 10Kg spring same as 10N/mm?

Thanks, KB, hmmm, looks like rain...

:sun:

I'll take your word for it that they are 43mm inner slider :D

.... I guess unsurprisingly all the spec sheets online for the Scura were just cut/pasted from the standard Sport/LeMans data sheet, other than simply mentioning "Ohlins" :huh2:

al

• 2 weeks later...

Al, all I could find in my Sport manual were the standard values by diameter in mm:

4mm 3-3.5 Nm

5x0.8 6-7

6x1 8-12

8x1.25 25-30

10x1.5 45-50

:luigi::luigi::luigi:

Tight enough that the bolts wont come loose and loose enough that the bolts wont snap. :P

The best way for tightning bolts is by bolt stretch not by torque. :blink:

But the easiest way is by torque.

Humm, maybe a light torque with loctite! :bier:

I thought I would throw in anothe wrench! :sun:

Mike

Well, I've got the forks loose fitted tonight. Perfect fit :thumbsup:

Much thanks to Paul and Mike for all their technical and machine work help! :mg:

I would have set them up completely, but it was getting late, and I was getting tired, so I didn't want to rush anything and create an oops of some sort :o So I'll get them finished out tomorrow.

But one thing I did notice is that these are exactly, or darned close, the same length as the OEM LeMans fork. So Jaap, you should be able to just put these right in, without any additional length protruding above the clip-ons. They'll look just like those installed on the Rosso Corsa from the top of the triple clamps.

I tried to fit the stock V11 front fender, and although I had hoped I would have been able to fit a bracket/adapter as previously shown on another Ohlins conversion, in this case the stock fender just isn't going to fit. So, I'll have to get a Rosso or similar fender after all :( Ah well... :rolleyes:

But all-in-all, a perfect fit with no drama :thumbsup: That's how I like it :grin:

Jaap, you have yours fitted yet??

al

• 4 weeks later...
For those of you installing aftermarket forks; don't most race forks (certainly Ohlins)  use alloy internals?  And would these not degrade the oil quicker than steel internals?

I think that Ohlins recommend fork fluid changes every 5,000Km or less.

I have a mix of envy/admiration for those of you with both the time and disposable income to make the vast array of modifications proposed on this and other sites.

I'm not certain about the difference in the internals of the Ohlins R&T forks, versus "superbike" race forks, or as opposed to the stock Marz, but the Ohlins that myself, Paul, and Jaap have fitted are the MG OEM forks for the new Cafe' Sport.

So I would assume that they are similarly durable as they are original equipment, and there isn't any special considerations that I am aware of.

As far as I know, the Road&Track forks are designed as OEM replacements, and are comparable.

... and BTW, I've got them all installed, along with the Cafe' Sport Carbon fender. It all fit up just fine and looks quite good along with the polished front rim.

al

OK, well as mentioned in the dual-plug thread, I took the bike out for a short "shake-down" spin tonight after finishing a few projects, one of which was getting the front end all back together after installing the new axle, bearings, fender, and most importantly new Ohlins forks :sun:

Now first, just let me say that I personally liked the look of the black stock Marz forks better on the bike, but based on my very cursory spin around the block... I think I can grow to look past their gleaming gold tone :P

Well, it's too early to know anything in depth in regard to correct damping, spring-rate, etc... but I can say unequivocably that these forks are much more compliant than the Marzocchis.

One of the most noticeable differences was when transitioning the sharp curb one finds when riding into a driveway or parking lot. With the Marzocchis, that bump was always quite sharp and jarring. With the Ohlins, it's soaked right up :thumbsup:

Now, it may be true that the Marz weren't optimally setup, as I didn't spend a lot of time on them in that regard since I knew I was going to replace them. So it is perhaps true that they were overly harsh and/or could have been better than what I experienced if tuned. But from a quick 15 minute ride, the Ohlins.... also so far completely "unadjusted" .... feels worlds better :thumbsup:

....and of course, as others have pointed out, now with the front end feeling so good, the rear is highlighted as feeling even more especially like keeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrap :lol:

I know what's next on the shopping list, but then again, it already was :P

al

11_22_2003_002.jpg

I will concur on your evaluation of the Marzocchi LeMans forks Al, since I have your old ones. They're, uh... not too good. In fact, they don't even work as well as the Marzocchis fitted to the V11 Sports prior to 2002. Serviceable, but little more. I have a full set of WP suspension components on the way from England from a Guzzi "breaker" (salvage guy) that had a 97 Sport 1100i in the disassembly stages. I'm going for the front and rear components. This ought to result in less "culture shock" when changing between the Sport 1100i (which came with the full WP bit - and the purchase price showed it...) and the V11 Sport, which ought to have cost somewhat less because it didn't have WP suspension, but priced out at about the same level. Maybe the difference in 1997 dollars and 2001 dollars accounts for the difference. If you want really, really bad shocks, go ride an MG cruiser bike from the late 90's with the Bitubo crap. A straight strut has about the same ride. I put some Works Performance shocks on my 97 California. Better, but still quite harsh - even with the softer spring set. Next time it will be Hagons for that beast.

....partially all back together right after the "shake down" run B)

Technically, still have a few issues like cleaning up the relocated fuel-pump, new PCIII map, etc... but most of the "user serviceable" things on my list before the engine case swap are done.

Cosmetically, I still have to strip the rear wheel(while checking the splines and cush-drive for lubrication), and the current experimental powder-coated orange/red valve-covers are probably temporary until I get the new candy/metallic red coated ones back in a couple weeks.

...but it's coming together B)

11_22_2003_004.jpg

Looks stunning Al. And I'm glad you like the new fork!

As an aside: If it turns out like I planned, I'll get my hands on a pair of Café Sport Öhlins forks in february. Second hand but hardly used. When I actually have them in my garage I'll let you guys know. Some other parts too...

I thought you already had a set of the Cafe Sport Ohlins like Paul and I have??

If they are the same ones I bought from Paolo(who you picked yours up from) then they are the Cafe Sport forks already... the giveaway is that if they have a screw-in solid axle, they are the older Rosso forks, but if they take the larger hollow axle, then they are the Cafe version.

What ones do you have?

al